Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Trailer Hitch

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Does anyone know what class the OEM hitch is?
Still unconfirmed
  • 2" opening implies it could have been meant as at least a Class III
  • the max tongue weight of only 351 lbs. suggests it is only a Class II (although it's not a 1-1/4" opening?)
  • upon review of the manual, Kia states without a brake it should be use in a max of 1,650 lbs, suggests a Class I
This article implies it's a Class IV: 2020 Kia Telluride TFL Expert Buyer's Guide: Here's How You Can Spec A Fully-Loaded Model Over $50,000 - Page 4 of 6 - The Fast Lane Car But with the specs above outlined in the manual I'm not sure how it can be considered a Class IV.

Last edited:

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So Im reading that some people are asking if the Telluride can have a 7 pin connector installed. The answer is yes any after market brake controller can be installed in the Telluride. This is a new vehicle and with that time is needed to figure these out. But go to a pro trailer sales company and they will be able to install it. Kia has them come through with the 4 plug because that is the easiest to install. Stop blaming Kia for you not doing your homework and knowing what you are buying.
I was with you until that last sentence. Honda and Dodge (maybe a few others) market a similar towing capacity and they offer a 7-pin harness ready solution without having to use a trailer sales company to splice into vehicle wiring. I think your blaming the wrong people. If you do your homework you might notice that Kia has been marketing a 5,000 lbs towing solution that has yet to be available but selling people towing packages. Other manufacturers sell towing packages that actually do something to get you to spec. I personally think Kia didn't do their homework on this one and all it really took was looking at edmunds or kbb at the competition to see what they offer.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
2020 Ford Explorer advertises 5,000 lb towing capacity. Upon review of the tow package 52T specs, Ford adds an upgraded Engine Oil Cooler, 4 & 7 pin wiring and a tow hitch receiver rated for 560 lb tongue weight giving it a 5,600 lb towing capacity. According to kbb.com that package from Ford is MSRP $710 with invoice of $667.

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So Im reading that some people are asking if the Telluride can have a 7 pin connector installed. The answer is yes any after market brake controller can be installed in the Telluride. This is a new vehicle and with that time is needed to figure these out. But go to a pro trailer sales company and they will be able to install it. Kia has them come through with the 4 plug because that is the easiest to install. Stop blaming Kia for you not doing your homework and knowing what you are buying.

Thanks for telling us all off..... After all, you seem to be the "trailer" package expert. Maybe you should inform KIA what can be done as well.... My point has always been.... accurately tell me these modifications will not affect the Warranty for us... Some mods include an expanded oil/trans cooler as well. And no...my intent was never to try a "5th wheel" pull... just maybe a boat or small camper. The last thing I need is a blown motor or worse... brake malfunction.

I did homework, even to knowing the type of motor they use...GDI... needs to be cared for...by the book. Carbon deposits are more of an issue in them. I am sure there are a lot of things we "ALL DON'T KNOW"...but that will come out as we drive them and do maintenance. I remember back in the late 60's when some Ford motors (HYPO) had to have the motor mounts disconnected and engine lifted a bit...to get to a few of the spark plugs. I laughed at my buds ( I was GM) as they were doing this instead of wash/wax/and drive. Today... more complicated so sometimes we can't get all the info from the manual that would come with the car. We learn as we go.

And yes..I put a share of the blame on KIA... they put it into specs ...all over and even the dealers didn't know... I called and talked to a few... confused as anyone.... but you So, thank you for telling us off.
=======================================================
Capabilities

Seating: Up to 8

Towing: 5,000 lbs......... (not to mention tongue weight)

Engine: 3.8L V6 w/ 291 hp

8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB)

Available All-Wheel Drive (AWD)

Mr.JB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for telling us all off..... After all, you seem to be the "trailer" package expert. Maybe you should inform KIA what can be done as well.... My point has always been.... accurately tell me these modifications will not affect the Warranty for us... Some mods include an expanded oil/trans cooler as well. And no...my intent was never to try a "5th wheel" pull... just maybe a boat or small camper. The last thing I need is a blown motor or worse... brake malfunction.

I did homework, even to knowing the type of motor they use...GDI... needs to be cared for...by the book. Carbon deposits are more of an issue in them. I am sure there are a lot of things we "ALL DON'T KNOW"...but that will come out as we drive them and do maintenance. I remember back in the late 60's when some Ford motors (HYPO) had to have the motor mounts disconnected and engine lifted a bit...to get to a few of the spark plugs. I laughed at my buds ( I was GM) as they were doing this instead of wash/wax/and drive. Today... more complicated so sometimes we can't get all the info from the manual that would come with the car. We learn as we go.

And yes..I put a share of the blame on KIA... they put it into specs ...all over and even the dealers didn't know... I called and talked to a few... confused as anyone.... but you So, thank you for telling us off.
=======================================================
Capabilities

Seating: Up to 8

Towing: 5,000 lbs......... (not to mention tongue weight)

Engine: 3.8L V6 w/ 291 hp

8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB)

Available All-Wheel Drive (AWD)
I agree with all of your points here.

When I ordered my Telluride on Mach 9, there wasn’t a manual to look at and the dealership didn’t know either. They only spoke of the 5k Towing capacity. They nor I knew of the 4 pin wiring. I felt “told off” also on the comments about not reading, but there wasn’t anything to read.

gmona

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new boat and trailer with a total weight of approx. 3000 Lbs. The trailer manufacturer told me that they no longer make trailers over a 1000 Lbs without at least surge brakes. Its too dangerous. This requires at least a 5-pin flat connector in order to disable the trailer surge brakes when baking up. I have had to modify my 12 year old minivan myself to add a wire from the backup lights. But I am not doing it on a brand new Telluride. If the dealer does not do it I will not buy the car ! Most similar midsize SUVs come with both 5 and 7 pin connectors. Advertising a tow rating of 5000 Lbs and placing a 4 pin connector would be funny if I wasn't interested in the car, because it is a nice car.

trbst11

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So dealer says a telluride sx is available to me and person who ordered it can’t wait. It’s pearl white with dune interior but no tow package. My question is can dealer add the after or do I have to get aftermarket? Will I need the suspension upgrade? Only hauling a lawn mower or atv....not a rv or anything that large.

gmona

Reaction score
For your purpose you can probably install the hitch yourself or take the car to a U-Haul place. Most car chassis have pre-drilled holes for the hitch. The electrical harness can be tricky. Usually there is a u-tube video on that stuff. For towing stuff over a 1000 pounds, a true tow package like the one on the Jeep Grand Cherokee, provides a transmission and power steering cooler, larger capacity alternator and suspension leveling air bags of some sort, the Jeep Grand Cherokee also provides a full size spare tire. But the Jeep is too small for me. Just a reference point.

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new boat and trailer with a total weight of approx. 3000 Lbs. The trailer manufacturer told me that they no longer make trailers over a 1000 Lbs without at least surge brakes. Its too dangerous. This requires at least a 5-pin flat connector in order to disable the trailer surge brakes when baking up. I have had to modify my 12 year old minivan myself to add a wire from the backup lights. But I am not doing it on a brand new Telluride. If the dealer does not do it I will not buy the car ! Most similar midsize SUVs come with both 5 and 7 pin connectors. Advertising a tow rating of 5000 Lbs and placing a 4 pin connector would be funny if I wasn't interested in the car, because it is a nice car.
I have the same problem I pull a Mastercraft boat with surge breaks. I was able to wire a five pin harness on my 2013 Kia Sorento. I found the brake light wire in the left rear panel where the Emergency gas door panel is. See photos

Attachments

gmona

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I wired an adapter to transform a four pin flat connector to a five pin on a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The 5th wire has to be connected to the back up lights wire, not the brake lights. The purpose is to disable the surge brake actuator when you switch into reverse. Otherwise as you push the trailer backwards the trailer brakes engage and you will have problems.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I wired an adapter to transform a four pin flat connector to a five pin on a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The 5th wire has to be connected to the back up lights wire, not the brake lights. The purpose is to disable the surge brake actuator when you switch into reverse. Otherwise as you push the trailer backwards the trailer brakes engage and you will have problems.
That may be a problem on the Telluride. The backup lights are integrated into the door hatch as opposed to the sides.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have the same problem I pull a Mastercraft boat with surge breaks. I was able to wire a five pin harness on my 2013 Kia Sorento. I found the brake light wire in the left rear panel where the Emergency gas door panel is. See photos
Unfortunately I think the 2020 Telluride is not as convenient to find the wires as your 2013 Sorento was. I took as many of the plastic panels off that I could only to reveal tightly bound wrapped in black wiring, mostly above the compartment to the left where the portable spare tire jack is. It’s not obvious if those wires are for rear backup sensors or the lighting. It’s possible that removing a taillight might reveal an easier connection but I can’t see how to do that. I might try to find the install instructions for the oem 4-pin harness to see where it connects.

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think the 2020 Telluride is not as convenient to find the wires as your 2013 Sorento was. I took as many of the plastic panels off that I could only to reveal tightly bound wrapped in black wiring, mostly above the compartment to the left where the portable spare tire jack is. It’s not obvious if those wires are for rear backup sensors or the lighting. It’s possible that removing a taillight might reveal an easier connection but I can’t see how to do that. I might try to find the install instructions for the oem 4-pin harness to see where it connects.
My mistake the I found the reverse light wire in that panel. It was the red wire. I’m guessing you need to find a red wire back there going to the reverse lights. My telluride is coming in on Friday. when I find the wire I will up load photos.

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

BrianF

Reaction score
That’s true. When I bought, there was nothing to read up on and even the dealer didn’t know what kind of connector was included with the tow package. My small camper has a 7-blade connector. I took the 4-pin connector loose from the bracket on my Telluride and plugged in a 4-pin to 7-blade adapter which then bolted perfectly to the hitch bracket. My trailer doesn’t have brakes, but it does have a charging line for the trailer battery which I haven’t yet connected. But at least I can plug the trailer in and the lights work.

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
That’s true. When I bought, there was nothing to read up on and even the dealer didn’t know what kind of connector was included with the tow package. My small camper has a 7-blade connector. I took the 4-pin connector loose from the bracket on my Telluride and plugged in a 4-pin to 7-blade adapter which then bolted perfectly to the hitch bracket. My trailer doesn’t have brakes, but it does have a charging line for the trailer battery which I haven’t yet connected. But at least I can plug the trailer in and the lights work.

Member Support

Please keep ths community Ad Free with a Supporting Member account today! For as little as $0.05 per day, you can keep this community online and ad free. CLICK HERE to send your support!