Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

What did you pay for your KIA Telluride?

Luvcats69

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This makes me sad. Should have used Honecker app. It’s a freaking Kia.
It's crazy to me that people are willing to pay over MSRP for any vehicle, let alone a Kia. And when it comes to leasing, putting down money and paying over $600 a month to drive 10k miles a year is utter insanity, imo.

No wonder dealers are adding market adjusted pricing to the sales price. There are people willing to fork over the money.

ga1322

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It's crazy to me that people are willing to pay over MSRP for any vehicle, let alone a Kia. And when it comes to leasing, putting down money and paying over $600 a month to drive 10k miles a year is utter insanity, imo.

No wonder dealers are adding market adjusted pricing to the sales price. There are people willing to fork over the money.
It just goes to show you how well Kia (and probably Hyundai) hit the spot on this vehicle. They’ve made something unique and luxurious and introduced at a price that attracts so many different types of buyers. There will always be people that are willing to pay whatever it takes for what they want. Unfortunately that affects the market negatively for those that won’t... for a while

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

It seems crazy too me that anyone would judge someone else's opinion of what they value most.

Plus, your assessment of Kia, is fifteen years outdated. Kia is making some mighty fine automobiles with an emphasis on value, safety, and reliability. They are an incredible value when compared to any competition.

Last edited:

Nototrader

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I bought one. It msrp was bad enough. It’s a commodity, not a one off. I’m judging the poor business acumen, not the choice of vehicle.

Robert

Reaction score
I bought the s trim 500 below msrp plus 2500 in incentives. Took advantage of loyalty incentives. I am paying 458 month for 72 months. My trade in value was plus 6000 down.

G

G-206778

Telly is currently a unicorn. Not another vehicle that can match it for the same money, even at MSRP or a bit above, at least for the features we found valuable in our circumstances, which is what it all comes down to, right? We were ok with paying what we paid because it checked all the important boxes for us. We all need to decide for ourselves and maybe not judge others quite so much. Maybe say thank you more.

JenB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Even though I think I got ripped off and it is embarrassing, I will share my details in the hopes that it helps others.

I am in NJ. I was searching on Kia.com for a SX-P and found one at a dealership 60 miles away. It is a SX with Prestige Package in Black Copper with Dune Brown leather seats. It has the towing package, carpeted floor mats, cargo tray, and wheel locks so the total MSRP including options and handling came to $48,110 on the window sticker.

I went this past Saturday (6/8/2019) and got the vehicle. I won't bore you with the negotiation process unless someone asks so here are my final numbers off the lease paperwork:

Gross Capitalized Cost: $58,196
Capitalized Cost Reduction: $4,890
Adjusted Capitalized Cost: $53,305
Residual Value: $25,979
Rent Charge: $7,954
Total of Base Monthly Payment: $35,280
Payments: 48
Monthly Payment: $735
Miles per year: 10,000

In summary, I put $5,000 down, it is $735 a month for 48 months with 10,000 miles per year.
I appreciate you sharing this, and won’t pour salt in the wounds. I was wondering if dealers were lying that people will pay that much more over MSRP, so in a way, thanks for confirming people are in fact paying that much 😊You obviously really wanted this Telluride, and I get that!! I would be really discouraged by your “deal” though if I didn’t already make my purchase!

Jdrn21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
OTD is a problem with kia's. Right now have an order for an sxp moss dune with bumper guard, light kit, scuff kit, skid plate, mud guards. It was 48,000 before government fees, will be closer to 53k when I get out the door. About 800 in government fees, stupid tax, license, dmv. 1,200 for extended warranty. 3,000 in paint protection at local detailer. Don't qualify for any incentives. But basically paying 675 under msrp. Was also offered by another dealer at msrp. The 3 other dealers wanted way above msrp.

It was possible to get under msrp while the accepted orders. Now that they are not, I doubt you could get msrp.
$4200 total for paint protection and an extended warranty? Why oh why.... Kia has a 10 year warranty and you have insurance. I don't see a reason why anyone would get an extended warranty on a vehicle. I'm not railing on you but it seems your OTD debacle was your own doing. What you value is your subjective decision, and we all should and can respect that. But it seemed you were complaining about your OTD costs when most would have navigated far less OTD. Doesn't make your decision wrong, it just makes it yours. Warranties are a gamble. I have an 11 year old Chevy avalanche with my telluride on the way. I didn't purchase an extended warranty and my truck has never had any repair work done even today at 184k miles. Our past experiences guide our future decisions. So as long as you feel comfortable with your decision that's all that matters

Last edited:

Jdrn21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So what is everyone going to think about this in 6 months to a year from now when the MSRP (sticker, or suggestion as you say) is the same, and they will be available for less. And then
the incentives on top of that. Wait let me guess, the first ones that were released will be worth more or be of higher value. We have to remember no matter how much we want it, it is still just a depreciating item (car). I guess I am still not wanting one bad enough to over pay.
You are right, but that is your choice/prerogative. I can get a CD player for one tenth of the price I could 10 years ago, but I wanted that CD player 10 years ago. Waiting doesn't make someone a more intelligent consumer. An intelligent consumer is one who is looking at the Kia telluride as a value option vs many overpriced competitors. So in that regard I'd say someone who has a telluride now is smart in their own right

Last edited:

Jdgate

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Even though I think I got ripped off and it is embarrassing, I will share my details in the hopes that it helps others.

I am in NJ. I was searching on Kia.com for a SX-P and found one at a dealership 60 miles away. It is a SX with Prestige Package in Black Copper with Dune Brown leather seats. It has the towing package, carpeted floor mats, cargo tray, and wheel locks so the total MSRP including options and handling came to $48,110 on the window sticker.

I went this past Saturday (6/8/2019) and got the vehicle. I won't bore you with the negotiation process unless someone asks so here are my final numbers off the lease paperwork:

Gross Capitalized Cost: $58,196
Capitalized Cost Reduction: $4,890
Adjusted Capitalized Cost: $53,305
Residual Value: $25,979
Rent Charge: $7,954
Total of Base Monthly Payment: $35,280
Payments: 48
Monthly Payment: $735
Miles per year: 10,000

In summary, I put $5,000 down, it is $735 a month for 48 months with 10,000 miles per year.
I also will thank you for your honesty. It's refreshing to see. You got the car you wanted and were comfortable paying that price. Live and learn for next time. I am sure next year people will be bagging on those of us who are paying MSRP before incentives, wait some already are, LOL. I will say this, I am not a lease person as I tend to keep my vehicles for 6 or more years. Looking at what you put down, and not knowing tax rate etc. if I would I have done the same deal (in my state) for an SX (instead of the SXP) at MSRP to own instead of lease, I could have made the same monthly payment as you for 60 months and owned it outright. SXP for about $40-50 more a month. To each their own.

alexdrums

Reaction score
Weesa20:

Congratulations on your new ride!

It doesn’t sound like Kia to raise their MSRP that much in one year. For one thing, at this time next year the Telluride will have so much more competition, the Palisade, Explorer, XT6, Aviator, the new Highlander, etc.
This is actually an old dealer tactic. I remember looking at a Hyundai Excel back in the early 80s, and the salesman was telling me how the prices were definitely going up next year...that they just couldn’t afford to keep selling them at this amazing price!! Those prices really didn’t go up for years. Luckily, the Telluride is a 1000 times better than the Excel...that car was a real dog!
The only thing that matters is what you are paying for a car right now...and hopefully it is at or preferably below the market price. The future is a total unknown and these salespeople don’t have a crystal ball. They can barely even think one day ahead of their next sale.

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
No one should put any money down for a lease, let alone a $5k down. You are paying the same total amount regardless, so the down does not make you pay “less”.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
No one should put any money down for a lease, let alone a $5k down. You are paying the same total amount regardless, so the down does not make you pay “less”.
There are very good reasons to put money down on a lease.

For most car buyers, payment mgt is the most important aspect. To have a lower payment provides peace of mind.

Also, they save interest or MF on the amount they put down.

Last edited:

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
There are very good reasons to put money down on a lease.

For most car buyers, payment mgt is the most important aspect. To have a lower payment provides prace of mind.

Also, they save interest or MF on the amount they put down.
I respect your perspective and agree this is a highly debated topic. My perspective is that you are putting money down on someone else's depreciating asset. In addition, you will most likely never recover that money in the event the car is totaled. This is especially true with the Telluride due to dealer markups. The insurance company is going to compensate the owner (the bank) for the current value of the vehicle which will be below MSRP from the day you drive it off the lot. They will not care how much you paid over MSRP or what the hyped market value is......regardless of the original "cap cost" (before down payment) which will most likely be above MSRP. Banks and Insurance companies have more than enough artificial intelligence and analytical weapons to know they're always going to come out on top. Negotiate the cap cost and Money Factor, keep your down payment and apply it to your lease payments or buy the vehicle outright.

np86

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I respect your perspective and agree this is a highly debated topic. My perspective is that you are putting money down on someone else's depreciating asset. In addition, you will most likely never recover that money in the event the car is totaled. This is especially true with the Telluride due to dealer markups. The insurance company is going to compensate the owner (the bank) for the current value of the vehicle which will be below MSRP from the day you drive it off the lot. They will not care how much you paid over MSRP or what the hyped market value is......regardless of the original "cap cost" (before down payment) which will most likely be above MSRP. Banks and Insurance companies have more than enough artificial intelligence and analytical weapons to know they're always going to come out on top. Negotiate the cap cost and Money Factor, keep your down payment and apply it to your lease payments or buy the vehicle outright.
Exactly what you said.
You beat the rush and got the car you wanted, but had to pay a premium for it. For $5k down and 700+ a month, that's luxury SUV money. Obviously this is the car that you want and congrats on getting it, but its better to never put money down on a lease.

Karam.31

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone use the Costco Auto Program yet? I just saw a dealership in KY (Jake Sweeney) was added to it and they honor the pre-arranged Costco pricing. I just don't know what the pricing is yet, as you need to go into the dealership to get it.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
First, you give far too much credit to banks. As a banking executive for 25 years, I promise you we don't come out on top.

Second, the likelihood of a car being in a wreck is about 1% chance annually. Of those wrecks, the incidence if an auto being totalled is less than 10% of that 1%. Thus, this is about risk mgt for the buyer.

As a buyer, you have a greater likelihood of encountering a financial hick up during the time of a lease than being in a wreck and having your car declared a total loss.

Thus, for you this isn't what you'd do, yet it is not a wrong perspective and to declare a person should never put money down on a lease is ignorant, self absorbed, and detrimental to the education aspect of this forum.

If there is anything I've learned as a banking CFO and CLO for over 25 years is the fact that buying and or leasing a depreciable asset is about risk mgt for the acquirer. It is not as cut and dried as you'd have people believe.

Member Support

Please keep ths community Ad Free with a Supporting Member account today! For as little as $0.05 per day, you can keep this community online and ad free. CLICK HERE to send your support!