No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Telluride in snow

GrandeVT

Reaction score
Been driving AWD Siennas here in slushy, snowy, icy southern VT for 15 yrs. All with Nokian Nordman studded tires. Putting a set on my Telluride today. Have had trucks and SUVs similarly equipped. There was never a time that the Sienna wouldn't happily go where and when I wanted it to. I drove for a living and reside on a mountain up miles of dirt road.

I'm expecting the same performance from the Telluride. I will advise after I collect a little experience.

JayCO

Reaction score
The Telluride is a crossover utility vehicle and I believe it is built on a modified version of the Kia Sedona platform. It is the same width and height as a 2015 Toyota Sienna.
The Telluride is essentially a modern minivan without sliding doors...more car based and not really an SUV.
Yes. This was the point I was trying to make. Having the classification of an SUV is no longer an indicator of more capability. Today’s SUVs are heavier and larger passenger cars with the same AWD systems as most anything else out there.

The WHOLE POINT of my nit-pickitness here is, don’t look down your nose at comparisons to non SUVs.

and like I said, after 4 Audi’s, a Subaru, a couple of Mazda’s etc... if the telluride drives in the snow as well as our sienna with all-seasons can/does, anything better than that is just gravy.

And if anyone continues to think that’s a silly/uninformed/newbie statement, invite you try our AWD sienna in the snow. It’s truly impressive.

Last edited:

Husker Soze

Reaction score
Yes. This was the point I was trying to make. Having the classification of an SUV is no longer an indicator of more capability. Today’s SUVs are heavier and larger passenger cars with the same AWD systems as most anything else out there.

The WHOLE POINT of my nit-pickitness here is, don’t look down your nose at comparisons to non SUVs.

and like I said, after 4 Audi’s, a Subaru, a couple of Mazda’s etc... if the telluride drives in the snow as well as our sienna with all-seasons can/does, anything better than that is just gravy.

And if anyone continues to think that’s a silly/uninformed/newbie statement, invite you try our AWD sienna in the snow. It’s truly impressive.

OK dude, calm down :rolleyes:... jeez.

I apologize if I hit a nerve with you being a minivan driver. It's a good thing you've highlighted your resume of other cars that are not minivans ;)

Reaction score
if the telluride drives in the snow as well as our sienna with all-seasons can/does, anything better than that is just gravy.
Given your experience with the Sienna, I will elaborate a bit on the comparison. Keep in mind that I only had my Sienna (2018) for one season, and most of the time it had Blizzak WS80 tires on it.

The first thing I will say is that we almost didn't buy the Sienna because we came across some fairly negative reviews about the AWD system. In hindsight I think the reason for those reviews was more about the tires than the AWD system itself (as the AWD comes with runflat tires that are just terrible, IMO).

Also keep in mind that most of the driving I have done in the Telluride in snow is with winter tires...so I can't really give a comparison between the two with all season tires other than the 15 minute drive I did in the morning (on my way to the tire store). What I will say is that the Telluride did great in the deep snow. See picture below for a sense of the snow depth. Even with the all season tires, I was able to drive through deep snow without much issue. I did slide side to side some, and there was some wheel slip, but I was always able to move forward, and never felt like I might get stuck. I only drove in the really deep stuff for 500 feet or so, so keep that in mind.

As for a comparison with winter tires on both vehicles, the Telluride seems to have a few advantages.
1. The Telluride gives the driver more control (or at least the appearance of control) with the "comfort/sport/eco/snow" dial, as well as the center differential "lock" (I use quotes because it's not the same as a true 4WD locking differential). I honestly had a hard time telling the difference between Eco and Snow + lock unless I turned off traction control. (both in how it performed and what was showing on the AWD monitor) I think this is either because the system responds to slip very quickly and/or because if you have been slipping in recent driving it will pre-distribute power to the rear wheels (in eco) even if you aren't actively slipping. When I turned off traction control I did notice a pretty big difference. One other difference in snow + lock mode is that it either limits engine power and/or selects a higher gear, so you can't accelerate as fast even if you mash the pedal to the floor (even if you have plenty of traction).

2. The Telluride has ABS-based torque vectoring. I'm not sure if the Sienna had this or not, but I don't remember it kicking in when driving it last year. On the Telluride I did notice it kicking in, and it seemed to be pretty quick to respond.

3. Ground clearance. In much of the snow I was dealing with yesterday, I would have been pretty nervous to take the Sienna out simply because of the depth of the snow. This might not be justified, and I did see other lower clearance cars getting through it (with difficulty), but somehow I felt much more confident in the Telluride in terms of clearance. The spec is 8", but even with 8.7" in my Outback, I felt more confident in the Telluride. One thing to note about ground clearance is that there isn't a standard way to measure it (as far as I know), so it's just a number that the manufacturer provides.

I actively sought out deep snow, taller mounds / ridges (from plowing) and would drive right through/over them. Again, this was with snow tires, but the Telluride just when wherever I pointed it. A friend commented that "this really isn't very fun because you aren't having any trouble"

I think comparing the two (again, snow tires on both) the main take-away is that I have a lot more confidence in deep snow in the Telluride. Hard to say if it is primarily ground clearance, or all of the other factors, but in the end it drove like a tank.

The only reservations I have are about reliability / longevity...not because I expect any problems, but as I understand it the transmission and AWD system are both in-house designs, and new ones at that. (Can anyone verify that?) So not knocking Kia/Hyundai on that, just noting that both are pretty complicated systems, and it's hard to get right from the beginning...so I will be watching that.

IMG_2928.jpg

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

jrb

Reaction score
↑ That one picture alone speaks volumes.
Yes, it was quite a snowfall. One issue no matter the ground clearance is when the snow piles up in front of the car you can high center over it and get stuck. I've done it in a Subaru Forrester and Lexus SUV both when snow is about 10-12 inches or more. Now with a plow up front it would push it to side and avoid, but not ideal on a nice Telluride.

Husker Soze

Reaction score
Yes, it was quite a snowfall. One issue no matter the ground clearance is when the snow piles up in front of the car you can high center over it and get stuck. I've done it in a Subaru Forrester and Lexus SUV both when snow is about 10-12 inches or more. Now with a plow up front it would push it to side and avoid, but not ideal on a nice Telluride.
Here's an option :unsure:

TheNip73

Reaction score

My Volvo S60 w/ snow tires is a beast as long as the depth of the snow isn't an issue.

JayCO

Reaction score
OK dude, calm down :rolleyes:... jeez.

I apologize if I hit a nerve with you being a minivan driver. It's a good thing you've highlighted your resume of other cars that are not minivans ;)
Good thing indeed! A guy can get a reputation real quick! RAWR! Who here wants to arm wrestle?!??! </overcompensation> ;)

I realized I was coming across like a nutso... but I was too deep into it to turn back. In truth, I really don't like our Sienna... it's super utilitarian and easy with our three kids and dog... it's just incredibly boring and a total "blah" vehicle to drive. But in the snow, it's great.

JayCO

Reaction score
I believe the Telluride uses the same Dynamax AWD system they';ve been using in most of their SUV's for a while... here's a couple vids for your viewing pleasure.

thanks for posting this. always interesting to understand how the systems work.

westcoastTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Telluride is a crossover utility vehicle and I believe it is built on a modified version of the Kia Sedona platform. It is the same width and height as a 2015 Toyota Sienna.
The Telluride is essentially a modern minivan without sliding doors...more car based and not really an SUV.
EXACTLY !! this a front wheel biased AWD system , its a glorified mini van , and thank god it is , thats not a bad thing !

Reaction score
Pretty impressive. Hills + snow is no joke, and those were pretty steep.

Anyone know why it takes so long to apply the braking/torque vectoring to the slipping wheel? It's not just a Telluride thing, "everyone" seems to react that way. I'm sure there is some reason for it, but in watching it I would think the system could apply braking much sooner (and hence get un-stuck much sooner).

Reaction score
I believe the Telluride uses the same Dynamax AWD system they';ve been using in most of their SUV's for a while..
Thanks for that. I had read / heard somewhere that the Telluride used a new in-house system, but it could have been a confused conversation with a salesperson. I'm rather happy to learn that it uses a system that has been around for a while.

G

G-557861

Tire is the #1 variable.

In snow conditions: FWD w/ snow tires > AWD in performance tires
Hello I just got from driving my son from Delaware to Boston is this crazy winter storm. We left the house at 9 am . Just got back home 2:30 am . The telluride handled the snow like a champ .... Just an fyi it a fwd .... No issue with us but other car on side in a ditch , accident but we made it home safe ...

GrandeVT

Reaction score
Been driving AWD Siennas here in slushy, snowy, icy southern VT for 15 yrs. All with Nokian Nordman studded tires. Putting a set on my Telluride today. Have had trucks and SUVs similarly equipped. There was never a time that the Sienna wouldn't happily go where and when I wanted it to. I drove for a living and reside on a mountain up miles of dirt road.

I'm expecting the same performance from the Telluride. I will advise after I collect a little experience.
Now with some experience:

When in doubt stay home but I didn't. Drove from southern CT to Vermont on Saturday afternoon into the evening in the peak of the storm that gave us 18" of heavy wet snow here at my final destination.

Having slipped around a little in light accumulation with the stock tires last week, I'm glad to have put for studded Nokian Nordmans on last Wednesday. As equipped, the Telluride handled the conditions as well as anything I've driven in such conditions. Not so for many of my fellow motorists. Predictable, controllable and sure-footed. After some experimenting, I just left it in comfort mode. Engaged the AWD lock once on the dirt mountain roads.

Moral of the story: good winter tires matter more than the vehicle than they are on. And, the most important part of winter driving is knowing when not to!

blitt

Reaction score
Now with some experience:

When in doubt stay home but I didn't. Drove from southern CT to Vermont on Saturday afternoon into the evening in the peak of the storm that gave us 18" of heavy wet snow here at my final destination.

Having slipped around a little in light accumulation with the stock tires last week, I'm glad to have put for studded Nokian Nordmans on last Wednesday. As equipped, the Telluride handled the conditions as well as anything I've driven in such conditions. Not so for many of my fellow motorists. Predictable, controllable and sure-footed. After some experimenting, I just left it in comfort mode. Engaged the AWD lock once on the dirt mountain roads.

Moral of the story: good winter tires matter more than the vehicle than they are on. And, the most important part of winter driving is knowing when not to!
Absolutely!!!