Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Bad Dealer Dealings - List Your Bad Dealer Experience

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I just located a Moss Green SX w/ Prestige at Fette Kia in Clifton, New Jersey. Website shows the Kia MSRP with a strike through that says call for price. I contacted them with interest, and the sales rep told me he would have the sales manager call me back. 5 minutes later the sales rep called me and stated that due to "limited supply, the rare color option, and the fact that KIA has shut down production" there would be a market adjusted price. The new price for the vehicle would be $71,000. I repeated the number 3 times thinking I perhaps heard it wrong, even stating that was easily $23K above MSRP. He stated that was the final offer.
Winner, winner ... chicken dinner! This probably takes the crown. This dealer should be publicly shamed for their unabashed audacity!!

stbentoak

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
All this BS is a good reason to let this vehicle cool down a bit... Maybe look at it late summer or fall and see what's coming in. It will be the same vehicle then as now...

Unless you really NEED a vehicle now, It would be prudent to let this phase go by and let things balance out... Nothing is worth overpaying for in my book....

Mr White

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Retracted this bad dealer review. Owner called and sorted everything out.

Last edited:

tellurride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Jeff Wyler Eastgate Kia - Rob Anderson (Manager) made a deal for a White SX Telluride at MSRP told me it was marked as sold to me, then sold the car out from underneath me when someone came in and paid $5k over MSRP. I had already taken a half day off work, gotten insurance together for the new car and was ready to head to the dealership to sign. Do not work with this automotive group.

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Jeff Wyler Eastgate Kia - Rob Anderson (Manager) made a deal for a White SX Telluride at MSRP told me it was marked as sold to me, then sold the car out from underneath me when someone came in and paid $5k over MSRP. I had already taken a half day off work, gotten insurance together for the new car and was ready to head to the dealership to sign. Do not work with this automotive group.
WOW. If I was you, I would raise hell with KIA corporate and let them know about this stealer.

tellurride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
WOW. If I was you, I would raise hell with KIA corporate and let them know about this stealer.
I called corporate and they said they can't do anything because dealerships are independent entities. They only sell them the cars. This is why I question the value of dealerships in general.

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Dealers are rated by the manufacturers, nobody wants to get on the manufacturer’s black list unless they are a major market player and they sell a ton for them. Making the complaint is good enough.

ACI

Reaction score
Yes. Kia of Irvine was adding $7k market adjustment. I suppose they are trying to feast while they can. IMHO it really turns people off to the brand. I’m sure many people who are looking at the Telluride are customers who have never set foot in a Kia dealership (I know I haven’t) and it’s almost like going back in time and experiencing the shady practices of days gone by. Corporate needs to completely re-educate the dealer network!!!
I’m in OC too- Cerritos marked up 10K for SX, 4K on S, they actually quoted me $900 for a lease on an EX. Your right, it really turned me off to Kia. We previously had a Highlander and were looking at the Explorer. We tried other Kia dealers in OC and found a reasonable one so ended up getting a Telluride. We still get calls about the marked up vehicles we saw so they aren’t moving like they hoped. Including Irvine.

Zackprince

Reaction score
Friendly Kia New Port Richey,Fl......Called about a Telluride...Found out $899.00 Doc Fee ...AND...$1899.00 "Protection Pkg....Window tint,free nitrogen tire refills,etc....Buyer beware...$3000.00 Added on for Nothing !!

EROCK

Reaction score
Yes. Kia of Irvine was adding $7k market adjustment. I suppose they are trying to feast while they can. IMHO it really turns people off to the brand. I’m sure many people who are looking at the Telluride are customers who have never set foot in a Kia dealership (I know I haven’t) and it’s almost like going back in time and experiencing the shady practices of days gone by. Corporate needs to completely re-educate the dealer network!!!
I agree! And sadly after 4 cars from Cerritos, the owner of the dealership refused to let a Telly go for anything under a 10k markup! That is just insane to me and completely defeats the purpose of buying a Kia...VALUE! So we went to Covina Valley and payed UNDER MSRP for a black SX...and it was a wonderful experience...and I quote “what was the price again?” As the owner wrote it in the system. I came in with a monster TrueCar deal and there was ZERO hesitation or bitterness..quite the opposite actually. So the moral of the story is...Kia Of Cerritos..although a very nice flagship dealership for the brand...is being far too greedy here..especially months after the release of the vehicle.

Sandy_Eggo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I ran into a couple of local dealer marking up all Tellurides over MSRP. In both cases they flat-out refused to negotiate. Perhaps you'd have better luck in person or with a different sales rep, but I just moved on to other dealers.
  • Penske Kia in Chula Vista (San Diego County) is charging $4k over MSRP for all Tellurides.
  • Ball Kia in National City (San Diego County) is charging $5k over MSRP for all Tellurides.

0sparky0

Reaction score
After close to 2 weeks of back and forth with Kia Country, Charleston SC, we had an appointment to buy this morning. My wife arrived after a 2 hr drive there, and was greeted with not just completely wrong paperwork, but also, our sales guy wasn't there, and the price was WAY higher than discussed. She was pi$$ed. She also went to Savannah Kia, who had a hefty markup and weren't interested in us. After my wife left Kia Country Of Charleston, she went to Stokes Kia, who had awesome people beginning to end, and brought home a white ex, for less than the others were offering for an S. My Kia sedona lease was expiring also. They were so good, we also bought the van.

I'm really disappointed in Kia Country Of Charleston, and specifically Mile Brand, the guy who I've dealt with. What a huge waste of time. Kia of Savannah wasn't a surprise, or unprofessional. They were completely unrealistic in 2015 when I got the Sedona also.

My wife really likes the car.

RW4

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Careful with Dulles Kia in Northern VA. I contacted them about a Dark Moss S. They had it for $2K above MSRP and when I called them on it, they claimed it was because of the appearance package they added. This was the internet sales manager. Later find out they claimed the package was pinstripes, mud guard flaps, and wheel locks. What is that, $100 in supplies? These folks seems to think the alleged appearance package justifies well above MSRP. I took my business elsewhere.

Jersey City Kia

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Well when you understand that most dealerships will hire anyone with a pulse and put them out on the floor with little or no education... things come into perspective. On any vehicle purchase I have done, I've done far more research and am more knowledgeable than 90% of the salespeople I have encountered. I don't have ANY expectations from a salesperson when going into a dealership other than getting the deal put together to my satisfaction. Hopefully, they'll surprise me, but that is not usually the case, especially at the KIA level. This is definitely the case of a potentially great vehicle that the dealership network hasn't caught up with yet....
I hate to hear stories like this, it really disappoints me. Its a tough business, and its only getting tougher. Young people don't seem to have the attention span or the acumen to handle being rejected so often. Also customers want the best deal possible and that means a flat commission to the salesman $75-$100. The sales model is broken, The shift needs to be on educated sales people and quality customer service. But of course to get quality people, you have to pony up the money.

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I hate to hear stories like this, it really disappoints me. Its a tough business, and its only getting tougher. Young people don't seem to have the attention span or the acumen to handle being rejected so often. Also customers want the best deal possible and that means a flat commission to the salesman $75-$100. The sales model is broken, The shift needs to be on educated sales people and quality customer service. But of course to get quality people, you have to pony up the money.
Great perspective.

bches89

Reaction score
Friendly Kia New Port Richey,Fl......Called about a Telluride...Found out $899.00 Doc Fee ...AND...$1899.00 "Protection Pkg....Window tint,free nitrogen tire refills,etc....Buyer beware...$3000.00 Added on for Nothing !!
Yep, unfortunately, most of the Tampa Bay area Kia dealers aren't much better, especially the ones with inventory.

Joflo0705

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Iv tried dozens, literally dozens of dealers in Texas. From south to central and northern Texas and have yet to find a dealer who is willing to charge only msrp. Im not even asking for a discount just dont charge me for bullshit i dont want. Nitrogen, pinstripes, paint/interior warrenty etc etc the list goes on and on. This really turns me of this brand. These dealerships could care less about the customers, literally all they care about is how much they can take out of your pocket, they are taking advantage of a situation. I get it, its a hot car, but its no limited production/special edition. Its going to depreciate just like any other car out there. Good job on kia but they should really get their dealerships in check, its disgraceful. How hard is it for someone to take my 45k for this truck! Damn!! I just had to vent had a long day of getting the same bs over and over again.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It's a shame really. And Kia should know... folks wrote about these problems when they launched the Stinger. Very frustrating...