Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Harmon Kardon vs standard radio

Clemson1985

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
New member here. I am also on the fence between an EX and SX and I like music. We had a HK system in a mini cooper years ago and I was not impressed. I guess I need to listen to both systems before I place my order. I foresee a White EX or SX within the next 6 months or so in my driveway.

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I've had experienced Shaker Pro 1000 in my Mustang, Bose in my Camaro, and now HK in our Telluride. I'd say the HK system is on par with the others, and sound is definitely much better than the system that is on the EX or below.

Is it as good as the Mark Levinson audio found in Lexus? No. But it's definitely a good system.

cliffnerd5

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Came from B&O in my Audi to SX HK. Not as good as the B&O, but still plenty good. Definitely better than the EX I had tested beforehand.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

aomikeylove

Reaction score
I pick up my white EX tomorrow evening. Spent all day deciding what song to play first on my drive home. During a test drive I thought the standard EX system sounded decent/good. I’ll report back in a couple days after I put it through the paces with various genres.

gzy99

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have the HK system in another KIA and after tweaking all of the different settings (there are a ton), I think it sounds pretty good. Definitely an upgrade from the standard radio.
If you could list all the tweaks, that would definitely help.

Clemson1985

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess it is an EX or S for me due to SX not having the option for 8 passenger seating. I need the second row bench for disability reasons. I will adjust to the base radio. Gonna be tough coming from my Pontiac G8 GT Blaupunkt that has 2 subs and amps from the Factory. It is the best system I have ever owned and hands down better than any Bose, Hk or Alpine that I have owned.

itschris

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You’re really going to need to add an AMP and a sub to get any substantial improvements. I’m looking at the one Alpine that 2x2x1 and a 10” sub. The one shop I spoke with said they’re not quite up to speed in dealing with the latest generation stereos. There’s all type of issues like the auto volume controls for instance for warnings and other voice overs. He said theyve done it but haven’t fully conquered it quite yet. He said that any shop that says “sure no problem” is full of crap. So I’m gonna head back on a few months and check to see where we’re at. I’m not going to dump thousands into but I think for about a grand you should be able to add quality power and some better quality bass.

BPM

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If you could list all the tweaks, that would definitely help.
Remember, this is in a Stinger with a significantly smaller cabin, but, this works well for me, and I usually enjoy a lot of bass. I listen to a lot of SiriusXM, and it's compressed at a ridiculous level.

Tone:
  • Bass +3
  • Mid 0
  • Treble +2
Quantum Logic:
  • Audience Mode
Clari-Fi:
  • Checked.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
There was a speaker upgrade post the other day and the OP claims the speaker are the same you just get the center speaker and sub in the SX. Not sure how he verified that, but thought it was interesting.

Fivestar

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a S with the basic setup. It's passable but not anything to rave about. With head units such as these, is it even possible to upgrade the sound. Amp? Speakers? Sub? I have no idea where to begin. thx

Fivestar

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You’re really going to need to add an AMP and a sub to get any substantial improvements. I’m looking at the one Alpine that 2x2x1 and a 10” sub. The one shop I spoke with said they’re not quite up to speed in dealing with the latest generation stereos. There’s all type of issues like the auto volume controls for instance for warnings and other voice overs. He said theyve done it but haven’t fully conquered it quite yet. He said that any shop that says “sure no problem” is full of crap. So I’m gonna head back on a few months and check to see where we’re at. I’m not going to dump thousands into but I think for about a grand you should be able to add quality power and some better quality bass.
Good to know....that seems to be the case, naturally, for any kind of aftermarket upgrade. I will be interested to see what becomes available. Thx

whyidie

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Think my ears are still adjusting to the speakers on SXP. Sometimes it sounds fine. Other times sounds like compressed audio..bass is muddy, mid is tinny, no clarity.

Rx9790

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Interesting find! Apparently I didn't scour the menu enough. I wondered why the sound was like a concert hall/a bit of echo... this is probably why.

I think the SX sound system is pretty good overall. Could use better bass, but I'm happy with it. It does sound like there is a speaker in the dash as well, so advertised 10 speakers doesn't add up. Seems like 11 speakers + subwoofer - a pitifully small one.
Check your math. 2 in each front door, 1 in each rear door, 2 in the third row, dash, sub. 4+2+2+1+1

JCzoom

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I was nervous about the HK system because the one in my X3 is crap. But the HK system in my SXP is amazing! It’s much better than the one in my X3. My settings:
Bass=4, Mid=2,Treble=6t. Advanced settings: Quantum Logos Sound = on, Bass Boost = on.
I havent been very impressed with the HK system on my wifes SX, so thanks for the settings, I'll try that. I had a 2005 Acura TSX with a stock Bose system that sounded much better.. Hopefully with some tuning, I'll get it to sound better. (already had the Logo and bass boost on)

Rondakay

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I havent been very impressed with the HK system on my wifes SX, so thanks for the settings, I'll try that. I had a 2005 Acura TSX with a stock Bose system that sounded much better.. Hopefully with some tuning, I'll get it to sound better. (already had the Logo and bass boost on)
I will tell you - I think the Radio sounds pretty lame but when I played Pandora through the Blue Tooth it sounded awesome - might have something to do with the source - although ALL of the radio stations I played were not great.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I will tell you - I think the Radio sounds pretty lame but when I played Pandora through the Blue Tooth it sounded awesome - might have something to do with the source - although ALL of the radio stations I played were not great.
Was it XM? I’ve played around with XM and have had the trial on a few other cars but man is the quality terrible (at least in my area). It’s sounds like the radio is receiving a signal through a old soup can tied to a string! And they want $10 a month?? Spotify/Apple music doesn’t cost that much and offers so much more in terms of actual music. And don’t even get me started on the fact that an entire station is dedicated to Tom Petty. His music is fine, but really, a whole station???