No soliciting permitted.

Is The Towing Package Worth It?

Jody E

Reaction score
Thank you NCTelly and Frankie for your very kind and generous comments. I feel more confident than I did before that the Telluride will handle a teardrop trailer like the Rpod for my kind of camping. I don't even have the Rpod yet, I'm still researching to be sure whatever tow vehicle I get, it can handle my idea of a camper (teardrop, light, no big honking RV). I don't want to get a truck, I still commute to work and my wife and I like basic road trips so I need a car that will do both - ride well but can tow my small trailer when needed. Seems the Telluride falls within that category.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a great example for when the self-leveling shocks would be nice. This morning I measured my stock ride height of my S FWD with no tow package and regular shocks: 32 5/8” with the yard stick centered in the hub from the ground to the bottom edge of the wheel well trim.

I then mounted my hitch mount basket and luggage to hang about 180lbs off the hitch receiver. Over my rear axle I had 2 bags of dog food a large filled cooler 2 dogs and 2 kids in the captains chairs (nothing on the roof), so about 375lbs. With the 180 that puts me at about 540lbs. The rear dropped me to 30 3/4”. So that’s a drop of 1 7/8”. I think if I had self leveling shocks they would have activated and gotten me back or close to original drive height.

Kia could have just left the Tow Option called a Tow Option and renamed the self leveling shocks and springs as a “Heavy Load Convenience Package” and bundled them together to lessen the confusion that the shocks help with towing.

Attachments

Last edited:

alexdrums

Reaction score
I have a great example for when the self-leveling shocks would be nice. This morning I measured my stock ride height of my S FWD with no tow package and regular shocks: 32 5/8” with the yard stick centered in the hub from the ground to the bottom edge of the wheel well trim.

I then mounted my hitch mount basket and luggage to hang about 180lbs off the hitch receiver. Over my rear axle I had 2 bags of dog food a large filled cooler 2 dogs and 2 kids in the captains chairs (nothing on the roof), so about 375lbs. With the 180 that puts me at about 540lbs. The rear dropped me to 30 3/4”. So that’s a drop of 1 7/8”. I think if I had self leveling shocks they would have activated and gotten me back or close to original drive height.

Kia could have just left the Tow Option called a Tow Option and renamed the self leveling shocks and springs as a “Heavy Load Convenience Package” and bundled them together to lessen the confusion that the shocks help with towing.
I think your hitch basket would act as a lever and put additional weight on the back of your vehicle. I am not sure what the math calculation would be, but it would have something to do with the distance from the hitch to the end of your hitch basket. For example, if that distance equaled 1/4 of the total length of the vehicle, you would multiply the 1/4 length to a factor multiplied by the weight and add the additional weight? Something like that...I suck at math!
And you are right, the main advantage of the self-leveling suspension is for carrying heavy cargo, not for towing.

TheNip73

Reaction score

You have a little dinger above that wheel - ouch! Hurt my eyes to see.

alexdrums

Reaction score

And I was just thinking if you could measure the tongue weight with the hitch basket on and loaded, and the vehicle unloaded, that would give you the true weight of the hitch basket.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
And I was just thinking if you could measure the tongue weight with the hitch basket on and loaded, and the vehicle unloaded, that would give you the true weight of the hitch basket.
Based on the Amazon product description the basket weight is 60lbs. I looked up the weight of the dog crate and guessed the weight of the three pieces of luggage.

alexdrums

Reaction score
I am trying to say the actual weight of your hitch basket and its contents are heavier at the tongue, since the weight is placed on a lever hanging off the end of your vehicle, and not on the vehicle itself.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I am trying to say the actual weight of your hitch basket and its contents are heavier at the tongue, since the weight is placed on a lever hanging off the end of your vehicle, and not on the vehicle itself.
I think I see what you mean. So it’s not as simple as the hitch and basket are both rated for 500lbs, so my cargo limit is 500-60=440 because I have to subtract the weight of the basket. You are saying that the “lever” which is part of the basket adds more to the tongue weight vs a trailer with a hitch ball mount?

I’m just assuming that the down force at the basket is equal to the downforce where the connector touched the hitch receiver.

Last edited:

alexdrums

Reaction score
I’m just assuming that the down force at the basket is equal to the downforce where the connector touched the hitch receiver.
I’m saying the downforce is greater at the tongue. Imagine if you could mount the basket right on the hitch ball, and the hitch ball is the fulcrum, or the pivot point of the lever. Now if you move that basket out on a rigid bar (a lever), further away from the car you get more downforce or more “leverage” according to the principle of how a lever works. So I am thinking it transfers that additional force to the tongue, since that is the pivot point of the lever.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I’m saying the downforce is greater at the tongue. Imagine if you could mount the basket right on the hitch ball, and the hitch ball is the fulcrum, or the pivot point of the lever. Now if you move that basket out on a rigid bar (a lever), further away from the car you get more downforce or more “leverage” according to the principle of how a lever works. So I am thinking it transfers that additional force to the tongue, since that is the pivot point of the lever.
While fascinating, I think you guys are splitting hairs here.

Wife at camping site: "where's my wine?"

Husband: "well honey, the trailer load was over it's maximum of 5,000 pounds with the wine, so I dumped the wine in favor of keeping my beer."

Wife: "How much did it weigh with the wine?"

Husband's final words before death" "5,001..."

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Just spit balling here, but what if the original misprint by Kia in the Owner's Manual of 351 lbs of hitch weight was actually the limit on hanging stuff off the hitch receiver because of that overhang? vs the trailering hitch weight of 500 lbs which they typically suggest you measure with a scale at the trailer stand.

I took a look at the Hyundai Palisade's website and I think they handle this much better than Kia (of course they had more time since Kia came first). There is a Convenience Package that can be added to the top two trims that adds self-leveling shocks. Then there is a tow hitch option that can be added to all three Palisade trims, but does not appear to include the 4-pin harness. They mention the Palisade is pre-wired for the 4-pin harness just like the Telluride. So basically Hyundai accurately makes no mention of the self-leveling shocks having any benefit when towing. They also have a cheaper tow hitch receiver option but it doesn't come with the 4-pin harness so it's ready to hang a bike or cargo carrier but not tow until you add the 4-pin harness. It would not surprise me if Kia adopts this type of approach in the 2021 model year or adds a true 7-pin factory option, (maybe even a brake controller). But at a minimum removes the idea that that self-leveling actually helps with towing vs. rear passenger and cargo weight.

Last edited:

alexdrums

Reaction score
While fascinating, I think you guys are splitting hairs here.

Wife at camping site: "where's my wine?"

Husband: "well honey, the trailer load was over it's maximum of 5,000 pounds with the wine, so I dumped the wine in favor of keeping my beer."

Wife: "How much did it weigh with the wine?"

Husband's final words before death" "5,001..."
Well, number 1. I am fascinated with levers and how they work. And number 2:
It is hard to see why having a hitch basket is any help at all. Just a massive, cumbersome hunk of metal on the back of your car that will make it do a wheelie going down the road. A small, ultra light trailer would be much easier to deal with, and when it is unloaded you can simply hook it up and move it around by hand.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, number 1. I am fascinated with levers and how they work. And number 2:
It is hard to see why having a hitch basket is any help at all. Just a massive, cumbersome hunk of metal on the back of your car that will make it do a wheelie going down the road. A small, ultra light trailer would be much easier to deal with, and when it is unloaded you can simply hook it up and move it around by hand.
A short trip a to a beach where parking is limited. Or when you maxed out roof rack capacity and need to just fit two more suitcases for that family vacation. Plus you don’t have to pay tolls for the hitch basket. I like my small utility trailer but it’s not practical to hook up for everything.

blitt

Reaction score
I think it is worth it for the self leveling shocks, even if you do not tow.
...and that's me....I don't tow anything, BUT want the capability to do a minimal tow should I need to AND, the package on this vehicle does provide a step up in the suspension, AND a tow package on an SUV does add to the value as a potential trade in the future. For all of those reasons I have always added a tow package to every SUV i have owned. So for me, it was a yes!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay I have a situation. I had placed an order and initially did not have a tow package. Later on I told the dealer to make and edit to the order and add it. However looks that did not happen and just got the Vin details and it is missing. The order will be coming in next week. If I need tow I will have to wait again.

So do I go ahead and purchase the one coming without tow. By the way I have never towed anything yet and may not own a boat or Rv anytime soon.

Nas4atu10

Reaction score
Okay I have a situation. I had placed an order and initially did not have a tow package. Later on I told the dealer to make and edit to the order and add it. However looks that did not happen and just got the Vin details and it is missing. The order will be coming in next week. If I need tow I will have to wait again.

So do I go ahead and purchase the one coming without tow. By the way I have never towed anything yet and may not own a boat or Rv anytime soon.
Unless you also need the self leveling suspension, I believe (believe being the key word), your dealer can add on the towing package when it arrives at the dealership.

jw_tx21

SUSTAINING MEMBER
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
And without towing do I need the self leveling suspension. Reading this post it looks it may help even with people and luggage load.
I would just buy the one without the tow package and add a hitch if you need it. You don't need the self leveling shocks - as long as you're happy with the way the one you have ordered drives. You can save the $800. I think the regular shocks that come with the Telluride are very good. If you ever load the vehicle down to the point that it's really sagging, you can always have a $100 set of air bags added in the springs. Folks have posted about that.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Reaction score
I would just buy the one without the tow package and add a hitch if you need it. You don't need the self leveling shocks - as long as you're happy with the way the one you have ordered drives. You can save the $800. I think the regular shocks that come with the Telluride are very good. If you ever load the vehicle down to the point that it's really sagging, you can always have a $100 set of air bags added in the springs. Folks have posted about that.
I Love this Forum, You learn so many neat things!!!!