Welcome to our KIA Telluride community!

We're so glad you found us! Please take a moment to register. We'd LOVE to have you!

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

What are you cross-shopping the KIA Telluride with?

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
I owned a fully loaded 2015 Explorer and I’ll never go back. By 2nd year I had leaks and engine kept sputtering. Did not enjoy the service department w/ Ford either.

Hopefully it’s changed with the new models but I would be scared to get a 1st year release of their new explorer.
That's too bad. The new Explorer is really quite nice. I don't see myself liking it as much as the Telluride - but it can't be denied - the CUV is very nice... Customer service is hit or miss with Ford dealers - a lot like at KIA. But I do believe KIA is doing better and better - and improving at a faster pace than Ford in this area. As far as reliability - that definitely goes to KIA...

SBPC20

Reaction score
The base model turbo 4 explorer starts at $33. If I recall..
putting the twin turbo V6 at least to $36 starting, I would think?
No natural air breathing version at all.

I just want a natural air breathing V6 with a real transmission Kia is winning, but I know absolutely nobody that owns one to even go for a ride in..

Jenny Wang

Reaction score
The base model turbo 4 explorer starts at $33. If I recall..
putting the twin turbo V6 at least to $36 starting, I would think?
No natural air breathing version at all.

I just want a natural air breathing V6 with a real transmission Kia is winning, but I know absolutely nobody that owns one to even go for a ride in..
I'll bet the Sorento would give you a good idea of what the Telluride feels like. It also uses the non turbo V6.

CAsuKiHy

Reaction score
Was very determined to start this year with research on Subaru Ascent, of all other ones, I like their looks, safety features and apparently reliability! Pilot (looks wrong for my taste), owned Acura and never had a single issue with it, Highlander (I like the looks and reliability), but it’s small inside, and lacking some safety features!
I need 8 seater, so considered Mazda, not impressed, apparently they rust in snow, and I plan on exploring west coast of this beautiful country in the future with kids. Not impressed with Seronto and Santa Fe. Unfortunately, I don’t even consider American cars. I have BMW sedan, love the car, but that thing is leaking oil and I’m waiting for it to break down. Love their looks, but would never pay that money for a new car. Atlas, hmmm love and hate, heard they have a lot of issues!
Then, I see Palisade and Telluride coming!
Absolutely love the Telluride look, I like Palisade, expect those lights in front are odd!
Now will definitely wait for them to start going around.
I need a car that is reliable, keeping it long term, safe, AWD, 8 seats.
First new car we are buying, it’s little scary.
One friend tells me don’t buy 1st year model!
Other, don’t buy Subaru (engine, transmission issues???). I’m no expert on cars, but I know I don’t want it breaking down on me.
I really hope KIA is reliable as a lot of people claim, I don’t really care for brand and reputation, just want it to be legit! Will look into Hyundai too.
Is their warranty what they claim it is. It is appalling to have something that covers at least duration of the loan.
How smart is it to buy first year model?
If I could wait I would, but with kids and more coming we need bit more space.

Hopefully I didn’t drown anyone with this post.
Thanks, cheers!

MastriaTelluride

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch an American made SUV with a 40 ft. pole.

I've personally had fantastic luck with my 2016 Toyota Rav4 but it isn't a fair comparison. If I were shopping for a 7 passenger SUV, on my shortlist would be the Telluride, Palisade, and highlander. I'm definitely bias though, as I am around Kia products everyday so I see first hand the improvements in quality over the past 5 years.

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
Was very determined to start this year with research on Subaru Ascent, of all other ones, I like their looks, safety features and apparently reliability! Pilot (looks wrong for my taste), owned Acura and never had a single issue with it, Highlander (I like the looks and reliability), but it’s small inside, and lacking some safety features!
I need 8 seater, so considered Mazda, not impressed, apparently they rust in snow, and I plan on exploring west coast of this beautiful country in the future with kids. Not impressed with Seronto and Santa Fe. Unfortunately, I don’t even consider American cars. I have BMW sedan, love the car, but that thing is leaking oil and I’m waiting for it to break down. Love their looks, but would never pay that money for a new car. Atlas, hmmm love and hate, heard they have a lot of issues!
Then, I see Palisade and Telluride coming!
Absolutely love the Telluride look, I like Palisade, expect those lights in front are odd!
Now will definitely wait for them to start going around.
I need a car that is reliable, keeping it long term, safe, AWD, 8 seats.
First new car we are buying, it’s little scary.
One friend tells me don’t buy 1st year model!
Other, don’t buy Subaru (engine, transmission issues???). I’m no expert on cars, but I know I don’t want it breaking down on me.
I really hope KIA is reliable as a lot of people claim, I don’t really care for brand and reputation, just want it to be legit! Will look into Hyundai too.
Is their warranty what they claim it is. It is appalling to have something that covers at least duration of the loan.
How smart is it to buy first year model?
If I could wait I would, but with kids and more coming we need bit more space.

Hopefully I didn’t drown anyone with this post.
Thanks, cheers!
I like the Volkwagen Atlas too. On the outside. The inside doesn't feel very luxurious to me. I mean, they do have Audi - and that's their luxury brand. So I don't expect a lot of luxury out of Volkswagen. But it's going to be their Audi competing with the Telluride - not the Atlas. Reliability is definitely on your side with KIA...
I wouldn't touch an American made SUV with a 40 ft. pole.

I've personally had fantastic luck with my 2016 Toyota Rav4 but it isn't a fair comparison. If I were shopping for a 7 passenger SUV, on my shortlist would be the Telluride, Palisade, and highlander. I'm definitely bias though, as I am around Kia products everyday so I see first hand the improvements in quality over the past 5 years.
I'm glad you're on board. I hope you'll be selling Tellurides to our members!

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks good, but I would never consider FORD. Too bad because I remember American cars used to stand for quality and reliability.
They've got better over the years. Especially most recently. Still, the Asian brands have an advantage over everyone else as far as quality and reliability is concerned...

Moonkat

Reaction score
Had 2003 Pilot - gen1, now with mother in law, still running great.
Have:
2006 - Ridgeline, gen 1, 150k, 15mpg
2010 - Insight, 50k, 36 mpg
2010 - Prius, 60k, now 42mpg, plus one tires
No mech issues with any of these.

Cross shopping:
Pilot
Passport
Telluride
All three have near identical mpg ratings - 21mpg combined

I am impressed with weight of Telluride, just under Pilot, and a dramatic improvement of H/K weight vs structural strength Management from a decade age. That in combination with Kia excellent IIHS crash test ratings...Top Pick Plus for the 2018 Sorento. Expect to see same for Telluride.

Also very interested to learn more about the Telluride 3.8 L Atkinson cycle engine. Learned that Atkinson cycle is now fairly common not only in hybrid engine design like my prius but independently in vehicles like the 2017+ Tacoma. Furthermore, that variable valve timing is used to simulate the Atkinson cycle or the Otto cycle. This implies that modern motors as the Kia can switch between these modes based on your selection of sport or echo.

I am all ears.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.