No soliciting permitted.

Bad Dealer Dealings - List Your Bad Dealer Experience

Katy_Tell

Reaction score
Nightmare experience at Yonkers Kia. I ordered my car (Wolf Gray EX) in July for $3000 over MSRP. Finally received my VIN number in October and began anxiously tracking it. As soon as it arrived at the dealership in November I began calling and emailing to schedule pick up. When I finally got someone on the phone 5 days later, I found out THEY SOLD MY CAR TO SOMEONE ELSE. They did not attempt to contact me once.

No apology. No effort to make it right. Their best offer was to wait for another Wolf Gray EX due to arrive in December that doesn't match my order (still $3000 over MSRP). Absolute garbage customer service. I will never deal with them again, except possibly to sue for breach of contract.
That is sick!!! In fact, made me sick to my stomach when I read this. (Like Monday’s aren’t bad enough!). You should make sure you ream them with a Yelp and Google review, and anywhere else! With regard to purchasing a new vehicle, what will be your next move?

rocketdays

Reaction score
That is sick!!! In fact, made me sick to my stomach when I read this. (Like Monday’s aren’t bad enough!). You should make sure you ream them with a Yelp and Google review, and anywhere else! With regard to purchasing a new vehicle, what will be your next move?
I was able to find a "close enough" car in stock at a dealership 3 hours away. I'm now paying $5k markup instead of $3k and not getting the options I wanted, but it's worth it to get a car now and to be done with Yonkers Kia.

Katy_Tell

Reaction score
I was able to find a "close enough" car in stock at a dealership 3 hours away. I'm now paying $5k markup instead of $3k and not getting the options I wanted, but it's worth it to get a car now and to be done with Yonkers Kia.
Really a shame you feel the need to go that route. But, understandable. The wait time on a new order (after what they did to you) would be a REAL pain. I am not a fan of paying a markup, especially if I am not getting the vehicle I want. But, depending on circumstances….

Thanks for sharing. From your postings, you seem to have handled it pretty well. Better than me!

Rick26

Reaction score
Finally decided to make the jump to a new Telluride. Currently driving a great 2016 Sedona (yes, a van!!). It's a fantastic vehicle (SXL Model) and it's been a great vehicle for us. Now, at 5+ years of age (but, only 47k miles), we're ready for something newer. Seriously thought about a new Carnival SX Prestige but found out there was no hope of getting one like we want anytime in this century!! :) I don't know if KIA is making any or not (all are built in Korea), but no dealer in my immediate area has ANY for sale.
Anyway, back to the Telluride. Got on the KIA website and searched inventory for the trim and options we wanted (Ebony Black SX with black leather interior, Nightfall and Prestige packages). Found one at KIA Mall of Georgia (Buford, GA), about 150 miles from me. Called to verify that they actually had the car, it was available for sale, and it matched the specs shown on the website. All affirmative. Told them what I had for a trade, that I lived 150 miles away and wanted to drive down to see the new Telluride. They said they'd put a hold on it for 3 hours (plenty of time for me to get there).
Made the trip with the Sedona. Met the sales person and took a test drive in the Telluride. Man, was it sweet. It was just what we were looking for!
Now, the "negotiations" begin. They had previously told me on the phone that they would be asking over MSRP for it and I understood that when I made the trip. However, I didn't expect 10K over MSRP! Yep, they informed me that they were only selling their "high demand" vehicles at 10K above MSRP. OK, so I asked, what were you going to give me for my Sedona. Their answer, 10K BELOW KBB! In other words, they were looking to make 20K on this one deal. No negotiation, no consideration, no nothing....take it or leave it. So, as you might have guessed, I left it. Came back home with my Sedona. Made another visit to my local dealer, asked about ordering one and found that they are happy to take my order for just what I want at MSRP...no "jack up". Of course, it'll be 4-5 months before I see it but at least I'm not getting hosed on the deal.

rcoplien

Reaction score
Finally decided to make the jump to a new Telluride. Currently driving a great 2016 Sedona (yes, a van!!). It's a fantastic vehicle (SXL Model) and it's been a great vehicle for us. Now, at 5+ years of age (but, only 47k miles), we're ready for something newer. Seriously thought about a new Carnival SX Prestige but found out there was no hope of getting one like we want anytime in this century!! :) I don't know if KIA is making any or not (all are built in Korea), but no dealer in my immediate area has ANY for sale.
Anyway, back to the Telluride. Got on the KIA website and searched inventory for the trim and options we wanted (Ebony Black SX with black leather interior, Nightfall and Prestige packages). Found one at KIA Mall of Georgia (Buford, GA), about 150 miles from me. Called to verify that they actually had the car, it was available for sale, and it matched the specs shown on the website. All affirmative. Told them what I had for a trade, that I lived 150 miles away and wanted to drive down to see the new Telluride. They said they'd put a hold on it for 3 hours (plenty of time for me to get there).
Made the trip with the Sedona. Met the sales person and took a test drive in the Telluride. Man, was it sweet. It was just what we were looking for!
Now, the "negotiations" begin. They had previously told me on the phone that they would be asking over MSRP for it and I understood that when I made the trip. However, I didn't expect 10K over MSRP! Yep, they informed me that they were only selling their "high demand" vehicles at 10K above MSRP. OK, so I asked, what were you going to give me for my Sedona. Their answer, 10K BELOW KBB! In other words, they were looking to make 20K on this one deal. No negotiation, no consideration, no nothing....take it or leave it. So, as you might have guessed, I left it. Came back home with my Sedona. Made another visit to my local dealer, asked about ordering one and found that they are happy to take my order for just what I want at MSRP...no "jack up". Of course, it'll be 4-5 months before I see it but at least I'm not getting hosed on the deal.
Will be interesting though what that dealership will be giving you for a trade-in on your Sedona

Rick26

Reaction score
Will be interesting though what that dealership will be giving you for a trade-in on your Sedona
They already made me an offer...5K more than the other one but still not enough. I'll probably sell it outright (FB Marketplace, Craigslist) or might go with Carvana or CarMax.

rcoplien

Reaction score
Carvana and CarMax will low ball you even more. Stick with FB Marketplace or see if any surounding dealers would buy it from you for more.

rockadile

Reaction score
Carvana and CarMax will low ball you even more. Stick with FB Marketplace or see if any surounding dealers would buy it from you for more.
Not necessarily. I got an offer from Vroom and listed my car for a few thousand over that figuring I could negotiate down. All I got was low-ball offers (mainly from dealers) over the course of several months (while slowly dropping the sales price). Ended up selling it to Vroom in the end.

rcoplien

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I got an offer from Vroom and listed my car for a few thousand over that figuring I could negotiate down. All I got was low-ball offers (mainly from dealers) over the course of several months (while slowly dropping the sales price). Ended up selling it to Vroom in the end.
Wow that's the opposite from what I got I have a 2013 Dodge Durango Citadel and I've had a few dealerships offered me $12,000 to $12,500 and Vroom, Carvana and CarMax all quoted me $9,500 unless

arattle

Solutions
Reaction score
Wow that's the opposite from what I got I have a 2013 Dodge Durango Citadel and I've had a few dealerships offered me $12,000 to $12,500 and Vroom, Carvana and CarMax all quoted me $9,500 unless
Mileage varies on this. I got a lot more from Carvana than either Carmax or Vroom offered. Dealer offered me 5k less than that.

NT_

Reaction score
rocketdays said:
Nightmare experience at Yonkers Kia.

Damn, I have a deposit there on a white S due next month.

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Do you need a car that urgently? Otherwise, why not order from somewhere else and wait? I don't know your situation but that markup is crazy. And you'll most likely regret it later since it's not the car you want.

rockadile

Reaction score
Do you need a car that urgently? Otherwise, why not order from somewhere else and wait? I don't know your situation but that markup is crazy. And you'll most likely regret it later since it's not the car you want.
I know I would regret it as any markup paid is likely not recoupable come time to sell unless you sell it during the shortage.

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I know I would regret it as any markup paid is likely not recoupable come time to sell unless you sell it during the shortage.
I would understand if your lease is up and need a car, but if you're trying to replace a 3-4 year old car why not wait? Yes you may get a lot on your trade-in but also would be paying more for the new one. We all know that ordering it at MSRP and getting the max for your trade-in would work if you're willing to wait.

ashah491

Reaction score
And to think they're a few miles away from Sussman, who still take MSRP orders.
stay away from sussman especially AJ. I've yet to get him to answer an email despite asking for updates numerous times. When I call, he can't answer any of my questions. I ended up reaching out to the sales manager directly to get any sort of real information regarding my order. Was told a 3-4 month wait when I ordered. I then called in as 3 months was coming up, and he said it was going to be closer to 4. Understandable, since that was still in the original range. I then called a month later and he was saying 6 months. I asked how many cars were ahead of mine, how many get picked up etc, and he couldn't answer any of my questions. I ended up asking for the sales manager who was much more helpful and told me that my order from August hasn't been picked up yet and they know everything they have coming in until end of February and mine wasn't in that list. He said the earliest I should expect my car is March or April.

sprengBoard

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Reaction score
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

ashah491

Reaction score
Nightmare experience at Yonkers Kia. I ordered my car (Wolf Gray EX) in July for $3000 over MSRP. Finally received my VIN number in October and began anxiously tracking it. As soon as it arrived at the dealership in November I began calling and emailing to schedule pick up. When I finally got someone on the phone 5 days later, I found out THEY SOLD MY CAR TO SOMEONE ELSE. They did not attempt to contact me once.

No apology. No effort to make it right. Their best offer was to wait for another Wolf Gray EX due to arrive in December that doesn't match my order (still $3000 over MSRP). Absolute garbage customer service. I will never deal with them again, except possibly to sue for breach of contract.
Who did you deal with? I almost thought about going back to them to see if they had any on the lot but they’re still charging 5k markup on an ex to order.

ashah491

Reaction score
Out of curiosity are you getting a car from destination kia in Albany?

nightfall your telluride
Get your luxury badges right here in the Telluride forum store
Kia Telluride Clubs
Protect your vehicle from code scanners