Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

New Member Intro (Telluride Product Planner answering product-related questions)

arckal

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@310TELLURIDER okay.. situation here from the dealer side. It appears that Kia decided to take away the built in harddrive that allows you to copy songs from usb to harddrive on both the Stinger and Telluride. Will we be bringing it back or going away from that options? Thanks for your response
I think @310TELLURIDER is on break or something, hasn't responded since last weekend. I wonder why..

John

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@310TELLURIDER

First off, welcome!

1. Was there a reason why the Telluride (at least in SX trim) didn't get the full digital gauge cluster (like that of the K900 and in the higher trims of the KDM Palisade and now the Sonata) and is that something that will be added for the next MY?

2. As for a rear entertainment system, don't think it's worth the cost these days as most kids just use their phones or tablets (also avoids fighting over what to watch); the exception may be for really young kids, but even older toddlers these days use tablets (so maybe a system to attach a tablet behind the front seat?).

3. Also don't think the Telluride needs the powered 3rd row seats (which is available on the Palisade); a good bit slower than doing it manually and another thing that can break down.

4. Good job on the faux wood and metal accents and interior overall (also kudos in minimal use of piano black); never understood why automakers scrimped when it came to the interior (ahem, GM) as that's where drivers/people spend pretty much all their time when around their vehicles.

Any though of using real wood veneer in the future? (Not just on the Telluride, but something like the Cadenza?)

One option would be to use bamboo - lower cost and more environment-friendly.

5. Didn't like the recessed headlights and grille shape on the concept as was an overall ungainly look.

The production grille is sleeker, but the headlights could definitely have been made more interesting (altho it is fine)l actually have more of an issue w/ the taillight design (esp. that nub).

Overall, want to commend everyone on the product planning/development team = as the Telluride is an overall great package and the class leader in the segment.
I was drafting a comment but before I posted it I just wanted to ensure I limited the duplications from other posters when I came across your post. I absolutely concur with everything you said especially #2 which would add at least $1000.00 to the cost of the vehicle. My only complaint is that I didn't read your post before I started my draft because it would have saved me some time.

Tunes4us

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
310 thanks for being here. As others have mentioned the Towing package is very poorly done. Only a 4 pin connector( 7pin is the norm) and the car is not(from what I can find) prewired for a towing brake. Kia obviously has not done their research on comparable competitors in this category.

hillbella

Reaction score
Is Kia afraid to market to large families in the States? @310TELLURIDER
I originally called my Kia guy about the 11 passenger Grand Carnival. Which I found out isn't available in the USA. He suggested the Telluride. Which I test drove and loved. I was disappointed that I had to choose between the additional features of the SX (ie: Blind spot video) and being able to fit everyone in the vechile.

Milad

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a Kia corporate employee and started reading the threads on this website to gather reactions/feedback on the Telluride.

I am the Telluride Product Planner so I will try to contribute as much as I can by answering product-related questions.

Thank you everyone that have purchased a Telluride and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed developing and planning it!

Cheers!
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. This is representative of the fact that you folks over at Kia are doing a great job of trying to get it right.

This is a question that has come up previously, but not in this particular respect. Namely, the fact that Kia has advertised an “up to 5000lbs towing capacity” but has wiring in place only for a 4 pin trailer which is entirely unsuitable to tow anything remotely close to 5000lbs is very problematic in my opinion and potentially opens Kia up to liability in the future. You can imagine a situation where someone who is not privy to the difference between 4 pin or 7 pin connections buys an aftermarket adapter from 4 pin to 7 pin and connects a trailer close to 5000lbs (which for safety reasons requires a brake signal to be sent to the trailer from the car to safely operate). Well that adapter would not actually send the brake signal given that the car is only fitted with a 4 pin and the adapter would not generate the brake signal. If an accident were to occur in that case causing injury or even worse - I wonder if there would be a potential claim against Kia for advertising the fact that the car comes with up to 5000 lbs towing capacity but not providing the proper wiring to ensure that the car can actually safely tow something that heavy. You might want to refer this question to the Kia legal department to get ahead of this issue before it turns into something where someone is hurt. Ultimately, it sounds like you folks are working hard to remedy the issues and I hope this one is also remedied as well.

310TELLURIDER

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Ahhh that kills me to think that it actually could have been. That one change made me go from wanting to buy 10 of them to just maybe 1. But you can't please everyone. Who knows maybe it will get a facelift in the future. Thank you again for your time and response.
No problem and you are very welcome!

310TELLURIDER

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply to my earlier comment about the dimming outside mirrors. They have been on my last five top trim cars from Toyota, Honda and Hyundai.

On another matter. I am 6'8" tall, my wife is 5'3" tall. We both need to drive and be comfortable as front seat passengers in our cars. We often travel to Chicago from Atlanta by car. The trip takes about 14 hours with stops for rest, food and fuel. We split the driving on this long day.

Seating for the driver needs to have a broad range. It need to go down far enough for me to enter the vehicle. ( The Telluride has nice tall door openings, THANK YOU. ) And it needs to go up enough for my wife to see over the side mirrors and dash. ( The extending seat bottom does nothing for me, my thigh is nowhere near the seat bottom with it extended or retracted, and my wife keeps hers retracted on our Genesis. ) And the long trips, both of us want the best passenger seat available. Please whenever you can, make the driver and passenger seats match in adjustments. If the driver has adjustable lumbar support, give that to the passenger side too.

Lumbar support is the reason I am waiting for the top trim of the Palisade. If they have four way lumbar support for the driver, that will get me there with cash in hand. My lumbar support position is not at the same height as my wife's. If the passenger has four way lumbar support, that will seal the deal. If the top trim Telluride had four way lumbar on both seats, one would be in my driveway now.

If you really want to step on some luxury brand toes, add memory functions for the passenger side.

LeRoy
1. Wow! 6'8" is definitely on the upper range on the height spectrum. With the average height (and the main focal point) being much lower than yours, I can definitely understand the issues you have mentioned. Just for my edification, could you please provide some examples of other vehicles where you found greater amount of comfort?
2. Your suggestions have been noted and I agree with all of them - thank you!
Some notes:
a) Matching the driver and passenger side adjustments - I wish that was possible but in most cases, driver always gets priority.
b) 4-way lumbar adjustment - I agree with you. I wish we could have applied but Kia Drive Wise features took a higher priority. Definitely still on the table for future application.

Again, thank you for the suggestions!

310TELLURIDER

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@310TELLURIDER

First off, welcome!

1. Was there a reason why the Telluride (at least in SX trim) didn't get the full digital gauge cluster (like that of the K900 and in the higher trims of the KDM Palisade and now the Sonata) and is that something that will be added for the next MY?

2. As for a rear entertainment system, don't think it's worth the cost these days as most kids just use their phones or tablets (also avoids fighting over what to watch); the exception may be for really young kids, but even older toddlers these days use tablets (so maybe a system to attach a tablet behind the front seat?).

3. Also don't think the Telluride needs the powered 3rd row seats (which is available on the Palisade); a good bit slower than doing it manually and another thing that can break down.

4. Good job on the faux wood and metal accents and interior overall (also kudos in minimal use of piano black); never understood why automakers scrimped when it came to the interior (ahem, GM) as that's where drivers/people spend pretty much all their time when around their vehicles.

Any though of using real wood veneer in the future? (Not just on the Telluride, but something like the Cadenza?)

One option would be to use bamboo - lower cost and more environment-friendly.

5. Didn't like the recessed headlights and grille shape on the concept as was an overall ungainly look.

The production grille is sleeker, but the headlights could definitely have been made more interesting (altho it is fine)l actually have more of an issue w/ the taillight design (esp. that nub).

Overall, want to commend everyone on the product planning/development team = as the Telluride is an overall great package and the class leader in the segment.
Thank you for the questions.
1. Full digital gauge cluster: Cost played a factor. The Telluride provides one of the best values, if not the best in the segment.
2. Rear entertainment system: Agreed...they are more important for minivans due to the toddler factor. But we are still studying.
3. Powered 3rd row seats: Completely agree and it could also reduce cargo space.
4. Interior: We made a point to really provide an inviting and upscale interior! Thank you for the kind words!
5. Real wood: Again, just like #1, cost plays a factor, along with environmental concerns. And while on that topic, I will add bamboo the study list!

Thank you for the input!

310TELLURIDER

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank you for your bravery in joining the forum, announcing who you are, and what you want to do to improve the product! Nice!
The biggest area of concern for me is the lack of 7 round trailer connection with a pigtail at the dash for a trailer brake controller. This would prevent me from running wires to do it myself. I’ve done this before for other vehicles but would prefer not to.
Key fob remote start with the existing key fob. If the vehicle already has remote start via the UVO app, remote start through the fob should be a no brainer.
While I wait for delivery, I’m impressed that KIA is listening!
Jerome.
Thank you for the inquiry!
1. Trailer connection: I am looking into this with the subject matter experts.
2. Remote Start: This was a decision (only providing via UVO app) made by another department. However, I will bring this up. I agree that a simple button on the remote would be much faster and easier to use.

Thanks!

310TELLURIDER

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@310TELLURIDER okay.. situation here from the dealer side. It appears that Kia decided to take away the built in harddrive that allows you to copy songs from usb to harddrive on both the Stinger and Telluride. Will we be bringing it back or going away from that options? Thanks for your response
Thanks for asking! I believe streaming is the new direction for now and the future.

310TELLURIDER

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Is Kia afraid to market to large families in the States? @310TELLURIDER
I originally called my Kia guy about the 11 passenger Grand Carnival. Which I found out isn't available in the USA. He suggested the Telluride. Which I test drove and loved. I was disappointed that I had to choose between the additional features of the SX (ie: Blind spot video) and being able to fit everyone in the vechile.
Not at all! We would have to develop a business case and upon approval, develop a suitable vehicle.
I've had the pleasure of riding in a Grand Carnival (known as the Sedona in the US) with the 11 passenger capacity. Simply put, the 11 passenger capacity does not provide sufficient leg room in the 3rd and 4th rows for American consumers (please see the attached image below).
In addition, the 11 passenger configuration reduces the cargo area, which is an area of high priority among MIDSIZE MPV (minivan) buyers.

Just curious, what passenger seating capacity are you looking for? 11?

310TELLURIDER

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I was drafting a comment but before I posted it I just wanted to ensure I limited the duplications from other posters when I came across your post. I absolutely concur with everything you said especially #2 which would add at least $1000.00 to the cost of the vehicle. My only complaint is that I didn't read your post before I started my draft because it would have saved me some time.
You are correct! A full digital instrument cluster is a thing of beauty but cost is something we have to watch carefully.
Thank you for the comments!

hillbella

Reaction score
Not at all! We would have to develop a business case and upon approval, develop a suitable vehicle.
I've had the pleasure of riding in a Grand Carnival (known as the Sedona in the US) with the 11 passenger capacity. Simply put, the 11 passenger capacity does not provide sufficient leg room in the 3rd and 4th rows for American consumers (please see the attached image below).
In addition, the 11 passenger configuration reduces the cargo area, which is an area of high priority among MIDSIZE MPV (minivan) buyers.

View attachment 1047
Just curious, what passenger seating capacity are you looking for? 11?
I was looking at a NV Passenger until I found out that the only passenger van was that is available with AWD was the Mercedes. I only need 5. We currently all squeeze into a Forte but I wanted to be able to haul my kiddos & their cousins especially since my mom likes to be able to take ALL her grandkids to the zoo. I also wanted to be able to haul the softball team. What I want is different than what I need. The Telluride w/8 at least gives me the option to pick up 1 set of cousins and not have to choose one out those gets left out.

bean123

Reaction score
1) Is there a way to customize or change what the unlock button on the key fob does. I'd prefer a single press to unlock every door (including trunk). It would be nice to have this in the vehicle settings screen somewhere. Maybe I missed it.
1b) Same with drivers door button
2) Even better optional setting would be if all doors would unlock when the key fob is within a certain distance of the car (<3 feet similar to auto trunk open)
3) Is there a way to add HD Radar to the home screen (instead of weather or clock)? Honestly it seems to be the quickest way to display traffic in the area. Not a fan of android auto so far. And Kia map doesn't show traffic when I zoom out to see my entire commute. I drive in a north south direction so it not ideal for the widescreen.
4) It seems like the Kia map always wants to recenter itself and I haven't figured out how to pan the map without putting the crosshairs on it for destination.

I've only had mine since Saturday so I'm still learning. Sorry if these are noob questions.

FireMartZ

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
1) Is there a way to customize or change what the unlock button on the key fob does. I'd prefer a single press to unlock every door (including trunk). It would be nice to have this in the vehicle settings screen somewhere. Maybe I missed it.
1b) Same with drivers door button
2) Even better optional setting would be if all doors would unlock when the key fob is within a certain distance of the car (<3 feet similar to auto trunk open)
3) Is there a way to add HD Radar to the home screen (instead of weather or clock)? Honestly it seems to be the quickest way to display traffic in the area. Not a fan of android auto so far. And Kia map doesn't show traffic when I zoom out to see my entire commute. I drive in a north south direction so it not ideal for the widescreen.
4) It seems like the Kia map always wants to recenter itself and I haven't figured out how to pan the map without putting the crosshairs on it for destination.

I've only had mine since Saturday so I'm still learning. Sorry if these are noob questions.
For 1 and 1b, there is a setting in the driving cluster parameters. It allows to set if the doors will unlock with 1 or 2 pushes on the door lock button and since I changed it to 1 push, I'm pretty sure all doors do unlock with the key fob.

tallLeRoy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
1. Wow! 6'8" is definitely on the upper range on the height spectrum. With the average height (and the main focal point) being much lower than yours, I can definitely understand the issues you have mentioned. Just for my edification, could you please provide some examples of other vehicles where you found greater amount of comfort?
I am comfortable seated as a driver or passenger in our 2015 Hyundai Genesis Ultimate, BUT the door openings are not tall enough for me to get in without origami.
Our 2017 Honda CR-V Touring has a good driver seat and a poor passenger seat (4-way). That is why we are looking at the Telluride and Palisade.
I rented a 2017 Lincoln MKC for an extended period, I fit on both sides. The transmission selector eliminated it from consideration. (They kept the selector stupid for the rename.)
I rented a 2019 Nissan Pathfinder, the driver side was fine. Passenger side was not, footwell is not flat on the right.
I test drove a 2017 Subaru Forester, I got into it just fine, but the seat had a curve that pushed my shoulders forward.
I test drove a 2017 Audi Q7, I fit on both sides. I am not sure which seating option it had. The seats were narrow for my taste.
I test drove a 2017 Audi Q5, I fit on both sides. Not sure of which seats were in it, these were narrow too.
I test drove a 2019 Subaru Forester Touring, both driver and passenger side were fine. For us, this is your main competition. But Head-up display like our Genesis has the edge.
I tried to test drive a 2019 Subaru Assent that same day, I could not even get into the driver seat, the door opening was not tall enough even with my best folding technique.

I was ready to buy a Kia Sorento SXL when it came out, I fit on both sides, but for that model year it did not have automatic emergency braking and accommodating cruise control. The second year added those features, BUT the headrest was changed to a single position. It is too far forward, it forces my shoulders forward off of the seat back; the prior year headrest went forward and back. The 2019 Kia Sorento press release said the forward and back headrest was one of the changes, but I have not found it on any higher trim Sorento.

I make it a point to seek out each new vehicle regardless of manufacturer to see if I fit. It is almost always disappointing. The media says the VW Atlas is big, but I can't even sit in it. The driver seat will not lower far enough.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.