No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Twin Turbo V6 on way?

zhelder

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Go drive a BMW X5 or a Range Rover that are turbos or supercharged. Oh, the thrill! Then, while you may not see a need for it, you'll understand why some of us want it.
It would be great (as long as it’s a 6, not a 4). But it would also guarantee an MSRP well over $50,000 for a top trim.

I’m happy Kia went with a normal V6 with decent, if not revolutionary numbers. Remember, a Pilot has only 280HP, and Honda is likely at least 3 years away from a full redesign (which will likely include a variant of the Accord’s Turbo 4). A turbo isn’t coming until at least the next gen, if at all, and it will likely be a Turbo 4 for the standard Kiundai lines (minus a niche car or two, like the Stinger). The sixes will likely be reserved for the Genesis cars.

G

G-101876

I've been looking at the Ford Explorer ST because of the 400hp and sportier look however I love my current Kia forte and simply don't want to compromise a slow boring ride because I need a midsize SUV. Living In a city, I only have the need for 1 car.

regaphysics

Reaction score
There is nothing boring or slow about the Telluride
Perhaps not "slow," but it is fairly boring. The engine has pretty anemic torque and low-end grunt. Even if its fully revv'ed, you are lagging behind the pack (explorer, durango, JGC, pilot) in performance by a good amount.

I think its entirely adequate for a 3-row SUV family hauler, but I don't think anyone would call it an exciting drivetrain...

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Perhaps not "slow," but it is fairly boring. The engine has pretty anemic torque and low-end grunt. Even if its fully revv'ed, you are lagging behind the pack (explorer, durango, JGC, pilot) in performance by a good amount.

I think its entirely adequate for a 3-row SUV family hauler, but I don't think anyone would call it an exciting drivetrain...
Slow and Boring was our 1996 Chevy Suburban V8 4spd with its 250hp, 355tq, and 5,552 curb weight. The Telluride is comparatively fleet of foot.

I drive a high powered Stinger GT2 (tuned) and my wife drives the Telly. When the Telly is in Sport mode, it does plenty well enough.

The Dude

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Slow and Boring was our 1996 Chevy Suburban V8 4spd with its 250hp, 355tq, and 5,552 curb weight. The Telluride is comparatively fleet of foot.

I drive a high powered Stinger GT2 (tuned) and my wife drives the Telly. When the Telly is in Sport mode, it does plenty well enough.
On one hand I agree with ya. It's really not bad at all. On the other hand I know where he's coming from. It's really not exciting or anything. But it's not meant to be exciting. Still that doesn't mean one can't wish it were.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
On one hand I agree with ya. It's really not bad at all. On the other hand I know where he's coming from. It's really not exciting or anything. But it's not meant to be exciting. Still that doesn't mean one can't wish it were.
That's true. We'd have purchased a new SRT Durango, but the extra exhilarating power wasn't worth another $20,000. Neither was the X5.

TJIG3000

Reaction score

It gets going pretty good for me getting around in a busy city when I put it in SPORT mode.

regaphysics

Reaction score
It gets going pretty good for me getting around in a busy city when I put it in SPORT mode.
Nobody is saying it can't move with purpose, but have you driven an SRT / trackhawk durango/JGC or a ST explorer? It is no comparison... even the Honda Pilot is substantially faster than a telluride. I suggest you give one of those a drive if you want to feel some serious oomph.

alexdrums

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Ford Explorer ST because of the 400hp and sportier look however I love my current Kia forte and simply don't want to compromise a slow boring ride because I need a midsize SUV. Living In a city, I only have the need for 1 car.
Here you go

JP1

Reaction score
I have a Stringer GT2 and an F-150 pickup with the Ecoboost motor. Both are amazing, almost electric power, sheer joy to drive. The motor in the Telluride was "meh". Power curve was peaky and the engine is noisy when you push it. I'm not planning to race it, so settle down, I just want more and smoother power delivery overall. Nothing would compare to a version of this really cool vehicle with a stronger power plant . IMHO

I sure hope they will add a boosted version in 2021, so I can buy one of these. Without it, I'll have to pass...

Nsrg

Reaction score
I like fast cars, but heavy fast cars are not enjoyable. I drove the SRT durango and it was a whole lot of OK. Accelerating fast in a really heavy vehicle is not even 20% as fun as driving a light car with a decent engine. To be fair, I'd have paid more for the turbo 6 cylinder in this car, but I'm mildly glad they didn't tempt me.
Who really thinks a 2020 car that sells remarkably well will get a major upgrade for 2020?

JP1

Reaction score
“Who really thinks a 2020 car that sells remarkably well will get a major upgrade for 2020?” I definitely can’t argue that point Nsrg. Maybe I’m spoiled. My other car is an F-150. Can you say “massive”? It’s got the biturbo eco boost motor and is a pure joy to roll on the throttle on those on ramps. Or just to torque the little puke in his crotch rocket that’s dying to get in front of me at every other stop light. Smooth solid torque is a drug, and I’m not embarrassed about wanting my fix. (Responding time some of the other comments): If somebody can’t modulate a throttle, well, then get yourself a slug. Just sayin. The Telluride as is, is underpowered. It was a whole lot of yawn. Pretty, I honestly loved the look, interior setup, finishes mostly very good, but it didn’t fulfill its promise. Bye........... (he said, accelerating into the distance). :p

Promethus78

Reaction score
At a bare min, I think that KIA would not even consider/risk an engine change and the accompanied assembly line disruption until they have the current back log under control. Besides, if that happened anytime soon, could you imagine how many folks would walk away from their existing deposit in favor of a better engine. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up a top end option during mid-cycle refresh in a couple of years. Who knows at this point.

Last edited:
G

G-38758

Nobody is saying it can't move with purpose, but have you driven an SRT / trackhawk durango/JGC or a ST explorer? It is no comparison... even the Honda Pilot is substantially faster than a telluride. I suggest you give one of those a drive if you want to feel some serious oomph.
pilot seemed slow to me. My telluride is duct faster in sport.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!