No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Owners more than 6 months please share your reviews

Doc

Reaction score
Nice eval. I'd like to know which vehicles you'd rate a 10 for those categories.
If everyone was honest and forthcoming, NO vehicle would rate a 10 in every category. I shall await the Consumer Reports evaluation at the end of the year to see the most common complaints and problems before plunking down $40K + for a Telluride.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If everyone was honest and forthcoming, NO vehicle would rate a 10 in every category. I shall await the Consumer Reports evaluation at the end of the year to see the most common complaints and problems before plunking down $40K + for a Telluride.
@Doc you may already know this, but the annual results survey from Consumer Reports is based off of an auto satisfaction survey sent to a sampling of Telluride owners. So one person’s 10 out of 10 is about as accurate as same as what the “reliability” score is that you get out of a survey. I find the CR data informative but I wish they had something that was based on actual vehicle testing or dealer repair data instead of opinion based survey results. You are trusting that the average consumer is classifying a problem as electrical when it may be A/C for example.

sprocket

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I just past the 15k miles mark and March will be the one year anniversary of getting my Telluride. The thrill of driving it today is just as exciting as the first time I drove it home.
My only negative critique would be having to pay a monthly fee for accessing remote features (after the first year). I understand there are inherent costs in maintaining the infrastructure to support such services, but I feel the $22 monthly fee that Kia charges is excessive.

A more reasonable amount, such as $5 per month, would be an amount that I would not hesitate to pay.
(now I will put away my soapbox)

PaulD

Reaction score
@Doc you may already know this, but the annual results survey from Consumer Reports is based off of an auto satisfaction survey sent to a sampling of Telluride owners. So one person’s 10 out of 10 is about as accurate as same as what the “reliability” score is that you get out of a survey. I find the CR data informative but I wish they had something that was based on actual vehicle testing or dealer repair data instead of opinion based survey results. You are trusting that the average consumer is classifying a problem as electrical when it may be A/C for example.
This isn't quite accurate. CR sends the survey to all subscribers (magazine or digital). They determine their owner satisfaction and reliability rankings from that. In some cases, they'll also project a reliability rating if the brand or model has a really good history. Like with the 2020 Highlander, they'll say it's going to be reliable because all previous Highlanders have been shown to be reliable, even though they have no survey on the 2020 because it's brand new. I will say they give the Telluride 4/5 for reliability and that seems a bit of a stretch given they probably have very little data and there really isn't any previous model info to go on.

They also give a vehicle a test score based on their own testing and evaluation of that vehicle. They then recommend it if it tests well and gets good reliability projections.

CR tries and certainly means well, but their data is imperfect so their projections might not always pan out.

On the other hand, the JD Power dependability ranking is a huge crock of s**t. Their methodology is they base the projection on cars from 3 model years prior. So for their 2020 ranking, it'll only be based on 2017 cars. In 2021, they'll look at 2018, and so on. For a variety of reasons, that's utterly useless.

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
I still Love my Telluride EX AWD. Owned it since June of 2019. Very quiet, smooth riding, but still not perfect. In my opinion there is no such thing as perfect in the automotive world. Issues I have are,
1. Sound system is mediocre. I'm thinking about doing some work to it this summer and adding a sub and amp.
2. Rear view camera is terrible at night. I changed them out to LEDs and they are still meh. I'm working on a fix for this.
3. This is my fault but, the piano black interior scratches so easily. They have the same material on the side pillars of the car... I have to polish them with wax
4. Halogen headlights are horrible. Can't see anything in heavy rain and other conditions. I swapped them out for diode dynamic sl1 headlights. Still, I needed more light output so I installed foglights.
5. Wish they had puddle lights instead of the weird door handle light. It's preference I suppose.
6. The leather for the EX seems a little too stiff for me. I kinda like the feel of the S model vinyl seats. Perhaps I need to break them in more?
7. I get a weird creak noise when I step out of my car. Can't pinpoint where it is but it's there somewhere.
8. Interior lighting is meh, so I had to install strip lights and bury the cables.

Overall there is tremendous value with the Telluride. All the tech features, ride quality, and my goodness the space more than makes up for my gripes. I don't regret my decision. I traded in my Audi Q3 which I have owned for two years and let me tell ya it's small. I have a special needs daughter that needs the space for all her stuff. The Telluride is an absolute champ for hauling stuff and carrying her around safely. Cheers for KIA's first attempt on the Tellurides first year. I have to believe version 2.0 in the future will be even more amazing.
Some of your issues are addressed by getting the SX Prestige package. Granted - it is a jump up in price. I haven't paid attention to the trims below SX - does the EX have the Harmon Kardon stereo?

TFamilyMan

Reaction score
Some of your issues are addressed by getting the SX Prestige package. Granted - it is a jump up in price. I haven't paid attention to the trims below SX - does the EX have the Harmon Kardon stereo?
Yup the SX does. No Harmon Kardon on the EX. I wish I pulled the trigger on an SX, but the waiting list at my dealer who doesn't do market adjustment pricing last year was longer than a football field. I just couldn't wait since my family needed the bigger car. Still love the Telluride but man I'm truly jealous about that side cam the SX model has. That's an amazing feature!

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
Yup the SX does. No Harmon Kardon on the EX. I wish I pulled the trigger on an SX, but the waiting list at my dealer who doesn't do market adjustment pricing last year was longer than a football field. I just couldn't wait since my family needed the bigger car. Still love the Telluride but man I'm truly jealous about that side cam the SX model has. That's an amazing feature!
Yeah - I was quoted a 4-6 month wait on my SX-P we have on order. But I think it will be worth it. Just hoping our tired 2011 Honda Odyssey (which has been a nightmare to own - with nearly $18K in warranty work done under the 8 year extended warranty and another $1K and counting since the warranty expired.) Never buying another Honda product. They aren't what they used to be.

beaners

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, this happens when you turn off the engine before you put it in park, although your scenario might be different.
You are correct. This just happened to me last night for the 1st. time. It's just how it works.

Doc

Reaction score
8 months owned, 11,500 miles as my daily driver

Telluride for daily driving? It works fine. Gets me to where I am headed and back home.

How has your experience been on road trips? Road fine, comfortable and good mileage for the size

What things would you like Kia to consider in next generation Tellurides? Nothing I can think of that I need

How would you rate your Telly out of 10 for the
Looks - 8
Handling - 8
Fuel Efficiency - 8
Cargo Capacity - 8
A more reasonable assessment. I haven't had one vehicle in the past 65 years that wold rate a 10. I am interested in the 2021 Telluride, but I also don't want a car that will be frustrating with the 'nickle and dime' occurrences. Based on Consumer Reports, it looks like the best bet for the mid-size SUV.

Doc

Reaction score
This isn't quite accurate. CR sends the survey to all subscribers (magazine or digital). They determine their owner satisfaction and reliability rankings from that. In some cases, they'll also project a reliability rating if the brand or model has a really good history. Like with the 2020 Highlander, they'll say it's going to be reliable because all previous Highlanders have been shown to be reliable, even though they have no survey on the 2020 because it's brand new. I will say they give the Telluride 4/5 for reliability and that seems a bit of a stretch given they probably have very little data and there really isn't any previous model info to go on.

They also give a vehicle a test score based on their own testing and evaluation of that vehicle. They then recommend it if it tests well and gets good reliability projections.

CR tries and certainly means well, but their data is imperfect so their projections might not always pan out.

On the other hand, the JD Power dependability ranking is a huge crock of s**t. Their methodology is they base the projection on cars from 3 model years prior. So for their 2020 ranking, it'll only be based on 2017 cars. In 2021, they'll look at 2018, and so on. For a variety of reasons, that's utterly useless.
I concur. One has to examine data from a variety of sources, and even with that, you can be surprised. I do not place much credence in anything on the web when the supposed evaluations are done by people paid by someone to say good things about the vehicle. To show just how bad they are, they will describe headlights, cup holders and contour lines with the fervor of a art critic examining a great art work. I am more interested in what works well, what doesn't and true reliability. I like the Mazda CX9 better than the Telluride, but it also has its wart as all vehicles do, which makes one decide based on personal preferences. I just do not quite buy into all the hoopla about a relatively new vehicle, the Telluride. I will probably wait until the 2022 models arrive before making a decision.

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
I concur. One has to examine data from a variety of sources, and even with that, you can be surprised. I do not place much credence in anything on the web when the supposed evaluations are done by people paid by someone to say good things about the vehicle. To show just how bad they are, they will describe headlights, cup holders and contour lines with the fervor of a art critic examining a great art work. I am more interested in what works well, what doesn't and true reliability. I like the Mazda CX9 better than the Telluride, but it also has its wart as all vehicles do, which makes one decide based on personal preferences. I just do not quite buy into all the hoopla about a relatively new vehicle, the Telluride. I will probably wait until the 2022 models arrive before making a decision.
The Mazda CX9 is not a true three row SUV. Yes - it has a third row of seats - but they aren't usable or easy to get to...and when you do have them up - has horrible storage. And the tech in the Mazda is old. If Mazda brought out a larger CX9 it would be a better competitor in the class...but it would need a huge upgrade on space inside.

As for the Telluride reliability...it has now been in production for over a year with nearly 80K examples on the road. No major recalls and by and large the owner group is very satisfied. Oh...and it keeps winning awards - even beating out the all new Toyota Highlander in comparison tests.

Doc

Reaction score
The Mazda CX9 is not a true three row SUV. Yes - it has a third row of seats - but they aren't usable or easy to get to...and when you do have them up - has horrible storage. And the tech in the Mazda is old. If Mazda brought out a larger CX9 it would be a better competitor in the class...but it would need a huge upgrade on space inside.

As for the Telluride reliability...it has now been in production for over a year with nearly 80K examples on the road. No major recalls and by and large the owner group is very satisfied. Oh...and it keeps winning awards - even beating out the all new Toyota Highlander in comparison tests.
I never plan to use the useless third seat in whatever SUV I buy. I guess I like to refined interior and drive of the Mazda better than the more utility type Telluride. I am not totally averse to it, but I will still keep my 2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6 until the 2022 models arrive. BTW, hoe many awards had the Ford F-150 won? And, it does not have a stellar record.

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
I never plan to use the useless third seat in whatever SUV I buy. I guess I like to refined interior and drive of the Mazda better than the more utility type Telluride. I am not totally averse to it, but I will still keep my 2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6 until the 2022 models arrive. BTW, hoe many awards had the Ford F-150 won? And, it does not have a stellar record.
No vehicle has one as many awards in a single year than the Telluride has won. It has even been recognized for that fact. Not sure why you brought up the F-150....different class of vehicle all together.

The Mazda does have a nice interior - but many (including myself) count the tech on the inside as part of the refined interior. In that regard - the Mazda is well behind the Telluride.

kane

Reaction score
I like xse V6

Doc

Reaction score
I like xse V6
I do also, but I need more cargo hauling capacity. I traded a Nissan Frontier for the Camry. Also, I am 81 and low stance makes it hard to get into and out of, considering I may have to have a hip replacement soon.

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The CX-9 is actually one of the larger midsize CUVs on the market (only something like the Traverse is longer in length), but it has really inefficient packaging.

CX-9 - 199.8"
Telluride - 196.9"

The best things about the CX-9 are its handling and sheetmetal, but likely will be able to get close to the level of handling w/ the new Sorento (esp. if they do a GT trim), which is on Kia's new, lightweight platform - at a lower price w/ pretty much the same 3rd row/cargo room.

Last edited:

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
The CX-9 is actually one of the larger midsize CUVs on the market (only something like the Traverse is longer in length), but it has really inefficient packaging.

CX-9 - 199.8"
Telluride - 196.9"

The best things about the CX-9 are its handling and sheetmetal, but likely will be able to get close to the level of handling w/ the new Sorento (esp. if they do a GT trim), which is on Kia's new, lightweight platform - at a lower price w/ pretty much the same 3rd row/cargo room.
You are correct. My reference to a larger three row was aimed at how small the interior is.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

beaners

Reaction score
We have had are 2020 Telluride about 6 months and have really no complaints so far. There is however some very small windshield chips that may need to be addressed later down the road that Kia knows about if they get worse. One of the best SUV's I have ever owned. It is a S model AWD. I dipped the wheels black an added some door moldings and since the pics ,blacked out drivers front windows. Very happy with the purchase so far.

Attachments

Last edited: