Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

The UVO subscription is only good for one year starting from the day you put your deposit down

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
That’s not true. We have Kia access...all others are for specific vehicles. Lux for k900, eco for the EVs, and so on. I don’t even use this piece of garbage app since it takes for ever and is buggy as hell. I wouldn’t use it free OR paid. Kia crapped their pants on this one. If the app was mind blowingly good or actually worked I can seem the scheme potentially working. It’s the same as these new video game publishers selling half baked games then trying to sell subscriptions to get the rest of the game’s features. That has not been working out to well for them and I have no clue why Kia and other manufacturers think it’s a viable option for anything. I had a 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium and it had remote start on the fob AND the app and the app features were totally free....I’m a millennial and I NEVER even used the app....not sure who they’re targeting with this crap
This is continuous development. They publish something then hope that usage by consumers will flush it out bugs and features and they will continue to improve it with patches. The problem is that traditional car buyers aren’t thinking that way, they are paying and receiving what they perceive as a finished product that they dread having to have it patched or updated by a dealer or manufacturer. Take for instance a software company that happens to produce cars (Tesla example). That buyer is getting an experience where the patches get pushed to the cars and the cars are the delivery mechanism of the software. Like Apple and iPhones. Some people buy the iPhone for the features while others buy it for the IOS. I feel like Kia needs to go all in if they want to make the app good. They have to invest in making it part of the experience of owning the car and a necessity otherwise it’s just another checkbox item when comparing it on consumer buying comparisons.

Welcome to the world of IoT.

Last edited:

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
This is continuous development. They publish something then hope that usage by consumers will flush it out bugs and features and they will continue to improve it with patches. The problem is that traditional car buyers aren’t thinking that way, they are paying and receiving what they perceive as a finished product that they dread having to have patched or updated by a dealer or manufacturer. Take for instance a software company that happens to produce cars (Tesla example). That buyer is getting an experience where the patches get pushes to the cars and the cars are the delivery mechanism of the software. Like Apple and iPhones. Some people buy the iPhone for the features while others buy it for the IOS. I feel like Kia needs to go all in if they want to make the app good. They have to invest in making it part of the experience of owning the car and a necessity otherwise it’s just another checkbox item when comparing it on consumer buying comparisons.
What you’re referring to is MVP or minimum viable product. The access app is not viable as it doesn’t work consistently. Then KIA has the audacity to send me an email outlining the fact that I have a 1 year trial and that remote start is in the top tier package? Oh you want me to pay money for something that’s broken? And do you really think that a 1 year trial for something that doesn’t work is a fair deal? Please. I’m fully expectant of bugs and kinks in a new vehicle that need worked out. This is a greedy cash grab by Kia to charge a monthly subscription for a basic feature that’s probably standard on the Rio by building a completely useless app with nonsensical “features” around it. At least Tesla gives you extras like changing your turn signal sound to fart noises...if KIA offered me that I’d gladly pay a monthly fee :LOL:

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
What you’re referring to is MVP or minimum viable product. The access app is not viable as it doesn’t work consistently. Then KIA has the audacity to send me an email outlining the fact that I have a 1 year trial and that remote start is in the top tier package? Oh you want me to pay money for something that’s broken? And do you really think that a 1 year trial for something that doesn’t work is a fair deal? Please. I’m fully expectant of bugs and kinks in a new vehicle that need worked out. This is a greedy cash grab by Kia to charge a monthly subscription for a basic feature that’s probably standard on the Rio by building a completely useless app with nonsensical “features” around it. At least Tesla gives you extras like changing your turn signal sound to fart noises...if KIA offered me that I’d gladly pay a monthly fee :LOL:
I would agree but the problem is that MVP means something different to the buyer than the software designer. “Does it communicate with the car and lock and unlock doors and start the vehicle? Yes! So ship it!” Very rarely is the User Experience highly valued when determining MVP. Minimum Viable Product is a go to market decision not a Quality measure.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I find it amazing that if i want to start my car remotely that I'd have to use the UVO app. In a feature rich vehicle at the price point, I wonder why there's no button on the key fob?
I agree. Right now it looks like the only way to do this is with installing an aftermarket iDatasmart HCX. Probability runs < $500 with install.

johnwashere2

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I find it amazing that if i want to start my car remotely that I'd have to use the UVO app. In a feature rich vehicle at the price point, I wonder why there's no button on the key fob?
My brothers new fully loaded BMW that he got about a year ago is the same way- No remote start on the key fob.

CYa

Reaction score
I agree. Right now it looks like the only way to do this is with installing an aftermarket iDatasmart HCX. Probability runs < $500 with install.
I'm surprised Pennsylvania issued that personalized license plate.

(Why do I keep posting about tacky license plates?)

Rondakay

Staff member
Reaction score
This is continuous development. They publish something then hope that usage by consumers will flush it out bugs and features and they will continue to improve it with patches. The problem is that traditional car buyers aren’t thinking that way, they are paying and receiving what they perceive as a finished product that they dread having to have it patched or updated by a dealer or manufacturer. Take for instance a software company that happens to produce cars (Tesla example). That buyer is getting an experience where the patches get pushed to the cars and the cars are the delivery mechanism of the software. Like Apple and iPhones. Some people buy the iPhone for the features while others buy it for the IOS. I feel like Kia needs to go all in if they want to make the app good. They have to invest in making it part of the experience of owning the car and a necessity otherwise it’s just another checkbox item when comparing it on consumer buying comparisons.

Welcome to the world of IoT.
Could not have said it better!

skytanker2003

Reaction score
In a nutshell, they really just wanted our opinions what we liked (and didn't like) about various aspects of the interior and exterior. We didn't see any future prototypes or anything new.
I'm assuming "our opinions" was a closed forum? Did they mention whether they're taking suggestions from the peanut gallery of owners or if they're actively monitoring these forums/FB pages for issues/ideas?

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm assuming "our opinions" was a closed forum? Did they mention whether they're taking suggestions from the peanut gallery of owners or if they're actively monitoring these forums/FB pages for issues/ideas?
I believe that the US team is monitoring the forums (there are two fairly active Telluride-centric ones). Like anything product-wise, it can take a while or even a complete product cycle to implement customer feedback. I'd say, its always worthwhile to post your opinion/feedback -- someone who cares may take it into account --- I know I do for my products!! :)

G

G-444813

If you go to the kia.com website. Click on the little robot on the left, and type int uvo cost. The reply is:

"UVO eServices is a subscription-free information system for your Kia vehicle. It provides you with an innovative in-vehicle connectivity experience. "

So Kia's current official stand is it is free.
UVO eServices is different from UVO link. UVO link lets you remote start, UVO eSerives is essentially useless unless you want to use the parking minder.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Digitalfirex

Reaction score
UVO eServices is different from UVO link. UVO link lets you remote start, UVO eSerives is essentially useless unless you want to use the parking minder.

As an update for anyone, I contacted the dealer about the subscription. Was told it will be $6 per month. I'm considering it if I can cancel and add at anytime, since I will only need the remote start for like 3 months in the year anyway.