Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Anyone purchase an extended warranty?

Jeff Persson

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention what we did get. Gap Insurance was $425 and the 5yr/125k extended warranty was $1242 and we got a $50 discount for getting both. We opted for the shorter term/longer miles option because I put 30k/year on the vehicle so even with 125k on the warranty I’ll still hit that before I hit 5 years. Additional years were available for about $90/yr for those who would need more.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention what we did get. Gap Insurance was $425 and the 5yr/125k extended warranty was $1242 and we got a $50 discount for getting both. We opted for the shorter term/longer miles option because I put 30k/year on the vehicle so even with 125k on the warranty I’ll still hit that before I hit 5 years. Additional years were available for about $90/yr for those who would need more.
Hello @Jeff Persson . That extended warranty does not seem to be the "Kia" plan, but rather a third-party warranty. Can you confirm for us?

Also, if you haven't already, I encourage you to review it in detail to ensure it will provide the coverage you believe it will. Been there and learned the hard way on these.

Jeff Persson

Reaction score
Hello @Jeff Persson . That extended warranty does not seem to be the "Kia" plan, but rather a third-party warranty. Can you confirm for us?

Also, if you haven't already, I encourage you to review it in detail to ensure it will provide the coverage you believe it will. Been there and learned the hard way on these.
No, its not the Kia plan, it is one I purchased through my credit union when I refinanced. I looked through the coverage and it looked comparable but any differences aren’t worth the $4000 my dealership charged me fo an 8/125 along with the $1000 they charged for the gap insurance. I’ll take the difference and use it to pay anything that on the outside chance is not covered.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
No, its not the Kia plan, it is one I purchased through my credit union when I refinanced. I looked through the coverage and it looked comparable but any differences aren’t worth the $4000 my dealership charged me fo an 8/125 along with the $1000 they charged for the gap insurance. I’ll take the difference and use it to pay anything that on the outside chance is not covered.
Ah good, through your credit union is excellent. Especially if it is through Route 66!

"Ride"_or_die

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Eneded up getting a 10/100K bumper to bumper (includes tech) for $1600. I'm happy with that considering all the tech the SX has. No worries for at least 100K.
I wonder if your dealership is offering at a higher rate of you could call this dealership and get it at that price? Anyone know? And if so what is this dealership, if you don't mind me asking.

JonFar111

Reaction score
If you're planning on keeping it for a long time, then well worth the peace of mind. If you switch out cars every 3-5 years, then not so much... I keep mine (11 years for my last vehicle), so I purchased one

JCzoom

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I checked with Kia directly. All electronics are still covered by the 5/60,000 bumper to bumper warranty. That part about 3/36,000 was fake news.
I was told the nav/radio is not a "Kia product" and is only covered 3/36,000. 🤔

JCzoom

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Mine was offered from the dealer, but it was a third party company called Perferred Protection (I think, I don't have it with me). Covers 100% parts and labor. No deductible. I feel comfortable this is a good/legit plan that most dealerships will have no issues working with.. I made sure it covers EVERYTHING. All the tech stuff. Of course brakes, tires, and other wear items are not covered..

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

arckal

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I was told that there will be no deductible if repaired from the dealer where I bought the car from, but $100 deductible if repaired at other dealers.
got it, thanks. It means your warranty provider is 3rd party.

Last edited:

Jeff Persson

Reaction score
Does Kia themselves even offer an extended warranty? I know the dealerships sell them, but aren’t they all third party products?

whyidie

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We had a bad experience with the dealership when we bought the extended warranty and gap insurance (they were doing their darnedest to recoup the $5k over MSRP they removed during negotiations). We ended up cancelling both when we refinanced with our credit union and got them through them. Cost was a third of what the dealership charged us for same coverage.

Yes they REALLY over charged us and shame on us for not catching it beforehand, but at least they could be cancelled and the problem resolved. As a result of their shenanigans, not only did they lose the sale on those add ons, they’ll probably lose out on their dealer earned incentives for us not carrying the loan for three months.

If you decide to get them at the dealership make sure you know what you are paying. Don’t let them disguise the cost by wrapping it all together and talking in terms of payments.
Didn't know it was possible to cancel when you refinance...is this standard or only because you got a bad deal ?