No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Replaced reverse lights!

Cacolon

Reaction score
For the fronts, reach all the way to where the bulb should be and you'll feel a tab. That's the bulb holder. It's about 4-5 inches long. To remove: turn counterclockwise. To install: That's where you have to get creative. I used a spline socket to get more leverage on the tab. And wait for the engine to cool!

For the rears, just remove the taillight assembly and you're there.

Good luck!

mrluckee

Reaction score
Someone on a Telluride Facebook group replaced them and spilled the details on how to do it!

Rather simple... grab the handle on the inside of the hatch while open, and twist it back towards you and should reveal 2 screws.. remove the screws and gently pull the panel back which reveals the location of the bulbs..
What model do you have , i have SX, any issue experience once you installed led back up light?

TelluVision

Reaction score
So here's my rendition of replacing the Reverse Lights With a Very Cool Looking Strobe LED Light... This is BEYOND simple to do anyone can do it so rest assure. So to answer right off the bat no these do not strobe continuously when on; when you change your gear to Reverse they strobe (blink) 3 times and then stay on for the duration the gear is in Reverse. If you have any questions feel free to reply Hope this helps!
View attachment 2860 View attachment 2861 View attachment 2862 View attachment 2863 View attachment 2864 View attachment 2865
Any idea why amazon says this part doesn’t fit?

Attachments

ElCangriz

Reaction score
Any idea why amazon says this part doesn’t fit?
9 out 10 Places where you go to find anything for the Kia Telluride it will say "Not compatible" or "This item does not fit" because the Telluride is a brand new model... most places haven't tested or cross referenced parts that are compatible. Clearly it is compatible if not I wouldn't have posted these lights here... (& I don't mean to sound rude... but really why would I put an incompatible part here...)

TelluVision

Reaction score
9 out 10 Places where you go to find anything for the Kia Telluride it will say "Not compatible" or "This item does not fit" because the Telluride is a brand new model... most places haven't tested or cross referenced parts that are compatible. Clearly it is compatible if not I wouldn't have posted these lights here... (& I don't mean to sound rude... but really why would I put an incompatible part here...)
I wasn’t doubting whether it was compatible, obviously it worked if you used it successfully. I was asking why Amazon says it’s not (which you answered now). I don’t mean to sound rude, but read what I asked again, I didn’t question that you posted something not compatible. Don’t get so defensive.

RA Feutz

Reaction score
For the fronts, reach all the way to where the bulb should be and you'll feel a tab. That's the bulb holder. It's about 4-5 inches long. To remove: turn counterclockwise. To install: That's where you have to get creative. I used a spline socket to get more leverage on the tab. And wait for the engine to cool!

For the rears, just remove the taillight assembly and you're there.

Good luck!
Getting at those side marker lights is tricky, but can be done. I was able to locate and remove them by hand (barely). Your idea of using the socket lug worked ace for removing one of them, after that I was able to get in there with minimal knuckle scrape. Quick note, make sure the polarity is proper when installing the (LED's). I installed wrong and had to remove (again) once I figured it out proper.

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
Just replaced both reverse and license plate lights in ours. Soooo much brighter. No pictures of the reverse lights as they didn't show up, but did get some before/during/after of the license plate lights.

IMG_20200105_113452.jpg IMG_20200105_113651.jpg IMG_20200105_114152.jpg IMG_20200105_114516.jpg

RA Feutz

Reaction score
Someone on a Telluride Facebook group replaced them and spilled the details on how to do it!

Rather simple... grab the handle on the inside of the hatch while open, and twist it back towards you and should reveal 2 screws.. remove the screws and gently pull the panel back which reveals the location of the bulbs..

Tellthemride

Reaction score
TLDR: Removing all panels on the trunk lid was a better solution than just removing one.

I swapped out my reverse light bulbs and license plate bulbs with LEDs. The plate light was super easy. Not much slack on the cable though, and the bulb is pretty snug, so I had to use leather gloves to pry them out. Rubber gloves would also help if you have them. Made sure to check polarity was correct before closing it all back up.

The reverse lights were a whole other beast. Seeing the photos and watching the YouTube video made it look easy to disassemble the trunk panel (which it was), but the bulb socket was a PITA to get to this way and screwing the socket back into place without taking the panel completely off. For a moment I thought I dislodged some adapter cause I could not get the socket to latch for the life of me.

The other major problem I encountered was that the panel would not align back up properly at the glass and where the bottom panel meets the side panels, and the pins near the center would not align properly either. There was a little plastic piece in the corners (holding the wiring for the rear defroster?) protruding out between the glass and panel, which clearly was not supposed to be showing.

I followed the advice of the other members here who said the top and side panels on the trunk can also be easily removed. Once I did that, the large panel was able to align perfectly and I was able to close everything back up in factory condition.

You can start pulling the middle of the top panel, under the third brake light between the glass. There are 6 screws in total including the handle. Two on the bottom of the side panels that hold the large bottom one up, and two on the top of the side panels that hold those up. Everything is held in place by the plastic pins otherwise. It’s also worth noting to pull down on the latch part of the panel because forcing out the corner of the panel will likely warp/bend the plastic by the handle area.

When closing up the large bottom panel. I started by pushing in the middle to make sure the central pins clipped into place then worked my way around the outer portion to hear the other pins click into place, while watching the edges line up flush with the trunk lid.

It may be possible just to pop out the bottom of the side panels to remove the screws for the large bottom panel, but I found it was easy to pull from the top.

I’ve included photos of the panels, pin locations, and screw locations. And what it looks like underneath them. Hope it helps the next DIY member who wants to give it a go.

Reverse light bulbs I used

AUXITO 912 921 LED Backup Light... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728DYR9H?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Plate light bulbs I used

194 LED Bulb 3030 Chipset T10 194... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRVN7R6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’m quite happy with the results. Looks to be 6000k color to me. Just hope they won’t require changing any time soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Here are some more photos showing the defroster piece showing due to poor alignment, and what it looks like without the panel. Some photos also showing how well the panels aligned up properly after removing and replacing all. And the swapped license plate lights.

Attachments

blitt

Reaction score
I installed some LED reverse lights now but the issue is that they work when reversing, but when you put back into park or drive, they stay on. They dim and do not shut off. Anyone else have this issue?
That can be a problem with LED lights ( all....cars, home, etc.). The quality between brands makes a difference in how sensitive they are to the voltage and amperage data in the systems to which they are being installed. Unfortunately the OEM backup lights on the Telly are next to useless......KIA should be considering replacing them for all of us as a "good will" gesture!

LtFireguy

Reaction score
That can be a problem with LED lights ( all....cars, home, etc.). The quality between brands makes a difference in how sensitive they are to the voltage and amperage data in the systems to which they are being installed. Unfortunately the OEM backup lights on the Telly are next to useless......KIA should be considering replacing them for all of us as a "good will" gesture!
I don't think Kia will ever replace them because backup lights were never meant to light the way for you backing up. I've got LED tail lights and you would think they would give you LED license plate lights and reverse lights since every other light on the vehicle is LED but they don't, at least not here in Canada.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

RA Feutz

Reaction score
Somebody, for the love of god, tell me how to change out the directional bulbs in the bumper assembly of the lower end models! I have a basic S model. Request number 8 regarding this!

blitt

Reaction score
I don't think Kia will ever replace them because backup lights were never meant to light the way for you backing up. I've got LED tail lights and you would think they would give you LED license plate lights and reverse lights since every other light on the vehicle is LED but they don't, at least not here in Canada.
If they were "never meant to light the way......" what WERE they meant for? I do agree all lighting should be LED these days...... no reason not to be!

LtFireguy

Reaction score
If they were "never meant to light the way......" what WERE they meant for? I do agree all lighting should be LED these days...... no reason not to be!
Ummmm... although they do provide a little illumination, reverse lights are really meant to tell people you are in reverse and about to back up.

Jmoney9003

Reaction score
Without question to change out the back up lights just take the whole thing apart starting from the top. You’ll save yourself time and aggravation, I did mine today without a problem!

mrluckee

Reaction score
Without question to change out the back up lights just take the whole thing apart starting from the top. You’ll save yourself time and aggravation, I did mine today without a problem!
Do you have sample pics sir how to remove one by one? Thanks