No soliciting permitted.

Turn Lights

mrad31

Reaction score
I think when rear fog switch is on it activates both front and rear fog lamps.

Yeah that would make sense to me. I think I remember finding the multi-function switch outputs go to the green connector under the glove box, so to start I could take some measurements with an Ohmmeter and verify the expected resistance. Taking it from there I would just need to layout some resistors and simulate the resistance of the switch being placed in the rear fog position. It would be killer if I could get that dash indicator to light up.

machtig

Reaction score
Yeah that would make sense to me. I think I remember finding the multi-function switch outputs go to the green connector under the glove box, so to start I could take some measurements with an Ohmmeter and verify the expected resistance. Taking it from there I would just need to layout some resistors and simulate the resistance of the switch being placed in the rear fog position. It would be killer if I could get that dash indicator to light up.

I pulled the IBU to checkfor the pink fog lamp wire from the multifunction switch—it’s there (I have an EX). However it is a pain to get to and tapping into it would be difficult to do cleanly. It would be much easier to retrofit the Saudi Arabian spec multifunction switch. There are a few unused and unlabeled pins on the IPC-C connector on the fuse box that I am fairly confident are the outputs for the rear fog lamps. If I can get my hands on a Saudi Arabian spec switch I’ll know for sure

mrad31

Reaction score
@machtig are you planning on adding rear fogs as well as front to your EX? You have the LED vertical tail lamps?

machtig

Reaction score
Yes and yes. Factory rear LED lamps, soon to retrofit SX LED headlamps and front and rear fogs

snns99

Reaction score
Yes sure, It will help a lot, Thanks, I appreciate that.
snns99 send me your email address and I can send you .pdf of the rear tail light wiring diagram for US models. I would bet it can be done, but will require a bit of simple rewiring. I'll post photos of them below. I would bet your's is a combination of the US LED rear tail lamps and the US bulb type rear lamps. US bulb type rear lamps use the lower lamps in the bumper for the turn signals.

PatMatt

Reaction score
snns99 send me your email address and I can send you .pdf of the rear tail light wiring diagram for US models. I would bet it can be done, but will require a bit of simple rewiring. I'll post photos of them below. I would bet your's is a combination of the US LED rear tail lamps and the US bulb type rear lamps. US bulb type rear lamps use the lower lamps in the bumper for the turn signals. View attachment 10331 View attachment 10332 View attachment 10333 View attachment 10334 View attachment 10335 View attachment 10336 View attachment 10337
Hello machtig,
Are all the wiring plans I'd need to get the SX Canadian Model (with incandescent bulbs in the tail light, and turn signal in bumper) to convert it to : Replacing original Tail Lamps with LED's and get that turn signal wire to move (or even better split) to the LED housing to turn in that housing, same as US model do ? Can you send me that PDF, as you offered here ? Thanks ! PS Can't write directly to you, somehow, to give you my email, and I won't (of course) leave it here. Thanks !

PatMatt

Reaction score
Electrically sounds like you have the same setup as Canada. Meaning you have the LED tail/brake vertical lamps, but still have the halogen turn signals in the rear bumper? Only exception being you have a partially clear lens with an amber bulb.

Personally I like the utilization of the lights in the bumper, if it were mine I would just replace with a red or amber LED to get a cleaner look. I have the combination lamps in the US market where the tail/brake AND turn signal is on the LED vertical tail lamp. Originally the bumper had only reflectors in mine (standard for EX/SX trims in the US). I have since made my bumper lights function as rear fog lights. The third pic is the reflectors I removed and have since sold.

View attachment 8307 View attachment 8308 View attachment 8309 View attachment 8310
Hello mrad31 !

Got this project of replacing Canadian model halogen tail lights housings with LED : Done

Next step is to get rid of this hyperflah behaviour in the brake lights mode. Got the resistors ordered, still have to figure out which wire is the brake light, but I think I’ve got enough info here in the threads and YT to figure it out. Unless you simply tell me 😀

But : will swap those bumper turn signal to simple reflectors (ordered as well). This is where I’ll need more help !
- which wire on the tail light plug should I move/tap the turn signal to ?
- should I have the turn negative wire tapped into the negative of the housing as well ?
- are there any simple instructions on how to get the bumper removed/or any other action, so I can get to these bumper lights, swap them and move the two wires up ?
- Help here would be a bliss 😃
Thanks in advance !

mrad31

Reaction score
@PatMatt on the LED assembly the Brake signal and the Turn signal share the same pin, pin 3. See photo. Wiring your resistors in parallel with pins 3 & 5 should correct hyper-flash.

That being said I am a bit worried that the brake signal would override the turn signal in that case which is why I am a bit hesitant to respond without a definitive answer. Mostly wondering if the intelligence to flash the taillight is built into the taillight assembly itself or if the SX harness/BCU is different in that if braking and signaling at the same time it shows signaling over braking (software decision over electrical). Worst case you try and doesn't work as expected with something like a temporary t-tap.

As for the rear bumper removal, its a bit involved. I didn't fully remove mine because of complications with bolts near the spare and hitch. So I just pulled it away enough to get to the reflectors. I believe the turn signals are included in the rear ultrasonic harness so just be careful gaining access there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 1.34.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 1.34.09 PM.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 27
  • ++Af4se0T3+behfb+jiBWA.jpg
    ++Af4se0T3+behfb+jiBWA.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Rear Bumper Removal.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 25

PatMatt

Reaction score
Thanks A LOT mrad31 !

Took pictures of the harness (wiring colors) yesterday, because I'm from an Halogen harness, I've got 5 pins, in which there seems to be 2 blacks ... So I was trying to match with diagrams I found on this site, and mapping the pins to see where I could put the turn signal. But there you go, you have an anwer !

Since I can (finally !) now start a conversation and attach images or other stuff in the threads. I'll post stuff here.

For the bumper, we'll see ... mee2 I see this as a bit scary in ma garage ... in winter ;)

Thanks again and again and again !

mrad31

Reaction score
@PatMatt no problem! I think you are pioneering this effort as I have not read of any success (or attempt) stories on retrofitting LED taillights.

You are correct, the halogen harness has 2 ground connections and the pinout for the halogen harness is as follows (very close to the LED one):

1: TAIL+
2: DNP
3: STOP+
4: GND TAIL & STOP -
5: GND MARKER-
6: MARKER+

Idk why they included 2 separate ground return paths, best guess is to alleviate current flow on the small guage wire they chose?

Tellthemride

Reaction score
no problem! I think you are pioneering this effort as I have not read of any success (or attempt) stories on retrofitting LED taillights.
Agreed. Once @PatMatt figures it out, there would probably be interest from other owners in purchasing a custom plug and play harness to do this retrofit. Similar to what @machtig made for the SX LED headlight retrofit.

PatMatt

Reaction score
Once it gets warmer outside, in a couple of days, I'll wire resistors in parallel with pins 3 & 5, as this should correct hyper-flash, as per @mrad31 instructions.
Once done, I'll see what I can do myself to dismantle the bumper (I'm no mechanic at all) and tap the turn signal wire to that #3 as well.
@Patsfan29

sherman

Reaction score
Electrically sounds like you have the same setup as Canada. Meaning you have the LED tail/brake vertical lamps, but still have the halogen turn signals in the rear bumper? Only exception being you have a partially clear lens with an amber bulb.

Personally I like the utilization of the lights in the bumper, if it were mine I would just replace with a red or amber LED to get a cleaner look. I have the combination lamps in the US market where the tail/brake AND turn signal is on the LED vertical tail lamp. Originally the bumper had only reflectors in mine (standard for EX/SX trims in the US). I have since made my bumper lights function as rear fog lights. The third pic is the reflectors I removed and have since sold.

View attachment 8307 View attachment 8308 View attachment 8309 View attachment 8310
Hi mrad31. I'd like to have the same set up you cerated for your SX bumpers, with the twilight and rear fog lights. Did you buy the turn signals for the S model and install those with the dual filament LED bulb?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

mrad31

Reaction score
Did you buy the turn signals for the S model and install those with the dual filament LED bulb?
Yes, that is exactly what I did. I sourced the turn signal assemblies from eBay and then replaced the existing harness with a new socket to accept an 1157 red LED bulb and ran new wiring to function with the taillights (dim setting) and then when front fogs are switched on and my in-line switch is on the rear assemblies get brighter to function as rear fogs.

PatMatt

Reaction score
LED tail lights retrofit from Halogen, on a Canadian SX :
Will post more info, but this worked for brake & tail signals, for a LED tail housing,
Next : turn signals
Thanks again mrad31 !

Attachments

• 34909C08-278A-4858-8B2B-2B58D24A8B90.jpeg
    34909C08-278A-4858-8B2B-2B58D24A8B90.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 14

PatMatt

Reaction score
@mrad31 how did you manage to do just the necessary steps to loosen the bumper, to replace your reflectors with your rear fog lights ?
I want to do the opposite ... I got reflectors from EBay, and I want to replace turn signal lights with these.
I'd like to do what you did to remove part of the bumper.
Looking at the PDF to remove the bumper, I find that I'm not that keen to go under Telly to remove those bolts ... or if you tell me it's easy without jacking the car ...
Of course, I'll want to reach those two turn signal cables and move them up there, on + and - pins going to the DC-DC regulator ... to get the turn signal to work with LED housing ...
Oh and ... I'd like to bolt the DC-DC regulator/resistor "kit" somewhere safe ... I guess the bumper is that place, right ?
Thanks a lot !
See attached my setup, just before hiding it in the trunk, temporarily.

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 24

mrad31

Reaction score
how did you manage to do just the necessary steps to loosen the bumper, to replace your reflectors with your rear fog lights ?
I followed everything in those instructions except for disconnecting the trailer harness and completely removing the bolts in step 4. I had issues getting to the two bolts underneath near the spare and hitch, just a combination of too big of hands and not a good tool I guess lol. I did manage to loosen them. I did pull the rear cover (step 5) on the driver side that exposes the trailer connections, as well as the push clips underneath on both sides (step 6). The wheel wells I did last and that is where I started to pull it off. Myself on one side and my father on the other we kind of just grabbed the lower part of the bumper and pulled it away from the body, then just made our way to the middle. It was definitely hung up on the hitch and those bolts I couldn't get all the way out so we just left it hang there while swapping the assemblies. I did not use a jack or any lift. If you need more room like I did when I installed the hitch its easier just to park it on a decline if available so the rear end is in the air a bit more. But I get it rolling around on the concrete is not fun.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_44c.png
    fullsizeoutput_44c.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • fullsizeoutput_44d.png
    fullsizeoutput_44d.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

PatMatt

Reaction score
Oh boy indeed ... got that trailer hitch right there, might complicate things.
You (thanks !) convinced me to pay local garage to dismantle that bumper, I'll play around in their lot to fix and test my things, and ask them to get it back in.
With the help of your instructions as well.

Thanks again !

PatMatt

Reaction score
... and I'll need plenty of time to bolt the kit, and replace my too-small wires (26 to 20-gauge) in there ...

nightfall your telluride
Get your luxury badges right here in the Telluride forum store
Kia Telluride Clubs
Protect your vehicle from code scanners