• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Telluride drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

How To: Full Tow Hitch Install

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@2020 Telly,
You are correct and also very good information.
The prewired connector in the rear drivers side quarter panel is actually designed for 12 wires, but as you mentioned only 7 wires are actually wired to it and it seems to serve no other purpose than to connect to the 7 pin trailer harness. Attached is a photo of that 12 pin connector before I hooked up the 7 pin harness for anyone interested in what it looks like.

Also, I did my first tow yesterday with success. For my wired brake controller, I got a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 (not endorsing anything) and mounted that by the hood release near where my left foot rests while driving. I connected/soldered the pigtail wires that came with the P3 to the pig tail connector part AC060 and connected that to the 4 pin connector under the dash.
Nice work! Glad to hear it was success. I read someone else on this forum mention a Kia parts dept referring to the harness as 12-pin and that makes it extra confusing for people just starting out.

Last edited:

thehellyouride

Reaction score
Hi all, if there's anybody who removed their bumper hitch cover (to install the tow package), in BLACK, and would be willing to sell it, I'm interested. I´m in Toronto, Canada, so I would need to factor in the cost of shipping it up here. Please contact me. Thanks!

Fully2k

Reaction score
Hi all, if there's anybody who removed their bumper hitch cover (to install the tow package), in BLACK, and would be willing to sell it, I'm interested. I´m in Toronto, Canada, so I would need to factor in the cost of shipping it up here. Please contact me. Thanks!
How soon do you need it? I'm trying to make my decision today whether I buy the OEM hitch or go with the Curt model. If I do OEM I will have the piece available for you.

BoulderT4R

Reaction score
Hi all- is the ~$50 bumper cover piece required? Or is it just for aesthetics?
I have ordered the hitch and only plan to use it for a bike rack so I won’t be installing the wiring harness. So that has me questioning if the bumper cover is really a requirement. Thanks!

aperry

Reaction score
Hi all- is the ~$50 bumper cover piece required? Or is it just for aesthetics?
I have ordered the hitch and only plan to use it for a bike rack so I won’t be installing the wiring harness. So that has me questioning if the bumper cover is really a requirement. Thanks!
I don't remember it being required for any other reason than aesthetics. But it might look pretty rough and unfinished without it. I installed the factory hitch rack for same reason (and also without the harness).

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

BoulderT4R

Reaction score
I don't remember it being required for any other reason than aesthetics. But it might look pretty rough and unfinished without it. I installed the factory hitch rack for same reason (and also without the harness).
Thanks! Is the bumper cover something I can put on after the fact or does it need to go on at the same time the hitch is installed?

PittPa

Reaction score
You can put it on after the installation. I would consider installing it if you can, it completes the "factory" look and just looks better overall. These can be found on Ebay. I sold the part I took off for not much less than I paid for the trim part.

aperry

Reaction score
Just want to comment that the installation instructions (including cover) are in the first post of this thread. In a nutshell, you do all the hard work before installing the cover.

PittPa

Reaction score
I think you are only going to find them in silver unless its a Nightsky version. Even if its silver, I little prep and some black paint to match would be easy. Its an easy part to get close enough with the color match and no one would notice.

Zipp

Reaction score
I think you are only going to find them in silver unless its a Nightsky version. Even if its silver, I little prep and some black paint to match would be easy. Its an easy part to get close enough with the color match and no one would notice.
For clarification, is the bumper cover the flat black bumper plate ($45) ?

Thanks!

Zipp

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210610-213217_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210610-213217_Chrome.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 17

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
That piece (S9F61-AU060) is only required if you go with the Kia hitch receiver that sits embedded in the bumper. It's not needed if you go with the Curt aftermarket options (ex. Curt, Reese, Drawtite, Stealth, etc.) that all sit below the entire bumper. That black bumper plate is not shiny like the Nightfall. It matches the black molding on all other Tellurides.

To install the bumper plate you must remove two other parts (that are effectively a filler insert into the entire bumper cover.) It's incorrectly named a "hitch cover" except you use it when you don't have a hitch. So it's not removable to cover the hitch receiver. That insert has one piece that is silver on most Tellurides (86672-S9010) and a second plastic black piece called a skid plate (86673-S9000), but again it's not a skid plate, it's more like a trim finishing. Presumably the Nightfall has one or both pieces in shiny black? Some people who install the aftermarket options end up having to cut one or both of these pieces to make the aftermarket hitch fit, but you don't need the S9F61-AU060 if you are going with aftermarket.

I don't know that I have seen any Kia parts websites that sell 86673-S9000 or 86672-S9010 separately. What I have seen is the parts for the entire bumper cover that may include these parts for $350-375. I have no idea how expensive the shiny Nightfall bumper cover is to replace, but I would be scared to scratch it. Gone are the days of a bumper being the only thing you don't care about on the car. Calling a finishing piece a skid plate doesn't make sense to me. I think of a skid plate as a metal or hard plastic piece you don't really care about meant to protect the body parts. On the front of the vehicle Kia has a metal skid plat accessory that goes under the bumper. But on the rear they call the plastic molding pieces skid plates.

Attachments

• fillter-top.PNG
    fillter-top.PNG
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 16
  • filler-under.PNG
    filler-under.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • hitch-cover-partnum.PNG
    hitch-cover-partnum.PNG
    299.9 KB · Views: 15
  • skidplate-partnum.PNG
    skidplate-partnum.PNG
    245.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
These are essentially the differences.

The Stealth hitch and the drawtite appear to be the two aftermarket options that don't require any cutting if you don't want to.

What the Draw-tite looks like without cutting: Aftermarket Hitch

What the Curt looks like with minimal cutting: How To: Full Tow Hitch Install

What an aftermarket hitch looks like without the finishing cover: How To: Full Tow Hitch Install

Close up of the NightSky/Nightfall bumper with the tow hitch bumper cover: 2021 SX Nightfall - Towing Package - Towing Capabilities ??

Close up of a Nightfall bumper without tow: How To: Full Tow Hitch Install

Attachments

• oem-silver bumper.gif
    oem-silver bumper.gif
    159.2 KB · Views: 104
  • aftermarket-cut-bumperfillerplate.jpg
    aftermarket-cut-bumperfillerplate.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 63
  • nightfall-oem-kia-hitch.PNG
    nightfall-oem-kia-hitch.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • aftermarket-nocut-stealth.jpg
    aftermarket-nocut-stealth.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

thehellyouride

Reaction score
How soon do you need it? I'm trying to make my decision today whether I buy the OEM hitch or go with the Curt model. If I do OEM I will have the piece available for you.
Hi, thanks! I'm in no rush whatsoever. I'm being proactive in case the dealer gives me a hard time at the end of my lease for cutting a hole through the cover, in order neatly install the Curtis hitch at U-haul. I don't want to deal with that when the time comes. Yours is gray though, correct? Mine is black....

Fully2k

Reaction score
Hi, thanks! I'm in no rush whatsoever. I'm being proactive in case the dealer gives me a hard time at the end of my lease for cutting a hole through the cover, in order neatly install the Curtis hitch at U-haul. I don't want to deal with that when the time comes. Yours is gray though, correct? Mine is black....
Yeah it is silver/gray... good call. My bad there.

thehellyouride

Reaction score
That piece (S9F61-AU060) is only required if you go with the Kia hitch receiver that sits embedded in the bumper. It's not needed if you go with the Curt aftermarket options (ex. Curt, Reese, Drawtite, Stealth, etc.) that all sit below the entire bumper. That black bumper plate is not shiny like the Nightfall. It matches the black molding on all other Tellurides.

To install the bumper plate you must remove two other parts (that are effectively a filler insert into the entire bumper cover.) It's incorrectly named a "hitch cover" except you use it when you don't have a hitch. So it's not removable to cover the hitch receiver. That insert has one piece that is silver on most Tellurides (86672-S9010) and a second plastic black piece called a skid plate (86673-S9000), but again it's not a skid plate, it's more like a trim finishing. Presumably the Nightfall has one or both pieces in shiny black? Some people who install the aftermarket options end up having to cut one or both of these pieces to make the aftermarket hitch fit, but you don't need the S9F61-AU060 if you are going with aftermarket.

I don't know that I have seen any Kia parts websites that sell 86673-S9000 or 86672-S9010 separately. What I have seen is the parts for the entire bumper cover that may include these parts for $350-375. I have no idea how expensive the shiny Nightfall bumper cover is to replace, but I would be scared to scratch it. Gone are the days of a bumper being the only thing you don't care about on the car. Calling a finishing piece a skid plate doesn't make sense to me. I think of a skid plate as a metal or hard plastic piece you don't really care about meant to protect the body parts. On the front of the vehicle Kia has a metal skid plat accessory that goes under the bumper. But on the rear they call the plastic molding pieces skid plates.
Hi 2020Telly, thanks for your explanation. I'm just still a bit confused about the difference between 86672-S9010 and 86673-S9000. Is it that the first one is silver and the latter one in shiny black (for the Nightfall black glossy bumber)? I did find an online seller offering a 86673-S9000 but it's silver though... and this filler insert or whatever we should call it doesn't show in any of the Kia parts diagram I saw. As per your comment, I think you can only get it if you order the whole bumper cover. At this point, I'm thinking perhaps getting the grey and painting it black (maybe spray paint it gloss or semi-gloss black, whatever looks the closest to the rest of the bumper). Afterall, it'll just be handed over to the dealership together with the plastic rocker panel covers that they will remove when installing my OEM sidesteps. Or maybe the other way around. I'll cut the silver one, paint it black and use it with my aftermarket hitch, leaving the black one intact....

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi 2020Telly, thanks for your explanation. I'm just still a bit confused about the difference between 86672-S9010 and 86673-S9000. Is it that the first one is silver and the latter one in shiny black (for the Nightfall black glossy bumber)? I did find an online seller offering a 86673-S9000 but it's silver though... and this filler insert or whatever we should call it doesn't show in any of the Kia parts diagram I saw. As per your comment, I think you can only get it if you order the whole bumper cover. At this point, I'm thinking perhaps getting the grey and painting it black (maybe spray paint it gloss or semi-gloss black, whatever looks the closest to the rest of the bumper). Afterall, it'll just be handed over to the dealership together with the plastic rocker panel covers that they will remove when installing my OEM sidesteps. Or maybe the other way around. I'll cut the silver one, paint it black and use it with my aftermarket hitch, leaving the black one intact....
The pictures in the post above are for the two parts that make up the silver one.
I’m assuming most people/places will sell them together. I do not know what the part numbers are for the nightfall bumper. If you go with the aftermarket hitch on the nightfall and require cutting but don’t want to cut the original, I think that buying a silver and painting it black makes sense to me.

Fully2k

Reaction score
Hi Fully2K, I can't figure out how to send a private message here. If you know how, please ping if you decide to get rid of yours. Thanks!
Yeah I ran into that same issue on messaging. I think it's a function of new account and/or how active you are... I can't send private messages as well.

In regards to the bumper piece I'll keep you posted as this would work out perfectly (would help subsidize some of my tow upgrade). Looks like $21.25 USD on USPS shipping using cheapest option unless you see differently (would hope 1-2 week max delivery time).

In the meantime I'll try to figure out private messaging from one of the admins so we can coordinate later.

thehellyouride

Reaction score
The pictures in the post above are for the two parts that make up the silver one.
I’m assuming most people/places will sell them together. I do not know what the part numbers are for the nightfall bumper. If you go with the aftermarket hitch on the nightfall and require cutting but don’t want to cut the original, I think that buying a silver and painting it black makes sense to me.
Ahhh, I think I finally got it! The photo attached (originally posted by nightfallsx in the "2021 Telluride Nightfall Rear Bumper Skid Plate Part Number" thread) shows that second part you were referring to, right? I agree the sensible thing to do would be to get just a silver cover, cut it, paint it and attach it with my Curt aftermarket hitch. Unless a black one shows up for grabs! :) Thanks!

Attachments

• trunk Kia Telluride Nightfall Edition 2021.jpg
    trunk Kia Telluride Nightfall Edition 2021.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 21