Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Bad Dealer Dealings - List Your Bad Dealer Experience

kmkia

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have been in contact off and on with a dealership in Hickory, NC about the purchase of a SX. The salesman agreed to sell at MSRP because the vehicles were in "high demand" but they never got in one with the right color combination. Yesterday I found out one is coming in with the right combo but lists for $48450, more than I wanted to spend with options I don't need. Asked him if they would discount off MSRP, he said no and the price is $53450. I sent him the email about selling at MSRP. His response ? "That was on a different vehicle at a different time in the market". So if anyone wants to pay $5K above sticker, go to Hickory, NC. I will not get in your way

kmkia

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Forgot to add this

Yes. We are asking market value for the vehicle whenever it becomes available. We have had people offer much more than that while it’s not been for sale!

popcrnchicken

Reaction score
I have been in contact off and on with a dealership in Hickory, NC about the purchase of a SX. The salesman agreed to sell at MSRP because the vehicles were in "high demand" but they never got in one with the right color combination. Yesterday I found out one is coming in with the right combo but lists for $48450, more than I wanted to spend with options I don't need. Asked him if they would discount off MSRP, he said no and the price is $53450. I sent him the email about selling at MSRP. His response ? "That was on a different vehicle at a different time in the market". So if anyone wants to pay $5K above sticker, go to Hickory, NC. I will not get in your way
Yes, things have changed drastically in the past 2 weeks. Dealerships that were being reported in the “good dealer thread” are now charging over MSRP. Those dealers were uneducated at the time. This car is on fire and everyone wants a piece.

kmkia

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
More from Hickory, NC
There will be no discount on the vehicle. There is not a single Telluride in the country like this one. I have people from Mississippi, Florida, West Virginia, and Arkansas who are interested in this vehicle whenever it becomes available! That is just me not including the other sales team! We would much prefer to sell it locally more so than sending it out of the state!

The vehicle should be coming available within the next two weeks and the price will be $53,450!

popcrnchicken

Reaction score
More from Hickory, NC
There will be no discount on the vehicle. There is not a single Telluride in the country like this one. I have people from Mississippi, Florida, West Virginia, and Arkansas who are interested in this vehicle whenever it becomes available! That is just me not including the other sales team! We would much prefer to sell it locally more so than sending it out of the state!

The vehicle should be coming available within the next two weeks and the price will be $53,450!
FYI, you can still technically order an SX, just not an SX prestige. I found a dealer that took my order yesterday for MSRP. Look for a different dealer.

gzy99

Reaction score
Yup, thats what I am waiting for. I did reach out to Capitol Kia, and told them I was waiting for a dealer to match Costco pricing. End of the year, I think it may happen. I am in no rush, so can wait.

Jdrn21

Reaction score
Gateway Kia in North Brunswick, NJ wouldn't budge from MSRP, and their SX non-Prestiges had sticker prices of $49,550.
Then that is not MSRP. if they're adding dealer addendum stickers than that is not considered part of the MSRP. Sounds like they're basically jacking up the price

njchpd

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Central Kia of Plano is a dealership that has no shame. They have taken the greed of car sales to a whole new level. Here is a story that speaks for itself.

On 3/23/19 I placed a $1,000 “nonrefundable” deposit with Central Kia of Plano on a 2020 SW Telluride w/prestige package. The exterior was white and the interior was dune brown. The deal was for $600 over invoice and a quote of $21,000 on my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport trade in, after sending pictures. The deal was completed via e-mail.

On 5/23/19 I was advised by my salesperson that he was leaving Central Kia for a management position with another car company. Up to this point there was direct communication regarding the delays with the Telluride w/prestige package. My former salesperson called to advise me he was leaving but strangely I never heard this info from the dealership. In addition, prior to 5/23 Kia Motors Corporate had advised all Kia dealerships nationwide that they would no longer taking any additional orders on the SW-P because there was a huge backlog at the KMMG. I made several calls to the dealership checking on the status of my order with no additional info.

I was assured by my new contact person, Vincent Clementi (a sales manager) that the original deal was still in place and he had my folder with the info. Eventually I was given a deadline of 6/13/19 as a day additional info would be available. I called Mr. Clementi, who gave me a VIN #5XYP5DHC3LG028086 and advised my ordered vehicle was 1-2 weeks away.

On 6/14/19, the very next, I was contacted by Mr. Clementi and was advised that my ordered vehicle had fallen off the vehicle transporter along with 2 other vehicles and was a total loss. To say I was surprised is an understatement. I asked about seeing photos of the wrecked ordered vehicle but was told no photos would be forthcoming. At this point I became very suspicious and believed a good old bait & bait was being used. Up to this point I had been waiting 13 weeks.

I believe Central Kia simply doesn’t want to sell me the ordered Telluride at the agreed upon price. They still have my deposit. To say that this is unethical business practices is a huge understatement. It has also given me a clear picture of Kia’s business model and practices - shady & deceptive. Kia vehicles might be better but their sales methods are old and outdated.

In closing, this decision wasn’t made at the sales or management level but at the ownership level. This lets you know what kind of dealership you are dealing with, an unscrupulous one. I could have gotten a Telluride elsewhere but wasted my time on Central Kia Of Plano.

JenB

Reaction score
Central Kia of Plano is a dealership that has no shame. They have taken the greed of car sales to a whole new level. Here is a story that speaks for itself.

On 3/23/19 I placed a $1,000 “nonrefundable” deposit with Central Kia of Plano on a 2020 SW Telluride w/prestige package. The exterior was white and the interior was dune brown. The deal was for $600 over invoice and a quote of $21,000 on my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport trade in, after sending pictures. The deal was completed via e-mail.

On 5/23/19 I was advised by my salesperson that he was leaving Central Kia for a management position with another car company. Up to this point there was direct communication regarding the delays with the Telluride w/prestige package. My former salesperson called to advise me he was leaving but strangely I never heard this info from the dealership. In addition, prior to 5/23 Kia Motors Corporate had advised all Kia dealerships nationwide that they would no longer taking any additional orders on the SW-P because there was a huge backlog at the KMMG. I made several calls to the dealership checking on the status of my order with no additional info.

I was assured by my new contact person, Vincent Clementi (a sales manager) that the original deal was still in place and he had my folder with the info. Eventually I was given a deadline of 6/13/19 as a day additional info would be available. I called Mr. Clementi, who gave me a VIN #5XYP5DHC3LG028086 and advised my ordered vehicle was 1-2 weeks away.

On 6/14/19, the very next, I was contacted by Mr. Clementi and was advised that my ordered vehicle had fallen off the vehicle transporter along with 2 other vehicles and was a total loss. To say I was surprised is an understatement. I asked about seeing photos of the wrecked ordered vehicle but was told no photos would be forthcoming. At this point I became very suspicious and believed a good old bait & bait was being used. Up to this point I had been waiting 13 weeks.

I believe Central Kia simply doesn’t want to sell me the ordered Telluride at the agreed upon price. They still have my deposit. To say that this is unethical business practices is a huge understatement. It has also given me a clear picture of Kia’s business model and practices - shady & deceptive. Kia vehicles might be better but their sales methods are old and outdated.

In closing, this decision wasn’t made at the sales or management level but at the ownership level. This lets you know what kind of dealership you are dealing with, an unscrupulous one. I could have gotten a Telluride elsewhere but wasted my time on Central Kia Of Plano.
So, they say it fell off truck, was destroyed and now what... you have to start all over, and no chance of an SX-P replacement? But what will they or the transport company do to make up for this loss for you? If this is true, doesn’t the dealer get to recoup their loss via the transport company?
When you say this decision was made at the owner level, I’m not sure I understand. What decision was made by the dealer/owner? The decision to lie and pull the rug out from under you? Or How do you know the sales team isn’t just covering their butts because they made a mistake and never ordered it, or sold it to someone else for over sticker?
It all Sounds bogus for sure, but I’m curious if they’re offering something or anything to you to make up for this somehow? Or are they just giving your deposit back and leaving you in a lurch? If so, I would pursue a dealer complaint with Kia corporate AND the media, since they required a non-refundable deposit and haven’t provided proof that “your” Telluride was damaged (in other words, they’re lying). Likely your Telluride went to the highest bidder. Or they never actually ordered it on your behalf before the Prestige cut off.
As a side note, when I was shopping for my Optima in DFW years ago, that dealer in Plano gave me the creepiest / slickest feeling, which is how I needed up at Huffines in McKinney, which was a lot better.... not fantastic at Huffines, but better than Central.
I’m very sorry for your loss and frustration and their apparent BS game!

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So, they say it fell off truck, was destroyed and now what... you have to start all over, and no chance of an SX-P replacement? But what will they or the transport company do to make up for this loss for you? If this is true, doesn’t the dealer get to recoup their loss via the transport company?
When you say this decision was made at the owner level, I’m not sure I understand. What decision was made by the dealer/owner? The decision to lie and pull the rug out from under you? Or How do you know the sales team isn’t just covering their butts because they made a mistake and never ordered it, or sold it to someone else for over sticker?
It all Sounds bogus for sure, but I’m curious if they’re offering something or anything to you to make up for this somehow? Or are they just giving your deposit back and leaving you in a lurch? If so, I would pursue a dealer complaint with Kia corporate AND the media, since they required a non-refundable deposit and haven’t provided proof that “your” Telluride was damaged (in other words, they’re lying). Likely your Telluride went to the highest bidder. Or they never actually ordered it on your behalf before the Prestige cut off.
As a side note, when I was shopping for my Optima in DFW years ago, that dealer in Plano gave me the creepiest / slickest feeling, which is how I needed up at Huffines in McKinney, which was a lot better.... not fantastic at Huffines, but better than Central.
I’m very sorry for your loss and frustration and their apparent BS game!
I concur. Dealers are doing anything to sell cars to the “highest bidder” <— an exact quote from Kia of Irvine. They were willing to sell me someone else’s Telluride if I “outbid” them. I told them to F-off!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

njchpd

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You have the VIN, keep track of it on carfax..you will be able to tell f they sold it to someone else.
I'm law enforcement (but they didn't know that) so the VIN will be tracked. And I could just contact my credit card company but since they want to play games I'll be filing a theft report with Plano PD if my money isn't returned promptly.

njchpd

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I received my "non refundable" $1000 deposit back yesterday. I submitted a complaint to Kia Customer Affairs and received an email back from James Bell (Director of Corporate Communications at Kia USA) who was lied to by the dealership to try and cover up their BS. I submitted info to the BBB, Deal Rater, Yelp and a few other places. The only thing I regret is wasting 3+ months waiting on a phantom Telluride.