Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Brake Controller Install

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Kia should come out with a factory / dealer installed 7 pin plug in upgrade kit. I’m sure there will be several aftermarket available just for this vehicle soon.

Lilliander

Reaction score
I'm finding this whole issue extremely disturbing as the situation can be interpreted as even more restrictive. The owner's manual states on page 149 under the section "Trailer Brakes" "If your trailer weight exceeds the maximum allowed weight without trailer brakes, then the trailer requires its own brakes". As Kia does not have a factory provided, or authorized alternative equipment package to facilitate trailer brakes, the load limitation is really only 1650 lbs., the maximum allowed trailer weight without brakes, as stated in the chart on page 158.

Reading through this thread, I see entries that challenge the statements about Kia's representation of the towing capabilities as being false advertising. In my opinion this is a deceptive business practice that violates the law in every state and the Federal statutes. If you're doubtful, follow this link and see what the legal description of deceptive trade practices is. What's considered to be a deceptive trade practice? | Consumer Justice Center P.A.. I would think that Kia would want to promptly come up with an acceptable solution rather than face a class action lawsuit that they would surely lose. Has anyone involved in this thread escalated in writing the issue to the Kia corporate office?

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I would think that Kia would want to promptly come up with an acceptable solution rather than face a class action lawsuit that they would surely lose. Has anyone involved in this thread escalated in writing the issue to the Kia corporate office?
How about you do it? Honestly tried and was roadblocked. But if you want to start a class action lawsuit, great start it. Words are words unless you are willing to do something.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Wap52

Reaction score
How about you do it? Honestly tried and was roadblocked. But if you want to start a class action lawsuit, great start it. Words are words unless you are willing to do something.
It may be that the Telluride is not rated for 5000 towing and why there is no 7 pin connector. If a 7 pin was installed KIA would probably have to change the complete framework to make the Telluride for 5000lb. You say what would that matter if they change. Dollars my friend dollars and it would be passed to us the consumers and we would not be bragging about the bang for the buck we are getting now. Yes Kia should say the Telluride is only good for towing 3500 lbs according to the tongue weight it has installed on the factory towing. Just my 2 cents worth but I do plan to ask the coporate guys in the next meeting i have coming up

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I bought the car to tow my 21 mastercraft boat. Thinking it had a 7 pin connector and 5000 towing like everyother 3 row suv this size...... and many smaller!!!!!

Lilliander

Reaction score
You misinterpreted my line of thinking. As stated, I believe that Kia, given the opportunity to do so, would much rather produce a solution to this problem that would satisfy the already many Telly owners that are angry. Class action lawsuits only benefit lawyers. As a purchaser of multiple Kia vehicles and extremely satisfied advocate of the company up until now, I believe that if the issue is brought to the attention of Kia's higher management, they will find a solution that will bring their Telly customers back into the fold of the satisfied. I asked if anyone has addressed this in writing to said management so that I can know the results before I do so myself. I'm interested in knowing how you were "roadblocked" and what your efforts were.