No soliciting permitted.

Brake Controller Install

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Kia should come out with a factory / dealer installed 7 pin plug in upgrade kit. I’m sure there will be several aftermarket available just for this vehicle soon.

Lilliander

Reaction score
I'm finding this whole issue extremely disturbing as the situation can be interpreted as even more restrictive. The owner's manual states on page 149 under the section "Trailer Brakes" "If your trailer weight exceeds the maximum allowed weight without trailer brakes, then the trailer requires its own brakes". As Kia does not have a factory provided, or authorized alternative equipment package to facilitate trailer brakes, the load limitation is really only 1650 lbs., the maximum allowed trailer weight without brakes, as stated in the chart on page 158.

Reading through this thread, I see entries that challenge the statements about Kia's representation of the towing capabilities as being false advertising. In my opinion this is a deceptive business practice that violates the law in every state and the Federal statutes. If you're doubtful, follow this link and see what the legal description of deceptive trade practices is. What's considered to be a deceptive trade practice? | Consumer Justice Center P.A.. I would think that Kia would want to promptly come up with an acceptable solution rather than face a class action lawsuit that they would surely lose. Has anyone involved in this thread escalated in writing the issue to the Kia corporate office?

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I would think that Kia would want to promptly come up with an acceptable solution rather than face a class action lawsuit that they would surely lose. Has anyone involved in this thread escalated in writing the issue to the Kia corporate office?
How about you do it? Honestly tried and was roadblocked. But if you want to start a class action lawsuit, great start it. Words are words unless you are willing to do something.

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
How about you do it? Honestly tried and was roadblocked. But if you want to start a class action lawsuit, great start it. Words are words unless you are willing to do something.
It may be that the Telluride is not rated for 5000 towing and why there is no 7 pin connector. If a 7 pin was installed KIA would probably have to change the complete framework to make the Telluride for 5000lb. You say what would that matter if they change. Dollars my friend dollars and it would be passed to us the consumers and we would not be bragging about the bang for the buck we are getting now. Yes Kia should say the Telluride is only good for towing 3500 lbs according to the tongue weight it has installed on the factory towing. Just my 2 cents worth but I do plan to ask the coporate guys in the next meeting i have coming up

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I bought the car to tow my 21 mastercraft boat. Thinking it had a 7 pin connector and 5000 towing like everyother 3 row suv this size...... and many smaller!!!!!

Lilliander

Reaction score
You misinterpreted my line of thinking. As stated, I believe that Kia, given the opportunity to do so, would much rather produce a solution to this problem that would satisfy the already many Telly owners that are angry. Class action lawsuits only benefit lawyers. As a purchaser of multiple Kia vehicles and extremely satisfied advocate of the company up until now, I believe that if the issue is brought to the attention of Kia's higher management, they will find a solution that will bring their Telly customers back into the fold of the satisfied. I asked if anyone has addressed this in writing to said management so that I can know the results before I do so myself. I'm interested in knowing how you were "roadblocked" and what your efforts were.

SnowWhite Telluride

Reaction score
So is the Telluride Not rated for 5000 lbs of towing? Or is it capable of 5000 lbs but the factory hitch not rated for 5000 lbs? I was thoroughly shocked that the Telluride with the Tow package only had a 4 pin connector. But if you remove it, the bracket is ready for a 7 pin connector to fit right in there. Only additional wiring would be very minimal for adding the brake controller. But the main selling point on this was the towing capacity for our trailer trailer. I would like to find some definitive answers. Thanks in advance

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So is the Telluride Not rated for 5000 lbs of towing? Or is it capable of 5000 lbs but the factory hitch not rated for 5000 lbs? I was thoroughly shocked that the Telluride with the Tow package only had a 4 pin connector. But if you remove it, the bracket is ready for a 7 pin connector to fit right in there. Only additional wiring would be very minimal for adding the brake controller. But the main selling point on this was the towing capacity for our trailer trailer. I would like to find some definitive answers. Thanks in advance
The only definitive answers I’m aware of are: 1. you can pull up to 5,000 lb boat, jet ski or utility trailer with a hitch weight of less than 351lb, 2. with no brake the only states you can legally tow 5000 lbs with just a 4pin are Alaska or Massachusetts, 3. The factory tow hitch option nor the factory towing package do anything to remedy the solution.

It does not appear the 351 lb tongue weight is a limit of the hitch but rather the frame of the vehicle.

I was hoping that Kia meant to say that without weight distribution the tongue weight is 351 and with weight distribution the tongue weight can go up to 500 lbs. More and more I’m becoming convinced that Kia did the bare minimum to get a class III hitch rating but not a full 5,000 lb spec solution.

Last edited:

SnowWhite Telluride

Reaction score
The only definitive answers I’m aware of are: 1. you can pull up to 5,000 lb boat, jet ski or utility trailer with a hitch weight of less than 351lb, 2. with no brake the only states you can legally tow 5000 lbs with just a 4pin are Alaska or Massachusetts, 3. The factory tow hitch option nor the factory towing package do anything to remedy the solution.

It does not appear the 351 lb tongue weight is a limit of the hitch but rather the frame of the vehicle.

I was hoping that Kia meant to say that without weight distribution the tongue weight is 351 and with weight distribution the tongue weight can go up to 500 lbs. More and more I’m becoming convinced that Kia did the bare minimum to get a class III hitch rating but not a full 5,000 lb spec solution.
We have trailer trailer that has a hitch weight of 500 lbs (and trailer brakes) and I do have a weight distribution/sway control hitch that we used when we pulled it with our 2008 FJ crusier. So are we SOL on pulling this trailer with this vehicle?

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We have trailer trailer that has a hitch weight of 500 lbs (and trailer brakes) and I do have a weight distribution/sway control hitch that we used when we pulled it with our 2008 FJ crusier. So are we SOL on pulling this trailer with this vehicle?
People are doing it, but according to the way the Telluride manual is written this is not according to spec by Kia.

TelluCam

Reaction score
from what i gather,,,the towing package then doesn't allow you to tow up to 5000lbs??? just about to pull trigger on one and was getting tow package thrown in...

Stacyg

Reaction score
Would it be cheaper to install a tow package that works? First let me say I am a woman who has no clue about what you are talking about. I told my husband we could tow our 900 pound motorcycle with this vehicle and need to invest in the towing option. This is my vehicle and he doesn’t really care what I buy but would like an option to tow our bike. So should I not get that option and take to a garage that can install something better. Or are you saying that would not even work?

Tino

Reaction score
Would it be cheaper to install a tow package that works? First let me say I am a woman who has no clue about what you are talking about. I told my husband we could tow our 900 pound motorcycle with this vehicle and need to invest in the towing option. This is my vehicle and he doesn’t really care what I buy but would like an option to tow our bike. So should I not get that option and take to a garage that can install something better. Or are you saying that would not even work?
The Telluride as built with the optional tow package will have no problem whatsoever towing your motorcycle.

M_B

Reaction score
I recently received this email from a Kia Customer Feedback...

Thank you for your patience while we review your concern and gather the appropriate information. We have confirmed the correct tongue weight is 500 lbs. Our teams are working to have the owners materials properly updated with this correct information.
Thank you again for allowing us the time to research this. We hope you enjoy your Telluride!
Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance to you.

Sincerely,
Kia Motors America

TelluCam

Reaction score

Thank you for your patience while we review your concern and gather the appropriate information. We have confirmed the correct tongue weight is 500 lbs. Our teams are working to have the owners materials properly updated with this correct information.
Thank you again for allowing us the time to research this. We hope you enjoy your Telluride!

Sincerely,
Kia Motors America
Great, thanks for the info!

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Sincerely,
Kia Motors America

I have an SXP with the tow package...being a 4 pin.... did they go into any explanation why they would not put in a 7 Pin? I am wondering if the dealer will put in a 7 pin and still not screw the Warranty??? Are they going to send the change from 351 to 500 to all of us who purchased the tow package? These have been concerns for the last year....

Did you get a name from KMA so that others may also inquire?

Just wondering....

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
G

G-217165

First let me say that I’m bummed Kia didn’t offer the vehicle with a 7 Pin or even a harness but no vehicle is perfect.

Hopefully some helpful info as I started installing my Redarc Tow-Pro Elite brake controller. This controller is nice as you can mount it anywhere in any direction and it’ll self calibrate. The only thing that shows is a small knob with an LED. I mounted this direct to the fuse box cover inside. That way if I ever want to get rid of the brake controller I can replace that cover and haven’t made any mods any where else.

If you opted for the factory tow package you’ll find underneath the 4 pin mount a circular mount for a 7 pin which is nice. I haven’t yet installed the 7 pin yet but think that will help a lot.

When installing the brake controller I removed the dash panel under the steering while which had only one screw and then connectors. Easy to remove and gave me a lot more room to work with.

The brake pedal wiring is a plug that has five wires. The green wire is the switch brake signal you’ll need to tap into with the brake controller. (I couldn’t get in there to get a pic, sorry!) I also ran the wiring for power and the wire to the 7 pin through the outside edge of the large grommet under the dash. The only one I’m not happy with is the white ground which I think I’ll move tomorrow.

For mounting the brake controller I struggled to find a good spot and ended up using existing bolts just to the left of the grommet. Worked well with some mounting plates to close the gap and get a good secure fit.

Hope this helps! Now just need to get the 7 pin installed and I’ll be ready to tow my travel trailer.
Question. Rather than tapping into the green wire above the brake pedal, could you do it at the fuse box using a fuse tap

Grams&Mimi

Reaction score
Kia should come out with a factory / dealer installed 7 pin plug in upgrade kit. I’m sure there will be several aftermarket available just for this vehicle soon.
Anything new on this since your original post? We purchased the 2020 with tow up to “5000” now wanting to buy our travel trailer but unable to find what we need that will not void our warranty??

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Anything new on this since your original post? We purchased the 2020 with tow up to “5000” now wanting to buy our travel trailer but unable to find what we need that will not void our warranty??
The tongue weight is officially 500lbs and the 2021 model comes with a 7-pin, reference 2021 News?

If you get an aftermarket 7-pin wired up at a reputable camper dealer you should be free and clear to enjoy your travel trailer. Anyone who tells you that you might void the warranty needs to read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. If you have a warranty issue Kia would need to prove it is not their issue and it would likely be much easier, faster, smarter for them to just resolve your issue under an industry leading warranty than get bad press assuming you used your Kia in a reasonable way.

I once owned a Jeep with an aftermarket wiring harness that went bad. When I went in to the dealership under warranty they tested and confirm it was bad, offered to cut it and replace a fuse and then sent me on my way. I ended up just buying a better quality wiring harness and swapping it out.

Last edited: