No soliciting permitted.

Adaptive Cruise/LKA effectiveness

chunky_mike

Reaction score
I would highly advise against this if you are using LFA on a bend. As i stated before, it can turn off at a moments notice without warning.

Oh yeah, I definitely keep an eye on the road at all times around curves and 99% of the time when I'm letting it "drive". Don't trust it for sharp highway turns and I watch more carefully when I'm around large trucks. For straightaways and gentle curves, it works really well. Makes my commute 100% better. Best feature on this amazing car.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

aperry

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in on the topic of "HDA standstill/resume" behavior. Last night I was on a major highway in Massachusetts (I-93) using HDA and I encountered a traffic jam. I was pleasantly surprised to see the car come to a complete stop for over 10 seconds and then automatically resume. I had expected that I'd need to "manually resume" with either the steering wheel switch or the gas pedal based on what I had read and seen in reviews. It seems to confirm what was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I also experimented with hands off the steering wheel (in the traffic jam) and noticed that it never asked me to put my hands back on the wheel. Does it not require this at very slow speeds? The traffic jam only lasted for maybe 5 minutes so I didn't get a chance to sufficiently test all of this, but it seemed encouraging for drivers who might have a stop-and-go daily commute on a highway. Maybe all of this behavior is already well-known by people in this forum, but it was a pleasant surprise to me. I have less than 1k on my 2021 Telly, so I'm still learning.

CaptChrisP

Reaction score
Man, I am loving SCC on the highway. Question: Does anyone understand the timing for driver feedback (if you take your hands off the wheel)? Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's best and safest to have hands on the wheel all the time, but I have a new Telly and I've been testing SCC to learn more about it and to build trust. I tend to see inconsistent timing from when I stop giving it feedback (take hands off wheel) to when it flashes a message on the screen and then shortly after starts beeping at me. Sometimes the message pops up maybe 45 seconds after feedback. But occasionally it's over a minute. Makes me wonder if it has an algorithm that determines the timing, or if it might be detecting "phantom" feedback (maybe over bumps?).
I don't know if there is any algorithm or not. I have noticed the same as you that the timing seems to be random. However, I have noticed that on long straightaways where the car doesn't need to correct its steering the interval that it takes to alert me goes up. I can only guess that it needs to register a certain number of times that it does not detect feedback either directly by you moving the wheel or resistance when it moves the wheel for you.

Tellthemride

Reaction score
noticed that it never asked me to put my hands back on the wheel.
It could be algorithm based as mentioned above. Or another factor could be the distance traveled without any driver input.

There is a touch sensor in the steering wheel. So you don’t necessarily need to turn/adjust the wheel, just grab it. Others have also said leaning your thigh/knee against the bottom is enough contact for the warning not to pop up either. But of course always pay attention to the road since this is not an autonomous car.

aperry

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you're both on to something. Long straight stretches seem to result in the longest amount of time between warnings. And it may be more about distance than time, which could explain more time between warnings at very slow speeds.

I had to make another trip through Boston today with some traffic. It wasn't really stop-and-go, but it was pretty slow. I believe the windshield camera is what detects lanes, and I suspect when it sees a curve approaching (possibly in combination with a certain speed) then it will also send the warning. There were stretches when it would only go 15 seconds or so (even at pretty slowly speeds), but every now and then I would get over a minute. The shorter intervals might have corresponded to crowded roads where it can't see the lanes clearly very far ahead.

By the way, I'm always doing this very carefully, and it's only to gather data and try to understand the car a little better. I don't normally try to drive with hands off the wheel!