Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Telluride 5,000lbs Has Additional Towing Requirments

Wap52

Reaction score
I've noticed that there appears to be some inquiries about potential discrepancies to tow 5000lbs with a Telluride.

The Telluride is rated to tow 5,000lbs, because of it's power train abilities. This does not mean with either the Tow Hitch accessory or the Tow Hitch w/ Auto-leveling package avaliable on the EX and SX you can simply hook-up a 5,000lbs trailer/load and drive off safely.

Here's what I mean;
Customers are purchasing their Telluride's with the understanding they can immediately tow the maximum capacity because that's how it is being advertised. There are additional required equipment in order to tow this. First, each state has laws in regards to pulling a trailer.
For example;
I live in Iowa, and our Iowa Code per https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/ is as follows.

"Every trailer of a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 3,000 lbs. must be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the vehicle, and so designed as to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab, or with self-actuating brakes, and a weight-equalizing hitch with a sway control. Every trailer of a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must be equipped with a separate, auxiliary means of applying the brakes on the trailer from the cab of the towing vehicle."

With this being said, in my state, if you are towing more then 3,000lbs you must have an electronic brake controller in the vehicle. Even if you have a self-actuating braking system and not an electronic one, you still must be equip with a separate means of applying the trailer brakes from within the cab of the Telluride. Again, this is the law in the State of Iowa.

Adding this hardware is common in MANY vehicles that are capable of towing capacities that exceed certain requirements by your state. In my personal opinion, this is not something Kia is refraining from disclosing, but something that as a corporation they are simply disclosing the towing capacity of their vehicle.

Also, the tow hitch on the Telluride is in fact a 4-pin. Some states require that to be 7-pin, etc. Here are two illustrations to give you an idea of harness requirements and options depending on what it is you're towing.

View attachment 1045

Also, here are some optional ways to achieve the proper harness adapter you would need;

View attachment 1046

References;
State Trailer Brake requirements; https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
Trailer pin and harness breakdown; The Ins and Outs of Vehicle and Trailer Wiring
Great article. Thanks for the pictures. I am assuming I will be okay pulling my 3100 lb bass boat in Texas without brakes on the trailer, but then again we all know what happens to anyone that assumes.

monkeyman

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Just looked at the Pallisade manual and it says 350 lb tongue weight and 5000 lb towing too :(. I didn't find anything about it being 4 or 7 pin though.

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Great article. Thanks for the pictures. I am assuming I will be okay pulling my 3100 lb bass boat in Texas without brakes on the trailer, but then again we all know what happens to anyone that assumes.
On my 2013 Kia Sorento I found the red wire was for back up lights and I wired in a 5 pin connector for surge brakes on boat trailer. I needed the back up light to Disengage the surge brakes while backing up. I found in on the left 1/4 rear trim see photos

Attachments

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Old
08-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Miss Rita's AvatarMiss Rita

MC Devotee
Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
A boat trailer, if set up properly, should have a tongue weight of 5-7% of the total towed weight.

The weight of my boat and trailer is around 5000 lbs, so my tongue weight should be 250-350 lbs. I tow it with no problems!

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Old
08-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Miss Rita's Avatar's AvatarMiss Rita

MC Devotee
Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
A boat trailer, if set up properly, should have a tongue weight of 5-7% of the total towed weight.

The weight of my boat and trailer is around 5000 lbs, so my tongue weight should be 250-350 lbs. I tow it with no problems!

This is just with the "4 pin tow package" or are there other items or adapters??? Forgive me, I am new to towing much more than a small flat trailer. I ordered the tow package thinking it would have abilities for more than that. I also wanted the load leveling that came with it. I would like to be able to tow something beyond a rowboat. Maybe even a motorcycle or small car. Again... thanks for any help.

FireMartZ

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't forget that for any vehicle, the towing capacity is its capacity to tow stuff, ALL stuff, including passengers, luggage, trailer, ... everything except the driver himself.

So, for example, if you, the driver, is carrying 3 passengers, each weighting, in average, 175 pounds, each having 25 lbs of luggage, that's 600 lbs (3 x (175 + 25)) eaten from the 5000 lbs. You have now 4400 lbs left for the trailer. You have a cargo roof weighting 50 pounds and carrying 150 pounds, then 200 lbs must be removed from the 5000 lbs. You have now 4200 lbs for the trailer. Your camping trailer weights 4200 lbs? Then it must contain nothing, not a single gallon of water at this point or you are now over 5000 lbs.

People often think they can attach a 5000 lbs trailer to a car/suv/truck than can tow 5000 lbs, but this is wrong, unless only the driver is in the car.

mikeg112

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't forget that for any vehicle, the towing capacity is its capacity to tow stuff, ALL stuff, including passengers, luggage, trailer, ... everything except the driver himself.

So, for example, if you, the driver, is carrying 3 passengers, each weighting, in average, 175 pounds, each having 25 lbs of luggage, that's 600 lbs (3 x (175 + 25)) eaten from the 5000 lbs. You have now 4400 lbs left for the trailer. You have a cargo roof weighting 50 pounds and carrying 150 pounds, then 200 lbs must be removed from the 5000 lbs. You have now 4200 lbs for the trailer. Your camping trailer weights 4200 lbs? Then it must contain nothing, not a single gallon of water at this point or you are now over 5000 lbs.

People often think they can attach a 5000 lbs trailer to a car/suv/truck than can tow 5000 lbs, but this is wrong, unless only the driver is in the car.
From what I read in the Kia manual, your passenger/cargo is only added to the tongue weight, not the total towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. So let’s say the GVWR is 1,300 lbs, you have 1,000 lbs of passengers and cargo, that leaves you only 300 lbs for the tongue hitch weight, separate from the towing capacity.

However to your point, you still want to leave 80% towing capacity open as a safety margin, which leaves you at about 4,000 lbs.

FireMartZ

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
From what I read in the Kia manual, your passenger/cargo is only added to the tongue weight, not the total towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. So let’s say the GVWR is 1,300 lbs, you have 1,000 lbs of passengers and cargo, that leaves you only 300 lbs for the tongue hitch weight, separate from the towing capacity.

However to your point, you still want to leave 80% towing capacity open as a safety margin, which leaves you at about 4,000 lbs.
Good points too!

I'm coming from a Honda Odyssey and considered a Honda Pilot before choosing the Telluride. Honda subtracts the cargo weight and passengers weight (starting from 2 passengers) from the towing capacity (and adjust the maximum tongue weight accordingly). At the end, however, we end up with pretty much the same limitations as limiting trailer weight or tongue weight has the same effect since tongue weight should be around 10% of the trailer weight.

Taken from the Pilot owner's manual:

On a side note, do you think an ATF cooler would be recommended on the Telluride?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Crazymom5

Reaction score
Well this discussion has me very frustrated. We spent the money for the AWD and tow package to pull our boat. According to what I’m reading here, we can’t actually pull our boat. I could have saved $3k and got the color I actually wanted if this hitch is worthless.

Wap52

Reaction score
Well this discussion has me very frustrated. We spent the money for the AWD and tow package to pull our boat. According to what I’m reading here, we can’t actually pull our boat. I could have saved $3k and got the color I actually wanted if this hitch is worthless.
How much does your boat and trailer weigh

Crazymom5

Reaction score
I think this is something the definitely needs to be addressed with the dealership. My husband will be calling ours this coming week.