No soliciting permitted.

AC Leak. AC Issues

Joeyknucklez

Reaction score
So after a full month of back and forth with these idiots, then hanging up on me, it's obvious they refuse to acknowledge there is an issue with the location of the AC components that are susceptible to outside damage from any little thing. Especially for us who live in climates where snow is a factor. The pics show the location of entry, and where it received damage. The other is their response. I just submitted my claim to insurance and they are asking for pics, dealer documentation on how they think it happened etc. Some say I should have done it in the first place. No, I wanted to see if KIA would own up to this and repair. And to save me the headache of filing a claim. I'm also going to fabricate something that will prevent this from happening again. Hopefully this does not happen to anyone else.

Attachments

dtanker69

Reaction score
Same issues here. After trying to do the right thing, KIA let me down. I eventually decided to use my comprehensive insurance. I am extremely disappointed with KIA and lack of professional assistance. They need to recall the vehicle and reinforce the front of the condenser. It took them 3 days to ID the issue and want to charge my insurance 4 hours to identify the issue. I call BS on this. Good luck!

Kwim

Reaction score
what is your mileage?
your radiator looks like a car run 100k

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tellthemride

Reaction score
@Joeyknucklez based on your photos, it just looks like a few bent fins. Not even the size of a baseball. It does look mostly concentrated on the bottom right when facing the front of the car.

did a rock get through the fins and hit one of the coolant pipes behind it? I would imagine there should be a gaping hole in the fins if it did.

I may give it a go with a mesh gutter guard and zip ties. As a preventative measure.

Last edited:

Telly16

Reaction score
Sounds like this is a pervasive issue with the 2020 Telluride. Love mine...got it in May 2019...noticed steam (definitely wasn't smoke) from under the hood in October. Took it to the dealership then and they said they found nothing wrong. Now it gets warm outside and so put on the A/C and blows hot air. Dealer tech said it was a rock in the condenser (after looking for the leak for 3 days!) and it will cost almost $2,000!!! Called Kia customer care and they wouldn't even take my name. They said if it becomes a recall they will give me a refund. This is not right. I did not take my Telly offroading or anything, just normal street driving. This will be my first and last Kia if they don't make this right.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Sounds like this is a pervasive issue with the 2020 Telluride. Love mine...got it in May 2019...noticed steam (definitely wasn't smoke) from under the hood in October. Took it to the dealership then and they said they found nothing wrong. Now it gets warm outside and so put on the A/C and blows hot air. Dealer tech said it was a rock in the condenser (after looking for the leak for 3 days!) and it will cost almost $2,000!!! Called Kia customer care and they wouldn't even take my name. They said if it becomes a recall they will give me a refund. This is not right. I did not take my Telly offroading or anything, just normal street driving. This will be my first and last Kia if they don't make this right.
This isn't a Kia issue, many different makes and models have had the same thing happen. It's just bad luck that a rock got kicked up and you happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most manufacturers will not cover this, but your car insurance should since it was outside damage, not a manufacturing defect.

G

G-958728

I want to start off by saying my wife and I really like this SUV. We waited and did our research before we bought the Telluride S model. Well, we have 400 miles on it and the AC started blowing hot air and gray smoke came out from under the engine and it smelled like Freon. Well its been at the KIA dealership all day and they got back to me saying there is a leak in the AC and have to wait for the KIA engineers to get back to them. It's new and we understood there might be some issues but this sucks. We only had it for 7 days. My question to you is: Have any of you had issues with the AC? Thank you in advance I will keep you up to date.
I have under 2,000 miles same shit is happening to me while on vacation at the beach in 90 plus conditions....

MONKEYPANTS555

Reaction score
We were just told a rock put a hole in the AC line and it is not covered on the warranty so it will be a $2,000 fix. It's been driven on the Highway, granted there rocks on the highway. So frustrated!
Try a different dealer. Stories like this make me wish I didn't buy one. Your insurance may cover it also.

Reaction score
This is concerning however I compared it to my old FX35 and I see that car also has about the same opening with not much restriction. That car is now 16 years old and have not filled any refrigerant. Hoping that the Telluride will not have any issues.

I say one thing that can help maintaining safe distance it will help even with paint chips from rocks and stone.

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Try a different dealer. Stories like this make me wish I didn't buy one. Your insurance may cover it also.
The message is almost a year old. Pretty sure OP already handled the situation.

Shouldn’t let minor issues deter you from enjoying the most awarded SUV of all time.

Add a layer of protection if you want to avoid dealing with this problem and an insurance claim. Like this one.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This is concerning however I compared it to my old FX35 and I see that car also has about the same opening with not much restriction. That car is now 16 years old and have not filled any refrigerant. Hoping that the Telluride will not have any issues.

I say one thing that can help maintaining safe distance it will help even with paint chips from rocks and stone.
I looked at every car in our parking lot, Nissans, Hondas. toyotas, Fords, Chevies and infiniti and they all have openings big enough to see the condensor with no mesh protection of any kind. It's just a bad luck event.

Reaction score
The Chevy Volt has this same problem in a bad way. There is a guy making screens for them and by all accounts he has a great reputation for these and his customer service. Maybe he could do something like this for us. I'll reach out to him to see if he is willng to help. VoltScreen

brianc

Reaction score
Funny, I thought the same thing (I'm in both the Ascent and Telluride forums since I'm trying to decide which one to buy) and reached out to him yesterday. It seems like the Ascent folks are pretty happy with his work: AC Condenser Protection Screen

I think he's taking a look at whether it's doable. Apparently he doesn't mess around. The page is already up: Kia Telluride

Last edited:

dtanker69

Reaction score
I want to start off by saying my wife and I really like this SUV. We waited and did our research before we bought the Telluride S model. Well, we have 400 miles on it and the AC started blowing hot air and gray smoke came out from under the engine and it smelled like Freon. Well its been at the KIA dealership all day and they got back to me saying there is a leak in the AC and have to wait for the KIA engineers to get back to them. It's new and we understood there might be some issues but this sucks. We only had it for 7 days. My question to you is: Have any of you had issues with the AC? Thank you in advance I will keep you up to date.
I went through similar issues. The AC condenser is not covered with the warrantee. I called corporate HQ and they reviewed and disapproved my request. I ended up making a compressive claim with my insurance. I paid $100. They will quote you $1400 or more to have it replaced. I am still mad about this, but feel as I did ok considering the circumstances. Best of luck with this.

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Be careful. I was told that my condenser was cracked due to a rock hitting it. They want $1400 to fix it. I refused to pay and filed a grievance with KIA HQ. I also called my insurance and made a comprehensive claim which will cost me $100. Much better than $1400. Good luck!
I went through similar issues. The AC condenser is not covered with the warrantee. I called corporate HQ and they reviewed and disapproved my request. I ended up making a compressive claim with my insurance. I paid $100. They will quote you $1400 or more to have it replaced. I am still mad about this, but feel as I did ok considering the circumstances. Best of luck with this.
First time I’ve seen a response to a year old post and then repeated again when it it became an even older 1.4 year old post. 👌

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
Funny, I thought the same thing (I'm in both the Ascent and Telluride forums since I'm trying to decide which one to buy) and reached out to him yesterday. It seems like the Ascent folks are pretty happy with his work: AC Condenser Protection Screen

I think he's taking a look at whether it's doable. Apparently he doesn't mess around. The page is already up: Kia Telluride
Awesome. I think I might order some now so they are ready to install on my SXP once it arrives next month. Thanks for posting the link.