No soliciting permitted.

Bad Dealer Dealings - List Your Bad Dealer Experience

bags

Reaction score
FYI, the Sipala dealerships in West Chester PA and Coatesville PA are charging minimum $5K above sticker. Guy told me that with a straight face and gave me the "take it or leave it" shrug off. Very smug and very slimy. Not a good look for Kia if they're trying to go a little more up-market.
If you are looking for MSRP in the Philadelphia area, you'll want to check our Murray Kia in Conshohocken or Sussman Kia in Jenkintown. Those are the two I know of that are selling at MSRP. I purchased from Sussman Kia, but I've heard good things about Murray Kia.

Last edited:

bcjenkins

Reaction score
It is interesting to me that people think Kia has much control over the prices dealers will charge. These are independent dealers who buy the cars from Kia. They can sell them for whatever the market bears. Just keep shopping the market and if you are needing one sooner rather than later consider getting it shipped in from the many dealers charging MSRP or lower. There are a few active on this forum too. Until people stop paying over MSRP, the dealers will make their money.

qwikhit

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
It is interesting to me that people think Kia has much control over the prices dealers will charge. These are independent dealers who buy the cars from Kia. They can sell them for whatever the market bears. Just keep shopping the market and if you are needing one sooner rather than later consider getting it shipped in from the many dealers charging MSRP or lower. There are a few active on this forum too. Until people stop paying over MSRP, the dealers will make their money.
💯

TMiles

Reaction score
Napelton Kia in Carmel, IN and fishers have $5k+ markups. I didn’t know any better so I put the deposit down so they’d start looking for the car. After a few days of waiting and calling around to other dealers, I realized that two others in Indy were selling at msrp. I told napelton to either order me the one I wanted and sell it to me at msrp or give me back my deposit. They chose to give me back my deposit. I felt bad for the sales guy because he was great and spent two days selling me on it.
Can I ask which Skillman dealer you used? I ordered through West on 1/11, so hoping my timeline reflects yours!

Glenn Pollitt

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Southwest KIA in Austin, TX. They had 2 SXP in stock that I was interested in. They quoted a price of $12000.00 over MSRP. I guess that is why they have it in their inventory. Oh well, I guess I will go the order route from a REPUTABLE dealer.

YAH DEF

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Southwest KIA in Austin, TX. They had 2 SXP in stock that I was interested in. They quoted a price of $12000.00 over MSRP. I guess that is why they have it in their inventory. Oh well, I guess I will go the order route from a REPUTABLE dealer.
Congrats! 12k over MSRP is a winner from what I've seen in this thread! Lol. Others may have heard of more.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Kourtp22

Reaction score
So I ordered a White SX back in mid November and dealer told me they estimated 10 to 12 weeks for delivery. Over the next few weeks the salesman updated me a couple of times saying early feburary was the due date. So last week I found this forum (thank God) and learned that really dealers should be or could provide you with more info about the car you've ordered such as being accepted by Kia and VIN and so on. Also learned about the ordering process from here and dealer allocation. So after looking on failcat and seeing that there was no recent VIN for a car matching my specifications for my dealer I realized there was no way the car could be here by early February.
So yesterday I just randomly decided to use failcat to search for the color and trim of car I wanted to see if anyone near me had gotten one or was expected to get one. Called a few dealers at 6:30pm right before closing time and found someone who has just gotten one in that was 3 hours away from me. I told him I needed to contact my original dealer in the morning and ger my deposit of $2k back. Texted the salesman in the morning. He read my text but didn't reply. Called the dealership after 1 hours to ask for him was put through someone else who then said they would have the manager call me. Manager calls and says that the sales guy I was working with was 1. No longer working at the dealership and 2. Never gave him the info for me to order the car and that he found a folder with my check for deposit and order info in his office. I was dumbfounded. He had been in communication with me about the car only 1 or 2 days ago. What kind of psychopath would be giving me unsolicited updates about the car for weeks if it had never been ordered?

What I suspect happened is that the salesman and his manager (even though manager is blaming it all on the guy) both knew that car was not ordered. Thanks to failcat (thank God for whomever contributed to making that site) I saw that this store was a very low volume store. If i remember correctly I saw only 20 something telluride VINs created for that store. That is what made me immediately start questioning things. I think they didn't get an allocation from Kia for an SX and so were just waiting til they did to then submit my order.

Anyways, I got my deposit back, drove 3 hours away with my 6 month old and 3 year old and picked up a white sx today. Terrible experienxe but I'm super happy in the end. Just wanted to share my experience and thank you all for sharing your Telluride info on this forum. If I hadn't found this site I would have been strung along for who knows how long like the idiot I am. Lol

Thanks all!

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
So I ordered a White SX back in mid November and dealer told me they estimated 10 to 12 weeks for delivery. Over the next few weeks the salesman updated me a couple of times saying early feburary was the due date. So last week I found this forum (thank God) and learned that really dealers should be or could provide you with more info about the car you've ordered such as being accepted by Kia and VIN and so on. Also learned about the ordering process from here and dealer allocation. So after looking on failcat and seeing that there was no recent VIN for a car matching my specifications for my dealer I realized there was no way the car could be here by early February.
So yesterday I just randomly decided to use failcat to search for the color and trim of car I wanted to see if anyone near me had gotten one or was expected to get one. Called a few dealers at 6:30pm right before closing time and found someone who has just gotten one in that was 3 hours away from me. I told him I needed to contact my original dealer in the morning and ger my deposit of $2k back. Texted the salesman in the morning. He read my text but didn't reply. Called the dealership after 1 hours to ask for him was put through someone else who then said they would have the manager call me. Manager calls and says that the sales guy I was working with was 1. No longer working at the dealership and 2. Never gave him the info for me to order the car and that he found a folder with my check for deposit and order info in his office. I was dumbfounded. He had been in communication with me about the car only 1 or 2 days ago. What kind of psychopath would be giving me unsolicited updates about the car for weeks if it had never been ordered?

What I suspect happened is that the salesman and his manager (even though manager is blaming it all on the guy) both knew that car was not ordered. Thanks to failcat (thank God for whomever contributed to making that site) I saw that this store was a very low volume store. If i remember correctly I saw only 20 something telluride VINs created for that store. That is what made me immediately start questioning things. I think they didn't get an allocation from Kia for an SX and so were just waiting til they did to then submit my order.

Anyways, I got my deposit back, drove 3 hours away with my 6 month old and 3 year old and picked up a white sx today. Terrible experienxe but I'm super happy in the end. Just wanted to share my experience and thank you all for sharing your Telluride info on this forum. If I hadn't found this site I would have been strung along for who knows how long like the idiot I am. Lol

Thanks all!
Congratulations!

...but your post is worthless without pics 😈

welcome to the forum 🤓

KeepYourLaneClean

Reaction score
Galeana Kia in Columbia SC quoted me approx 2500 markup. Said they are one of the lowest when most dealers are marking up 10K.
:rolleyes:
Galeana Kia of Columbia doesn't have the stock or the knowledge. I purchased my Chrysler there (Chrysler/Jeep side). I asked them to quote me an S basic, and the guy kept telling me that captain chairs were part of a premium package and insisted on selling me a car that I was not asking for. I thought to give them another shot and same thing. I had to screen shot where Kia's website had the captain chairs listed as a standard feature of the S.

However, I went to JT's Kia of Columbia, and wanted to test the car they had on their website. 15 tellurides were listed. I get there the next day and only a used 2020 Telluride S was available for me to test drive, and they tried to sell that to me. After I was adamant about only purchasing what I wanted to purchase, they finally quoted me a factory build. It took 1 week of going back and forth with both JT Kia and Galeana to just receive a quote. The sales manager at JT's said it could take 4-6 weeks for the car to be completed, then quoted 8-10 weeks, with a $1999 dealer mark-up and a mandatory $499 ELO GPS installation fee (which I believe would already be on the vehicle, but they want to recoup the cost from the customer) once I sat down with them going over the features. And they wanted a NR $1000 deposit. The $2500 markup seems to be in line with JT's Kia, as well. I eventually told them that I wanted to get another financing option secured before I commit to the deposit.

I took the knowledge and went to another dealership in NC and asked for a quote, which they provide within 1 hour! (Not 1 week of constant back and forth from the local dealers). I told them about my quote and they matched the out the door price, but wanted $1000 down to hold it over the phone. Since I can't see any documents, I declined the deposit (which would be NR, more than likely), but will visit them tomorrow.

JenP

Reaction score
I started my Kia purchasing experience in April 2020 at Jerry Seiner KIA in Salt Lake City Utah. My husband and I went in to order our Telly on April 9th, a couple of days after I finally got to test drive it around the block. By the time we wanted to order, I was handed off to two different salesmen. The young man we ended up ordering with was Drew. He just rubbed me the wrong way from the get go. After I did 6 months of research on the Telly, I felt like I knew more about this car than he did. He tried hard to make us think he knew better (insert rolling eyes here). As we were leaving, he told us that it would take 4-6 months (seemed reasonable with Covid just starting) for us to get our car and that he would call us every month to give me updates on where it is in the ordering process. He NEVER called me. After a couple of months I decided to call. During this call he informed me that I won’t be getting my car for 5-8 more months and that it will be a 2021 and I will be paying more money. He reassured me that I was still in line for the order to be processed, however. He then, again, let me know that he would call. Since I was now getting the 2021 model I wanted to research what types of upgrades or options were. I found the new options wonderful, so I called at the beginning of July and asked if we could get the Telly in wolf grey NF package without losing my place in line for the ordering process. Yes, that was possible! So we went in again to get official paperwork with the new NF package and then some original options. Once again, we were told we would get a call every month with updates. No updates, big surprise. In the middle of October after not hearing from them, I called. I was told Drew went to management and that’s why I hadn’t heard from anyone. What a bunch of crock, I hadn’t heard from him when he was my salesman!! So then they told me I would be working with another salesman. “Great,” I thought. “Maybe this salesman would be better.” HA! Nope. He told me I was sitting at 20th in the queue for orders (which was where I was in July when we reordered), I was still at 20. How could this be?! I was so mad. He passed me off to another salesman. This salesman, did end up calling me at the end of November to let me know that I have now moved to 1st SX in line. Seem strange?! Yep! From 20th to 1st in a few weeks. Sounds fishy like they knew they messed up.

I decided to check failcat in December to see if there were any cars describing my order. I saw their first Wolf Grey SX N/T/P. So, I called and asked if this was my car. A different salesman told me that it was. I was so excited. But, because the VIN tab wasn’t working on failcat, I couldn’t see the sticker. So the salesman sent me the sticker through email. It wasn’t my car. I had not ordered the specific options that were on the sticker. I called back and let them know that that wasn’t my car, even though my name was assigned to it in their records. He started arguing with me telling me that it was my car. I emailed him my order. I knew it was too good to be true. Finally, I got to talk to the manager. He did his best to apologize and reassure me my car was being built, but didn’t give me any date or when it was picked up by KIA. He told me the reason mine wasn’t showing up was because I ordered things that the factory didn’t have. But, he reassured me, he could put those things on when it got to the dealership. The dealership had them but the factory where the car is being built doesn’t have them?! Is this for real? I don’t understand how this could be. Anyway. Two weeks ago, 1-15-2021, I went back on failcat to see if there were anymore WG SX N/T/P. Three more were added. Once again I couldn’t see the sticker for the VIN’s posted, so I called to talk with the manager. He told me none of those were my car but that my car “is” being built with an ETA of March 6th but doesn’t have a VIN yet. Why no one called to let me know that things were moving forward, beats me?! The manager told me those cars I saw were for delivery Feb 28th- March 7th. He skirted around a couple of my questions but, whatever, I finally had a ETA. Last week, 1-19-2021, I was able to click on the VIN to see all the stickers. What do I find? My car was indeed one of the three posted the week prior. It had all my options. But yet I was told none of those were mine. So, being the pest that I am, I called and gave them the specific VIN that had all of my options from my order. Another salesman looked up the VIN and said, that yes, my name was placed on that VIN. Why wouldn’t the manager tell me that when I called? All in all, from all the salesmen I worked with to the manager, my experience has been horrible. No one could ever give me an honest answer. If you live in Utah, stay away from Jerry Seiner KIA. Needless to say, I told them they may not put their name anywhere on my car. In the end, I know I should have just gone to a different dealer. Sigh...

Rendon2429

Reaction score
Can I ask which Skillman dealer you used? I ordered through West on 1/11, so hoping my timeline reflects yours!
I went through Ray Skillman Shadeland! Good luck! 😎😎