No soliciting permitted.

RECALL 20V-436 - 2020 Telluride - Inoperative Trailer Brake Lights

Karen

Reaction score
I just got a recall notice on the UVO app for the trailer light issue. I’ve got an appointment to bring it in this Tuesday morning.

TheNip73

Reaction score
I have no plans to bring my vehicle in for this one. Whenever I next need service is when I will get it done. Since I do most work myself, it might be a while...

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
This is an almost completely pointless recall. Granted, everything should work correctly, and it's good they're fixing it. But really, no one should be using cruise control when towing a trailer anyway. And as long as you continue to not use cruise control when hooked up to a trailer, you will have zero problems.

Karen

Reaction score
This is an almost completely pointless recall. Granted, everything should work correctly, and it's good they're fixing it. But really, no one should be using cruise control when towing a trailer anyway. And as long as you continue to not use cruise control when hooked up to a trailer, you will have zero problems.
Would it affect you’re warranty if you don’t bring it in when there is a recall?

bruesjoh04

Reaction score
Would it affect you’re warranty if you don’t bring it in when there is a recall?
I wouldn't actively try to avoid getting it fixed (so it doesn't look like you have an open recall – I still can't see how that would affect anything warranty related), but I also wouldn't go out of my way to get it taken care of. As was mentioned above, probably best just to take care of it when you are having other routine maintenance performed.

And again, as long as you are following good, responsible driving practices, you're not going to be affected by this anyway.

Karen

Reaction score
I wouldn't actively try to avoid getting it fixed (so it doesn't look like you have an open recall – I still can't see how that would affect anything warranty related), but I also wouldn't go out of my way to get it taken care of. As was mentioned above, probably best just to take care of it when you are having other routine maintenance performed.

And again, as long as you are following good, responsible driving practices, you're not going to be affected by this anyway.
Thank you for the advice.

bogie

Reaction score
Not entirely true... what brought this my attention was my use of an additional lighting device - a hitch light - which is an attempt to add additional run/turn/brake lights to the rear of my vehicle -- to try to get the attention of potentially inattentive drivers -- which was not working correctly due to this issue.

rvv2002

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So I have the recall as well. I had inquired about having the 2021 7 pin harness + hitch installed on my 2020 (instead of paying to have the 2020 4 pin + hitch). Would this be a part of this? Should I have them wire the 7 pin while they do this to save $$? Thoughts?

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I received the recall notice in the mail, but don’t have the tow package. I won’t be rushIng into the dealership to get this fixed.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

blitt

Reaction score
For me.....My 2020 SX P was a dealer order car and came equipped with the tow package....I don't tow anything and never will....point of concern for me is that to do the necessary fix, they are going to have to pull off trim pieces as they run the new harness back to the hitch point. I REALLY don't want them doing all of that .....the vehicle is fine and runs beautifully and the fit and finish is great.....having them do all that for something I will never use is not necessary. Talked with my dealer today and they said that's fine with them!

bogie

Reaction score
point of concern for me is that to do the necessary fix, they are going to have to pull off trim pieces as they run the new harness back to the hitch point
Read the recall TSB, included in the PDF above... only fuse panel cover and driver's kick panel are removed... nothing under the vehicle is touched, nothing is run back to the hitch point.

Had mine done, hooked up my hitch light with an extension 4-pin wiring to inside the car to verify how it works - trailer brake lights now come on when: in Auto-Hold; when SCC applies the brakes (to keep at set- speed, happens more often than I thought - go up a hill, drops a gear to speed up back to set-speed, crest the hill and start down, applies brake to bring back down to set-speed) and when bringing vehicle to stop behind traffic...

Assumption is the fix makes the trailer brake lights mimic the vehicle brake lights, as it should have done originally.

wcarlson40

Reaction score
For me.....My 2020 SX P was a dealer order car and came equipped with the tow package....I don't tow anything and never will....point of concern for me is that to do the necessary fix, they are going to have to pull off trim pieces as they run the new harness back to the hitch point. I REALLY don't want them doing all of that .....the vehicle is fine and runs beautifully and the fit and finish is great.....having them do all that for something I will never use is not necessary. Talked with my dealer today and they said that's fine with them!
Except when you go to sell your car, and the buyer pulls the CarFax and sees there is an outstanding recall that you never fixed. You're going to lose serious trade in value.....

Stoney

Reaction score
If “smart” mode worked as it should that should be all that is needed for the drive mode so the vehicle can decide. But I would still disable SCC and not use the auto-brake so my foot was actually on the pedal when towing.
I agree - after reading about the various modes, Smart mode is designed to automatically use the correct mode, and by letting the computer decide which mode, it can't cause any warranty coverage issues. Also it's good to know that "Trailer Stability assist" helps stabilize trailer sway and automatically applies the brakes to stabilize the front wheel and if that is not enough it applies all 4 brakes and reduces the engine power. If I hadn't realized that and my car suddenly braked I would have thought I had a brake/computer problem. Now I have to find out from the manufacturer of my trailer stabilizers if that is an issue, as the instructions say not to use a stabilizer bar if there is already one installed in the tow vehicle.

blitt

Reaction score
Except when you go to sell your car, and the buyer pulls the CarFax and sees there is an outstanding recall that you never fixed. You're going to lose serious trade in value.....
Perhaps.....and I also read on this thread that very little trim removal is necessary, so I'll probably get it done.