No soliciting permitted.

Jeep Grand Cherokee L OR 22 Telluride SX NF Prestige

Alan

Reaction score
Best of luck with your new vehicle.
Best of luck with your new vehicle.
Congrats, looks like you've all the bases covered. My wife and I are debating between the Telluride SX and GCL Overland. We test drove the Kia and liked it, haven't even seen the Jeep in person yet. As you know the Overland model with the advanced tech and lux packages can run close to mid 60k's especially with the Hemi V8 so in higher trims the Jeep I'd hope would be worth the extra cost. I'd love to get your feedback on the following:

1) I'm assuming the shorter and lighter Kia vs the Jeep feels more maneuverable? How does the Jeep's V6 (assuming you got this more popular engine) compare to the Tellurides in refinement and acceleration around town and on the highway?

2) The Telluride has more 2nd row passenger space, does it feel considerable smaller in the Jeep?

3) How would you compare overall seat comfort between them especially in the first row?

4) Is Jeep's Uconnect 5 infotainment screen satisfactory or "laggy" at times?

5) How is the road noise in the Overland? Did you get the off-road 18" wheels or the all season 20's?

6) Any concerns for the air suspension reliability long-term (after warranty expires)?

7) How was the Jeep buying experience? willing to negotiate?

8) Do you feel the Jeep is a good value proposition compared to the Telluride?

Thx and congrats again. Sounds like you've two awesome machines!

MG535

Reaction score
Do you feel the Jeep is a good value proposition compared to the Telluride?

Not at all. The Telluride’s value prop absolutely destroys the GCL. Provided you’re paying sticker for both.

irishbrahmin

Reaction score
1) I'm assuming the shorter and lighter Kia vs the Jeep feels more maneuverable? How does the Jeep's V6 (assuming you got this more popular engine) compare to the Tellurides in refinement and acceleration around town and on the highway?

I'd say the engine refinement is about the same. It seems that the Pentastar V6 revs a bit higher when accelerating or passing.

2) The Telluride has more 2nd row passenger space, does it feel considerable smaller in the Jeep?
No.
3) How would you compare overall seat comfort between them especially in the first row?
The seat comfort is about the same. Both are Nappa leather.
4) Is Jeep's Uconnect 5 infotainment screen satisfactory or "laggy" at times?
UConnect 5 can be a tad laggy but it boots up instantly. That's one annoyance with the Telluride 0-- when starting it can take awhile for UVO to boot.
5) How is the road noise in the Overland? Did you get the off-road 18" wheels or the all season 20's?

I got the 20" wheels with Bridgestones. I think the Kia might be a little quieter.
6) Any concerns for the air suspension reliability long-term (after warranty expires)?
Not really. I have GEICO's mechanical breakdown insurance included in my policy which has a very reasonable deductible.
7) How was the Jeep buying experience? willing to negotiate?

It was very easy because I (1) knew what I wanted; (2) arrived early; (3) had worked the numbers; and (4) knew that the dealership had 50+ JGCs in stock. Also, most customer buy lower trims (e.g., Limited, Altitude), so the dealership is eager to move the higher trims.

8) Do you feel the Jeep is a good value proposition compared to the Telluride?

It depends. I think I got a great deal (1.2% below invoice), but Jeeps take a huge depreciation hit. I think a loaded JGC-L is a near luxury vehicle that's considerably cheaper that its luxury rivals (Audi Q7,Cadillac XT6, etc.). I think the Kia is a great value, particularly if you pay below MSRP.
Thx and congrats again. Sounds like you've two awesome machines!

Alan

Reaction score
I'd say the engine refinement is about the same. It seems that the Pentastar V6 revs a bit higher when accelerating or passing.

No.

UConnect 5 can be a tad laggy but it boots up instantly. That's one annoyance with the Telluride 0-- when starting it can take awhile for UVO to boot.

I got the 20" wheels with Bridgestones. I think the Kia might be a little quieter.

Not really. I have GEICO's mechanical breakdown insurance included in my policy which has a very reasonable deductible.

It was very easy because I (1) knew what I wanted; (2) arrived early; (3) had worked the numbers; and (4) knew that the dealership had 50+ JGCs in stock. Also, most customer buy lower trims (e.g., Limited, Altitude), so the dealership is eager to move the higher trims.

It depends. I think I got a great deal (1.2% below invoice), but Jeeps take a huge depreciation hit. I think a loaded JGC-L is a near luxury vehicle that's considerably cheaper that its luxury rivals (Audi Q7,Cadillac XT6, etc.). I think the Kia is a great value, particularly if you pay below MSRP.
Thanks for your time answering my questions. Nobody has done an on-line comparison between the two that I'm aware of yet. I guess the GCL has just hit the market. Looking forward to checking it out!

IntruderM

Reaction score
Thanks for your time answering my questions. Nobody has done an on-line comparison between the two that I'm aware of yet. I guess the GCL has just hit the market. Looking forward to checking it out!

Here is a good comparison that I saw.

TONYK11

Reaction score
I traded in my Jeep (no a Grand Cherokee though) for a Telluride. Reliability left a lot to be desired with the Jeep brand overall. Only had 20,000 miles on it, and was in at the dealer at least 5 times, usually for 3-5 days each time.

The only Jeep I would own from here out would be something that was purpose built for off-roading. Then when I break it, it woudl be my fault.
^^ THIS! I traded a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited for an EX AWD Pre & Tow. Put 60K on the JGC, and without doubt it was the most maintenance heavy vehicle I've owned in years. Failed oil pressure sensor, failed front wheel bearings, failed front calipers, etc etc. Not impressed after running a Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series that was near bombproof over 310K miles.
My initial sense is that the build quality of the Telly is better by far. No question that the Jeep 4WD system is superb, and that there is no substitute for a transfer case/lockable diff setup.
Still, I'm more than happy with the Telly that has just passed its first 1000M. Better average gas mileage than the JGC too.

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

No.

Congratulations. Since you seems to be a serial car purchaser I can't wait to see what you'll be purchasing next.

I hope you stick around to let us know how it works out with the GCL. You got two of the newest vehicles in the market. I'm also looking at the Pathfinder.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Somewhat related comment, I find it a little odd that the JGC doesn’t have the battery in the engine bay. Apparently, the batteries are under the front passenger seat. I haven’t been able to figure out what advantage Jeep thought this would provide.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

sbce1012

Reaction score
Somewhat related comment, I find it a little odd that the JGC doesn’t have the battery in the engine bay. Apparently, the batteries are under the front passenger seat. I haven’t been able to figure out what advantage Jeep thought this would provide.
I had a 2014 GC for 6 years without knowing this. I still have no idea why this is the case, but the technician that replaced my battery was also surprised at the location.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We
I had a 2014 GC for 6 years without knowing this. I still have no idea why this is the case, but the technician that replaced my battery was also surprised at the location.

On the one hand it makes more room in the engine bay to make more room for a larger engine, but on the other hand, if your battery dies completely and you have electric seats, how do you slide the seat forward to get to the battery?

sbce1012

Reaction score
but on the other hand, if your battery dies completely and you have electric seats, how do you slide the seat forward to get to the battery?
In my case, the driver’s seat is electric but the passenger seat is not. Not sure about for newer models though

irishbrahmin

Reaction score
At this point I think the Telly is a more solid vehicle in that I've heard no squeaks or rattles.

By contrast, the JGC-L has squeaks and rattles, which has been true for every JGC that I've previously owned. A major culprit is the juncture of dissimilar materials and gaps around the center stack. In fact, I had to add felt to fix a major rattle (a technique I learned from a master Acura tech).

Alan

Reaction score
Yes, I think you're probably right. Consumer Reports first drive review was a mixed bag. They'll have their complete review once they clock 2,000 miles (break-in) and do all their barrage of track testing at their facility. Quality fit and finish looks like a weak point in areas you mentioned leading to squeaks/rattles in the cabin. Not acceptable for any new car let alone a "premium vehicle" that can reach close to 70k. Hopefully Jeep sort this out for year two production. They promised better quality control but they're having issues with fit and finish along with some complaints of the supposedly 5x faster Uconnect 5 system being a bit laggy in operation. On the plus side the ride and comfort look decent and the off-road capability is receiving high praise.

NDBlackEX

Reaction score
I finally got around to checking out the Jeep. It was quite comfortable in the first row but once you got to the 2nd and 3rd row it was not good. It reminded me of the 1st gen Traverse/Acadia, the first row was great but after that it truly was terrible.

The 2nd row was cramped and the seat sits closer to the floor than the Telluride (or most FWD based unibody SUVs) and the leg room was lacking. The drive train tunnel or whatever they're hiding under there was boxy and very intrusive.

There's no denying that the Jeep would be more capable off road than the Telluride but if you're interested in passenger space, the Telly is far and away better. The tow rating is also higher with the Jeep but if I were going to be towing regularly and something in the 4-6k lb range, I'd opt for the stability that comes with a larger vehicle like a Tahoe or Expedition.

Much like when I looked at the Explorer, once I'd sat in all the seats, I declined the opportunity for a test drive as I felt there were many competitors who's vehicles were much more comfortable all the way around.

stbentoak

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
In my case, the driver’s seat is electric but the passenger seat is not. Not sure about for newer models though
I had a 14 JGC summit. The battery will last years longer in the interior of the vehicle. Changed mine at 6 years and shop said nothing wrong with your old one…. There are clamp connections under the hood for chargers and jumper connections.
Another vehicle to consider in the mid 50k range is an LS Chevy Tahoe. Great towing, room galore, V8 and newly updated…once you’ve had this kind of interior room, everything else is cramped….

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a 14 JGC summit. The battery will last years longer in the interior of the vehicle. Changed mine at 6 years and shop said nothing wrong with your old one…. There are clamp connections under the hood for chargers and jumper connections.
Another vehicle to consider in the mid 50k range is an LS Chevy Tahoe. Great towing, room galore, V8 and newly updated…once you’ve had this kind of interior room, everything else is cramped….
I don’t see a Tahoe as the same class of vehicle when compared to the Kia Telluride or Jeep GCL. The Tahoe is over 2’ longer. I wonder how many people take it out of consideration just because it can’t fit in their garage. It’s also a truck based SUV where the other two are unibodies.

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
I don’t see a Tahoe as the same class of vehicle when compared to the Kia Telluride or Jeep GCL. The Tahoe is over 2’ longer. I wonder how many people take it out of consideration just because it can’t fit in their garage. It’s also a truck based SUV where the other two are unibodies.
The Suburban would be the one that’s a little over 2’ longer than the Telluride… the Tahoe is only a little over 1’ longer than the Telluride.

Either way, the Tahoe is in a quite different class being truck-based… it’s wider and sits much higher-sitting. And has some strengths in different areas than the Telluride does.

At least the 2021+ Tahoe has an acceptable amount of space behind the third row… previous generations had less cargo space than the Telluride with the third row up, and the third row wasn’t very hospitable, either.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Suburban would be the one that’s a little over 2’ longer than the Telluride… the Tahoe is only a little over 1’ longer than the Telluride.
Gotcha. My garage is about average sized and my Telluride is pretty tight. I can’t image a taller, wider and 1’ longer vehicle fitting in the same. A JGCL appears to only be a couple inches longer.

stbentoak

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Gotcha. My garage is about average sized and my Telluride is pretty tight. I can’t image a taller, wider and 1’ longer vehicle fitting in the same. A JGCL appears to only be a couple inches longer.
The comparison was more for what you can get for the appx same money. Most garages are at least 24x24 and the Tahoe would fit easily. No its not the same vehicle Per Se, But the redesign has new and much more compliant independent rear suspension with flat floor and lower cargo deck height. It has room you never thought you needed till you have it... And towing anything with the Tahoe vs the Telly would be a night and day difference in confidence. The negatives are like the telly, Tahoe's are in short supply and also getting additional dealer markups too...

nightfall your telluride
Get your luxury badges right here in the Telluride forum store
Kia Telluride Clubs
Protect your vehicle from code scanners