Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Self-Leveling Suspension

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not sure if I am right or not but...from what I have gleaned on the leveling.... This is not an Air system. In order for it to "level" you have to drive it a short distance for the fluid in the shock to actually begin to "adjust". My understanding is that this shock system is similar to Volvo and some GM products. The shocks are not regular shocks but can cost up to over $350 a pair... not $200/pair or less.. To be honest I wish it were more like my 1990 DeVille which had auto-air adjust shocks... You could feel the car rise when loaded and key was on BUT...this is what it is... I have more of an issue with no one able to ACTUALLY say... they DON'T know jack crap about the towing package and it seems that it isn't being advertised right in the first place... 5000# my arse and tongue weight of 351# WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!!

chowfun27

Reaction score
Not sure of the KIA brand but..I am sure, before too long...after-markets will fill any gap
I actually think there won’t really be any after market options. Like you said, Volvo and GM have been using a similar self leveling system (Nivomat brand) for a long time now and there still are no aftermarket replacement options. Once the vehicles get older, people on many of the forums don’t want to spend $400/shock so they replace the shocks with conventional ones and replace the springs as well. I had to do this on my Saab.

alexdrums

Reaction score
I am guessing if there is any noticeable sagging it would occur more often when the Telluride is parked and fully loaded—or hooked up to a tow vehicle.
It would be great if somebody could test this.

KROD

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Parked this is the height of my S FWD with no tow package and regular shocks: 32 5/8” with the yard stick centered in the hub from the ground to the bottom edge of the wheel well trim.
32 5/8 as well I will check again on a time where I have had the car sitting for a while just to see.

This is an SX AWD with tow package

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I just rotated my tires on my NON self-leveling FWD S. Took the opportunity to grab some part numbers. I'm not sure I understand all the mechanics of a rear suspension so anyone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me. It appears that while some cars have the coil integrated with the strut or shock, the Telluride does not. There is a separate coil/spring from the shock absorber. From what I can the part number is # 55300-S9000 and the spring had 55330-S9000 on it.

Also found part numbers from the "other" telluride forum: 55367-S9000 and 55330-S9450 as possible part numbers for the self leveling "kit". Someone who has a login to that forum might be able to pull out the parts list that a member posted.

From online search I saw lowest prices at:
Standard suspension: shocks 55300-S9000 was about $?. The spring 55330-S9000 was about $96.
Self-Leveling suspension: self-leveling shocks 55367-S9000 was about $439. The spring 55330-S9450 appears to be $96.

Based on the previous Sorento models without self levelizer, I would estimate the standard shock absorber to be about $125.

So if that's all the parts required, it appears there is about a $628 upcharge for a do-it-your self install.

Last edited:

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Parked this is the height of my S FWD with no tow package and regular shocks: 32 5/8” with the yard stick centered in the hub from the ground to the bottom edge of the wheel well trim.
I added the OEM hitch with my own drop step ball mount rated for 600/6000lbs and. 2” ball rated for 6000lbs and attached my 5x8 utility trailer with 15” wheels, then put close to max load right over the axle with a pallet of 60 bags of mulch at 20lbs each. So I was at pretty close to 1,650lbs. Remeasured and it was 32 5/8”. Same as before with standard shocks.

Sodaktak

Reaction score
Thanks for update. This would be typical of what I would occasionally tow. Hearing the ride height stays same, I feel better about my decision to go back and remove tow pkge from my sx order. As I didn’t find need and my perception with self leveling appeared to sit lower then Telly w/o parked right next to it on the lot.

It appears the springs without self leveling shocks are rated for slightly heavier loads vs with, which makes sense as the self leveling shocks would pick up the slack as the movement activates them.

Did you just have dealer install OEM hitch?

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for update. This would be typical of what I would occasionally tow. Hearing the ride height stays same, I feel better about my decision to go back and remove tow pkge from my sx order. As I didn’t find need and my perception with self leveling appeared to sit lower then Telly w/o parked right next to it on the lot.

It appears the springs without self leveling shocks are rated for slightly heavier loads vs with, which makes sense as the self leveling shocks would pick up the slack as the movement activates them.

Did you just have dealer install OEM hitch?
Purchased from wholesalekiaparts.com, took a little over a week to be delivered and I installed myself after a few hours. Final price with tax and shipping came to $522.10.

Last edited:

KROD

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Has anyone taken pics of a self-leveling with load before driving and then after a few miles for adjustment? Would like to see how effective they are.
Well I will be doing my first tow tomorrow I can take a picture of it however I'm just towing a motorcycle trailer and one motorcycle not that heavy of a load.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

KROD

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Please do!
Before
MVIMG_20190812_085446.jpg
IMG_20190812_085452.jpg
IMG_20190812_085454.jpg

After
IMG_20190812_220646.jpg

IMG_20190812_220658.jpg

Sorry for the night time after it was a long day and I didn't get to do it earlier. But you can see in the before that it's pretty much squatting but then after you can see it's leveled off and the wheel gap is showing the difference from before and after just look at the tire and too of the rear wheel well both shots were taking on the driver side as well.

Sparky120

Reaction score
Before
View attachment 3211
View attachment 3212
View attachment 3213

After
View attachment 3214

View attachment 3215

Sorry for the night time after it was a long day and I didn't get to do it earlier. But you can see in the before that it's pretty much squatting but then after you can see it's leveled off and the wheel gap is showing the difference from before and after just look at the tire and too of the rear wheel well both shots were taking on the driver side as well.
Here in Canada the self levelling only comes SXL (Limited) which in Us is the Prestige I know I own an SX and this is what we in Canada have.

I've asked the dealership if I can get those shocks or whatever the suspension was thru them and they were dumb founded..
I told them as soon as we sat down this is what I intend on doing with this. This is the only reason we are getting rid of our old vechicle was tow rating it wasn't able to tow what we wanted. And we want the self levelling suspension but we dont want the prestige pkg.

Attachments

Sparky120

Reaction score
Here in Canada the self levelling only comes SXL (Limited) which in Us is the Prestige I know I own an SX and this is what we in Canada have.

I've asked the dealership if I can get those shocks or whatever the suspension was thru them and they were dumb founded..
I told them as soon as we sat down this is what I intend on doing with this. This is the only reason we are getting rid of our old vechicle was tow rating it wasn't able to tow what we wanted. And we want the self levelling suspension but we dont want the prestige pkg.
This is not the self levelling suspension........
The self levelling is what I wanted/want and will do when I'm able to track down the shocks, and probably not purchasing thru the dealership.

Michelw

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This is not the self levelling suspension........
The self levelling is what I wanted/want and will do when I'm able to track down the shocks, and probably not purchasing thru the dealership.
If you really want the self levelling suspension in Canada you can look at the Hyundai Palisade. Starting at Preferred trim level (45,500 cad$), the self levelling suspension is standard in Canada.